Rush

by FrizzleFried USER (15 Reviews)
April 22nd, 2012 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Rush, a legendary progressive rock band. You know I always thought of Rush this way, "These guys are goofy,". Drums are great. Gutair is great. Bass and synthesizers are great. Just one problem. The vocals are not that great. In the 70's, lord it sounded like a rat stuck in a wringer. High indeed.... The band of the legendary, epic, awesome, hard-to-not-like rock band is,
Geddy Lee- vocals, bass, synthesizers
Alex Lifeson- gutair
Neil Peart- percussion

2112 is probably one of their best. What a classic this is. With probably one of the best storylines for a 20 minute piece, the piece is "2112". It clocks in at 20 minutes and 38 seconds (20:38). The storyline is, Including some information :
In the year 2062, a galaxy-wide war results in the union of all planets under the rule of the Red Star of the Solar Federation. By 2112, the world is controlled by the "Priests of the Temples of Syrinx," who determine the content of all reading matter, songs, pictures - every facet of life.

A man discovers an ancient guitar and learns to play his own music. Thinking he has made a wonderful discovery that will be a boon to humanity, he goes to present the guitar to the priests of the Temples, who angrily destroy it and rebuke him for unearthing one of the "silly whims" that caused the collapse of the previous civilization. He goes into hiding and dreams of a world before the Solar Federation. Upon awakening he becomes distraught and commits suicide. As he dies, another planetary battle begins resulting in the ambiguous ending "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control." (This spoken section was created by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson reportedly "messing around with a tape recorder.") In the "VH1 Classic Albums" series about the album, Peart confirmed that he intended the ending to be a happy one as the people of the Solar Federation are liberated.

On the album, Neil Peart credits "the genius of Ayn Rand." Rand, a Russian-born Jewish-American novelist and creator of the philosophy of Objectivism, wrote a novella titled Anthem (itself adopted as the title of another Rush song, from the album Fly By Night) from which Peart borrowed the broad strokes of the plot.

This piece was so good that it saved Rush from dissapearing because of no supprot since the "Caress of Steel" tour. Other songs on the album were also very good, indeed. But 2112, by far the best. The synthesizers on the album impressed me. The effects were so cool it drags you right into the music. And with Geddy's high singing, it sounds even better. Better still, the gutair riffs are highly catchy. Overture is the most crazy part. But not much lyrics, but Geddy says at the end of Overture, "And the meek shall inherit the earth". That cool line leads you into the song of 2112. Temples of Syrinx, one of the best parts of 2112. Discovery is very slow. But the gutair is great. Presentation is the longest part in 2112. Oracle is the shortest. Not so catchy, and it really dosen't pull you in to what is going on. Soliloquy is also okay, but the not the best part. Grand Finale, right off the bat, one of the best parts. With following of the saying, "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control". Ending off the piece.

This record is so great that it drags me along. And it is hard to let go. Once in a while you will. then it picks you up by the ear and drags you again. With other great following pieces, this album is completely phenomenal. But I dare you to go out and buy it. I'll tell you, you'll do it, definitely. This is so amazing it is hard not to respect it. If you dislike this, you dislike Rush. It is true.

With Geddy Lee's high singing. You have to love it. The gutair is amazing. And driving. The drumming is hard pounding, and amazing. The song, 2112 totally beats Hemispheres. Really bad, but I like both. The other great song on here is A Passage to Bangkok. With a catchy opening riff, and great lyrics. And "Something for Nothing". I love them both. So buy this record. Or get it on iTunes (if you have one). I'm sure they still have it in stores.

Credit goes to Wikipedia, I copied and pasted the storyline.

Recommended tracks: