ZuVuYa
Tales Of InterDimensional Travel

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
April 24th, 2012 | 26 replies

Review Summary: A dark psytrance fan’s wet dream.

We’re total nerds. From watching Star Trek: The Next Generation about a gazillion times, and continuously going through our beloved Stargate DVDs, my family loves geeking out. Therefore, whenever I find a spacey album, one that brings to mind the cheesy sound effects of sci-fi shows, my heart does flutter. Sometimes it’s not enough to watch other people doing things in space - I want to be in space. Therefore, I often find myself listening to psytrance, the closest musical equivalent to space travel I can find. Psytrance is just out there, a computer generated world of numbing sounds and claustrophobia. While such a world is designed to meld with drug induced ethereal sensations, I dare say that the genre can offer an experience of itself. An otherworldly experience to be sure, but that’s the whole point. To be swept away into the heavenly bodies, to give in to one’s imagination, provides a journey unlike any other – as does Tales of InterDimensional Travel.

Tales of InterDimensional Travel is a title appropriate trip through time and space, and for quite a while fools the listener into believing they are weightless. The detail to the sci-fi sounds used is incredible, with so many new and exciting effects constantly crashing in around the listener that it seems impossible for the album to not have been meticulously crafted. It’s a stunning listen with a billion things happening at once, and that’s not even counting the brain melting bass. With insane speeds the machine pummels away into the night, and does the listener get tired of listening to such intensity? Absolutely not, because the album is equally spacey despite its aggressiveness, and the end result is something to be lost in. Whether it be spacey atmospherics or the encompassing sound effects, the soundscape is a blanket with which the noise becomes dreamy. Of course, played in a club at max volume it would be completely jarring, but as a solo listening experience it’s quite enjoyable, and rather hypnotic.

Now to be fair, Tales of InterDimensional Travel is not perfect. It really is unbelievably abrasive, and for naysayers of dark psy, an album like this must seem vomit inducing. Also, this album takes a lot of your time considering that the final track by itself is 25 minutes long, so it does take quite a bit of commitment. Finally, this album does not provide anything to hold onto aside from a rather disorienting trip through space. There are no discernible melodies, and songs seem to be written to provide a spacey experience, but not something that is easily danceable or memorable. In the end, it is an album for those already accustomed to dark psy. This is by no means a bad thing however, for it includes everything a dark psy fan could possibly want. If you’re looking for a ridiculously intense, trippy trip through the cosmos, look no further.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

April 24th 2012

Finally graduated two days ago, so I can start reviewing. : )

Free download: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/zuvuya-tales-of-interdimensional-travel

April 24th 2012

yeah you're gonna say wet dream and I'm gonna pass? don't think so

pos

April 24th 2012

Think you're missing something here

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

SgtPepper
April 24th 2012

This sounds exciting, I love spacey psychedelic myself. I'll check it out, POS.

April 24th 2012

Goa is often more spacey than darkpsy, but I'm sure you listen to that too!

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

April 24th 2012

@ Captain: hehheh love you too ;)

@ Acanthus: Yeah I listen to all kinds of trance!

"Think you're missing something here"

Not sure what you mean!

April 24th 2012

Title appropriate for a trip through..... maybe

The sentence reads weird, like there's a few words missing

April 24th 2012

Oh yeah you're right, I'll figure something out..

April 24th 2012

It's cool because these psycore albums can mix into drum and bass...

This sounds cool, getting it now.

April 24th 2012

Yeah, but why would you want to ruin drum & bass by doing that? ;)

April 24th 2012

Haha good point, strangely most of the clubbers aren't really knowledgeable in regards to trance; I am however gearing up for a dnb night soon.

April 24th 2012

haha what did trance ever do to you Dev?

April 24th 2012

Outside of the deep psy stuff (and even then, I only dig 1 or 2 artists in the field) I just find it to be terribly derivative and dull. In the proper context it's okay, but I should be able to put an album on wherever and whenever and get the same level of enjoyment out of it

April 24th 2012

That's fair, psy can be pretty flipping repetitive, especially with its never-ending beats.

April 24th 2012

It's and experience that's for sure, it's fun to find the little differences though.

taylormemer
April 24th 2012

Now that you have all this free time, you can also fix up the artist page too!

April 24th 2012

Yeah this album has a lot of little differences hehheh.

@ taylor: that I can!

Omaha

PIZZA IS BACK!

April 24th 2012

Back and in da flesh baby!

Omaha
April 24th 2012

Hells yeh. nice review, if it's a free download I might as well grab it.