Miles Davis
Live Evil

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
April 18th, 2012 | 16 replies | 3,881 views

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "...Who is this Music, that which description can never justify?"

Miles Davis has always been the kind of musician that has never been content in settling with just one genre. Often experimenting, and fusing musical approaches to create something fresh. The albums of Miles' Electric period contained music that is very abstract, amalgamating the ambient nature of Psychedelic Rock with the enthusiasm for free-form improvisations that are found in Jazz. The content of Live-Evil truly reflects the philosophy of Miles' spiritual predecessor, Bitches Brew. The music of Bitches Brew were not just mere Jazz compositions, they were the recipes for a spell. A work of sorcery- a magical brew that invited any curious enthusiast to embark on it's trance. The music of Live-Evil shares that similar aesthetic, evocative and impressionistic. Coated in darkness, yet exhibiting that irresistibly alluring quality.

We begin with "Sivad". It opens with a jubilant introduction, a barrage of sounds flourishing with intensity, yet exquisitely coordinated. But all this elevation soon comes to a stop as Miles reveals to us that there are still a few spells of sorcery in his bag. "Sivad" then enters into a more delicate atmosphere brewed by the musicians, having us descend into that familiar trancing state of mind, entering a realm of instrumental mysticism. Live-Evil is a truly mesmerizing performance, as Miles Davis is coming at us from all directions. Tracks like "Little Church" display how Miles' band can project delicate ambiences, just as easily as they can produce instrumental eruptions of utter aggression, like the ones encountered in "What I Say" and "Funky Tunk". And it's all orchestrated with such confidence. The dextrous coalescence of different musical approaches within this album's content almost make this performance too overwhelming for the senses. And that is perhaps the true beauty behind Live-Evil, the willingness to experiment with the music.

"Medley: Gemini/Double Image", for example, presents itself in such a lethargic mood, yet it releases these mind-altering sounds reminiscent of psychedelia. "Inamorata", on the other hand, represents the more energetic side of the album, while also reflecting that same spellbinding hypnotism of Bitches Brew. "Inamorata" redefines Jazz Fusion- This is Miles and his band showing absolutely no self-restrain, and unleashing an excessive series of solos appearing and vanishing in a free-form environment. This is a truly magnificent performance, containing music that transcends past traditional Jazz as it incorporates other genres such as; Psychedelia, Funk, and Rock. This is one of the most definitive Jazz Fusion records in the discography of Miles Davis and must be heard by any fan.

Broken Bells After The DiscoSound and Fury (FI) Pulsacion
Jail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular EmotionChick Corea The Vigil
Pond (AUS) Hobo RocketBlack Sabbath 13
4.3

April 18th 2012

This is a really great album. I hope you guys enjoy it.

"And that is perhaps the true beauty behind Live-Evil, the willingness to experiment with the music."
- it's suppose to say
"And that is perhaps the true beauty behind Live-Evil, the versatility within the music."
sorry about that, but the website isnt letting me edit.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Funeralopolis
April 18th 2012

"...Who is this Music, that which description can never justify?."

starts with an E and ends with Izard.

Digging: Banks - London

@Funeralopolis
....as they sit on their Dope Throne.

ThroneOfAgony

Great review. Miles Davis is a god

taylormemer
April 18th 2012

Wow that album cover. wtf

ZedO
April 18th 2012

Whoa, Jazz..., Hmmm, Someday I have to review jazz stuff, I'll begin it with Mike Stern..

Pos, man.

VlacDrac
April 18th 2012

Another good review, as always.
Pos'd.
Oh, BTW, the other day saw this one at a record shop, it looked amazing but I wasn't sure if buying it.
Is it worth it?

VlacDrac
April 18th 2012

I mean, I really enjoyed Bitches Brew, but I dont enjoy all of his "electric period" stuff.
Didn't like On the corner, it's full of this "wall of sound" and it was almost imposible to listen.

April 18th 2012

Oh no it's nothing like On The Corner, that one was more "Funk-oriented" and this one is more atmospheric jazz like Bitches
Brew. People have uploaded the songs on youtube, id suggest listening to some of the songs to decide if its worth it. I think it is,
but you may have differing opinion.

Jruined

Great album.
Mati Klarwein did the cover. He did a lot of great stuff around this time. Santana's Abraxus and Bitches Brew are what I think he is most well known for.

Digging: Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

@Jruined
I love his artwork, so psychedelic and bizarre, especially his Miles Davis work.

Jruined
April 18th 2012

Yeah he does some beautiful work. I wish a publisher would put out a new collection of his stuff. Everything is out of print.

@Jruined
That would be brilliant.

YoYoMancuso

I love this album, Miles Davis, truly a genius. Pos

CaptWaffles
September 14th 2012

Gotta check this one out, I've been on a spree with his electric stuff lately. How's this compare to Bitches Brew Live?

September 14th 2012

@Capt
They're both pretty similar albums. Though this one can be a bit more atmospheric than spontaneous jamming.