Dark Tranquillity
The Gallery

by Systemunfolded USER (12 Reviews)
April 17th, 2012 | 66 replies | 2,726 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I can't explain why sweden is pumping out nearly all of the most revolutionary metal albums ever. All I can do is simply appreciate it.

If there is anybody who has never explored the dark, yet beautiful realm of melodic death metal, I simply must recommend this album as a start. Dark Tranquillity is one of the most interesting bands I’ve ever known; The Gallery being no exception. Since the very beginning, this band has shaped my taste for melo-deth in ways I couldn't even begin to attempt to describe. What The Gallery has become known for in my eyes is the amazing riffs that are played behind the raspy vocals which cut dangerously close to a style for black metal. The evil attitude expressed by Mikael Stanne with his vocals, backed by riffs which are more serene than anything else makes this Dark Tranquillity's best album to date. Not even Skydancer or Fiction, as great as they are, can beat this.

Besides the astounding guitar solos, and great vocal styles, the overall production of the album is unbeatable by any means. Unless you have one of the weakest stereos the world has seen, every instrument is going to present itself upfront and beautifully. Even the bass, which is quietly, and subtly grooving along in the background will make itself noticeable. Indeed, Dark Tranquillity is embracing metal to the best of their abilities (which is really saying something for those of you who don't know good riffage when you hear it).

The very first track of this album, Punish My Heaven is a whole and pure classic from the second it starts. You get an amazing first impression from drummer Anders Jivarp, then the guitars break in, and before you know it, this album is stuck to you. Probably the greatest aspect of this song is the fact that it pretty much maps out the rest of this album to the tee. Besides a few subsiding tracks such as Lethe (and most of the latter tracks of this album which are really an album all by themselves), this album remains on the same tier from beginning to end. If you think that'll get boring, just get through about half of the album, about to the track One Brooding Warning, and there probably won't be anything to complain about. I mean, just listen to the solos that bounce in and out of this track, and the soft cymbal tapping, the whole thing is plain and simple: a metal classic.

The last few tracks from this album are probably the least disappointing. If the songs that drag you into this album didn't seem like enough, than the winding down of this album most certainly will. Most of the final tracks, especially Emptiness from Which I Fed provide some of the best instrumental work on the album. Small interludes of serenity make their way into these final tracks, and they provide so much emotion, and flow so well. The album for the most part just flows so well, in rhythm to say the least. It is close to impossible to lose yourself in this. [/b]…Of Melancholy Burning[/b] is not only the longest track in the album, but it displays the band in their prime condition if you ask me, and is probably the best song on this album. It's a bold statement, deciding what the best track on this album is, but once the clean vocals kick into this track, it's hard to resist making such a statement.

What Dark Tranquillity has gone and done as you will find, is crafted one of the most solid and unbreakable melo-deth albums ever. With nothing but the unsteady change between the first "half" of this album to the second "half" to complain about, (you'll find that it'll be a waste of time searching for something actually WORTH complaining about) it is a classic album. If you need an album to bring you into the dark, but beautiful realm of melodic death metal, this is undoubtedly the best place to start. Anybody who has a true passion for metal, no matter how soft their ears are, can surely find something to enjoy, nay, love about this album.