John Coltrane
Om

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
April 25th, 2012 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Meditative voyage exploring the realms of not only the music at hand, but a personal odyssey where the musicians discover their full potential, and then go even further.

There is a sublime quality within this album, a spiritual transcendence. In fact the name, "Om", is the sacred syllable in Hindu religion, which symbolizes the infinite or the entire Universe. Coltrane described Om as the "first syllable, the primal word, the word of power". The composition also contain spoken chants from the Bhagavad-Gita. There is indeed a cathartical yearning within this album that reflect John Coltrane's own interest in spirituality. The first sections of the album displays an avant-garde orchestration, there is no unity within the instruments, releasing dense layers of polyrhythms that create an anarchical atmosphere. But as the first section approaches it's climax, a piano section slowly begins to dominate, and the other instruments begin to revolve around it's lead. Due to the spiritual presence within this album, it's orchestration could be a representation of human nature in regards to religion. The piano may perhaps symbolize religion, and how when one recognizes it's presence, it brings order, a purpose within one's life.

As we enter the second part of the album, the piano section slowly loses control and the other instruments begin to follow their own path. The anarchical presence now returns, and a barrage of sounds reign over the music. There are eruption of solos from John Coltrane, but the music doesn't synchronize with the other instruments, it's just chaos. I suppose this loss of order could represent how often human beings contravene religious doctrine, by falling to temptation or other factors. The final spoken verse, speaks about divine spiritual cleansing, perhaps expressing that sins can always be forgiven by divinity. Though Om makes references to Hinduism, John Coltrane never truly associated himself with any particular religion, experimenting with numerous religious doctrines and even philosophical teachings of Plato and Aristotle. This album is merely a reference to the yearning for that sensation of ecstasy felt during spiritual cleansing. That thirst to be pure, to be innocent, and at peace with the world around us.

This was one of John Coltrane's final albums and it displays some of his most experimental work yet. It's orchestrated in an avant-garde fashion, unconventional in structure. This isn't just some mere recording session, this is a journey to see just how far these musicians can go, and we have a front row seat to witness it all. The musicians follow their own philosophy- Ignoring all the laws of music, and simply playing their instruments to harness the mystical language of music itself. It's all about how far they can go, what new realms could be explored musically by pushing themselves, and their instruments, to the final limit.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket

April 25th 2012

I will say this now, Om is not for just anyone and even the most admiring enthusiast of Jazz music may find this album unappealing. This is an album that has to be approached with an open mind to truly grasp.

ThroneOfAgony

Awesome review dude

Voivod

@ PaperbackWriter

Good review, pos.

I see that you review a lot of jazz.

Have you listened to Jan Garbarek by any chance?

Some minor corrections:

The composition also contain spoken chants

contains

within this album that reflect John Coltrane's own interest in spirituality

reflects

The first sections of the album displays an avant-garde orchestration

display

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

April 25th 2012

def gonna check this, pos bro

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

@ Throne and Captain
Thanks guys.

@Voivod
I have but I haven't listened to any of his work, could you recommend any?

Voivod
April 25th 2012

The only Jan Garbarek I have listened to is his latest album, titled In Praise Of Dreams, which is excellent.

StrangerofSorts

cheeky rating raze.

@Voivod
I'll check him out. Thanks.

Manic_
April 25th 2012

i feel like i read this before, good review though.

@Manic_
It's a re-upload. I really didnt like my original, it didnt do the album justice so i decided to do it again.

liledman
April 26th 2012

yeah i think this is better than the last one from what i can remember, nice work.

17WordHaiku
April 26th 2012

Good review! Om is sick.

VlacDrac
August 21st 2012

This album would be so much better without those voice,it sounds like they recorded it in an Exorcism.

eternium
August 21st 2012

This is some free fucking jazz.

VlacDrac
August 21st 2012

^^ I know, to me this isn't a remarkable album.