Torture Chain
Time is but a Doorway to the Incinerator

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
April 24th, 2012 | 81 replies | 4,894 views

Review Summary: Hope for the American Dream.

“”Here ye!! Here ye!! Behold the beast you’ve been waiting for. You paid good money for tonight’s show and we promised we will deliver! Dim the lights and let’s get this show started!””

Torture Chain is an American Black Metal band who quite plainly writes awesome music. With their fourth cassette/demo release “Time is but a Doorway to the Incinerator” [TIBADTTI] these guys show everyone how good music is written in the Black Metal genre. Clearly tedious amounts of time and energy must have gone into this release. Essentially the listener is taken through a one track experience of aggressive, yet delicate textures of solemnities. Beginning with clean, eerie, layered synths that slowly inch their way into your head, light entrances of serene, nylon stringed guitars dance in unison. Then, almost like an overtaking black cloud, the illustrious patterns of distorted guitars coupled with immediate drum blast beats show off their perfect bond of captivity. As various aspects of well fitted passages build off each other the perfect balance of dissonant, yet upfront shrieked vocals lay the final puzzle pieces. From this moment it’s hard not to fall into a trance.

Some notable aspects layered over the enjoyable levels of tremolos and blasts are the use of sparing solos. Used as an element to heighten faster tempos, the solo usage on “TIBADTTI” adds a bit of freshness as well as filling possible moments of stagnancy and void. With this purposeful emlement Torture Chain are fortunately smart enough to not overdo the usage of leads; thereby showing there implicit need to focus on emotion rather than wankery.

I couldn’t help but notice the “gelling” moment for me, the part that really brought everything into proper perspective and appreciation. This is the use of catchy chord transitions or what some would like to call the “riffs”. Sometimes you’ll find a harmonizing melody which gives the perfect balance of bliss, yet darkness. This is obviously due to the usage of sharps and flats in the typical guitar scales. At times you may hear melodies similar to early Dark Tranquility, then at others times you may hear a Middle Eastern pattern and even chromatic blending. Whatever the case may be it is more than apparent these guys took their time in making sure the riff transitions were smooth and cohesive to the overall nature of this 23 minute masterpiece. The journey you will experience with this release should be both enlightening and satisfying. You should be experiencing some of the best emotions you’ve felt in your life as well as some of deepest most personal emotions. It’s a gift when music can bring out such qualities within yourself. Torture Chain continue to make great meaningful music with their strongest release, which can only hint towards something greater and more special in the years to come.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

April 24th 2012

imo one of the best albums I've heard this year

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

Evreaia
April 24th 2012

I'll be checking this out for sure.

Digging: An Autumn For Crippled Children - Try Not To Destroy Everything You Love

MO
April 24th 2012

my singer told me about this, gonna check it

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

April 24th 2012

really good guys, imo their best release to date

dl is super easy to find as of now but here are two links for the whole track in two parts:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfEqAOzkcY

^that's part II but if you click it it'll show you the link for part I

I strongly encourage getting this on your music player so you can play it wherever you are but the lik will give you an idea of what to expect

April 24th 2012

the only good american BM band that i know of is benighted in sodom, ill check this one out.

nice review too, pos'd hard m/

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

April 24th 2012

I downloaded this earlier and will listen at some point. Knew someone like Captain would review this soon ;).

April 24th 2012

the only good american BM band that i know of is benighted in sodom

um

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

April 24th 2012

"the only good american BM band that i know of is benighted in sodom"

Fell Voices says hello.

what

April 24th 2012

there are quite literally hundreds of american black metal bands better than benighted in sodom

AngelofDeath
April 24th 2012

Hope for the American Dream.

As if the USBM scene isn't by far the strongest at the moment.

Wouldn't call this their best release, but it's certainly great.

Not so sure about the Dark Tranquillity comparison...

April 24th 2012

Basically there are a fair amount of great bands from the US scene (as well as bad).

New Torture Chain sweet.

benighted in sodom

ughhhh

Thanks Shuyin

"Knew someone like Captain would review this soon ;)."

;], hope you enjoy it mate

Yeah guys I'm also a fan of Fell Voices as well but I'm really glad that Torture Chain isn't following the same vibe as all those other bands. They really sound quite fresh and unique

i agree i still like Across Great Landscapes best but this is great

April 24th 2012

what! they're awsome, you guys just dont get all the trve kvltness and grimness.

April 24th 2012

"As if the USBM scene isn't by far the strongest at the moment.

Wouldn't call this their best release, but it's certainly great.

Not so sure about the Dark Tranquillity comparison..."

at the moment yes but overall which I usually compare the full history of time they're the weakest. imo it is the best. dt comparison was in perspective, not as a whole

April 24th 2012

"also say something about the intro music being the theme music from The Thing, because it is"

didn't know that, too bad I can't edit anything with that server bug issue

seedofnothing
April 24th 2012

I need to hear this. I thought your review was quite informative. Good job. POS.