Purtenance
Member of Immortal Damnation

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
April 24th, 2012 | 52 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In as quickly as they came out but not without leaving a mark.

It’s interesting when a band begins there career so strong with a goal to make a solid osdm album then decides to leave the scene. While there could numerous reasons, when done well, they have the opportunity to leave a stain or dent if you will, in the mark of time. Finnish death metal band Purtenance formed in 1990 and split up in 1992. During this small respective period they managed to release two demos and once solid LP. The LP release of “Member of Immortal Damnation” is a very important release in the death metal genre due to its high level of versatile songs. Some tracks have doom like qualities, classical instrumental cleans, and others which take up most of the album are straight up death metal; even reaching more technical levels that Finnish artist’s are known for.

The production opens up quite nicely with a highly laced reverb-esq atmosphere that repeats arpreggiated dark guitar chords until only after a minutes time the doom like track “Black Vision” softly lays the first taste of crusty guitar distortion on your ears. This slow transition really gives off a progressive vibe until the more common heavy death metal enters in the middle of the same track coupled by double bass blast’s and catchy drum fills. From the moment on pure death metal is the name of the game. The vocals are low and very guttural. They add perfect balance to the crusty guitars and audible bass lines, usually harmonizing on comfortable tempo levels.

A bit of classical instrumetalization is thrown in around the albums middle point with “Lacus Somniorum” which gives a bit of a breather to the death metal chaos but also adds a mild flavor of serenity. “In the Misty Morning” is a very techy and catchy track which starts with some wonderful alternate riffing styles with powerful palm muted stops. The level of technicality can be likened to Gorguts first LP “Considered Dead”. This same track plays with various tempo changes which are all very cohesive.

“Member of Immortal Damnation” is no groundbreaking death metal but it does provide really solid Finnish material which can and should appreciate by any love of osdm.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

April 23rd 2012

Decided to do a quick write up for this. Good album. Hope anyone who hasn't heard enjoys this.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

April 23rd 2012

Damn still can't edit. Sorry in advance for any mistakes.

taylormemer

Cool bro. m/

SgtPepper
April 23rd 2012

Another great review, Captain.
I looked them up on youtube as I read your review. You described it pretty well, with the slow "Doom" tempo beginning of "Black Vision". I also checked out the more intense "Deep Blue Darkness" and "A Dark Cloud Rises", so far its a pretty sick album. I like the artwork of the album too.
POS'd.

Hyperion1001

great album

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

Motiv3

album rules

Thanks Taylor.

@Paper - thanks bro. After looking over the review I thought I could have touched on the lyrics and maybe the album feel of flow but thanks glad you got the main highlights.

Hell yeah Hyp, shits still enjoyable after all these years

fuck yeah motiv :]

seedofnothing
April 23rd 2012

Damn good album. You really can't have enough good dm.

Hyperion1001

finnish dm > all

Cells

pos'd

MO
April 23rd 2012

yea awesome shit, you know your metal captain sir

April 23rd 2012

hell yeah Hyp fully agree, canadian dm is pretty good too :]

thanks Cells, blaze hard brother

I must say the same about you too MO, it's nice to have a m/ brother to strive side by side in the war against shit music, glad to see ur still digging Mesh

April 23rd 2012

oh sorry I missed you there seed, yeah I fully agree

also Cells that's cool ur digging the new Ignivomous. There's been a lot of mixed thoughts about it but I thought it was solid and the drumming was pretty unique too which I thought carried the album well.

pizzamachine
April 24th 2012

Neat album cover, might check this out tomorrow.

April 24th 2012

My love for you grows each day Pizza

pizzamachine
April 24th 2012

gotta keep up to date with ancient metal right?

April 24th 2012

yeah pretty much the same level as showing respect for our elders

win win sitch

Anthracks

another boring captaindooright review

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

April 24th 2012

haha, u never fail to make love and hate you at the same time. nice skill

Voivod
April 24th 2012

Is this close to the debut album by Sentenced?

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????