Alabama Shakes
Boys & Girls

by rollnchew USER (5 Reviews)
April 17th, 2012 | 21 replies | 5,331 views

Review Summary: Have you ever wondered what would happen if your dad’s Led Zeppelin and your mum’s Aretha Franklin records had a love child? No? Well, Alabama Shakes did.

The debut from the Alabaman quartet, Boys and Girls, somehow fuses four or five genres together so seamlessly that you start to question how you never saw the possibility of this working before. The understated drums represent the angry rock undercurrent for the other instruments to layer soulful, yet at times raw, parts on top. While the delicate guitar and bass grooves are complex and could easily trip over each other, here they don’t. Instead, you’re left feeling as though you’re listening to an album made by punks in board shorts and flowery dresses.

It’s the staggering vocals of Brittany Howard that are the albums crowning glory. On tracks such as ‘You Ain’t Alone’, she soothes your soul one minute only to tear it to pieces the next. Imagine Joss Stone, raised in the sticks, hooked up to a JD drip and channelling the ghost of Janis Joplin. Most songs stand alone as a solid example of the bands unique style, except 'Goin' to the Party', an interlude-esque blip that does nothing and says less. You’ve got ‘Heartbreaker’, a waltz from the gutter, as well as the explosive ‘You Ain’t Alone’. The albums only set back is that while all of these tracks are great on their own, when listened to as a collective, however, they do begin to blend into one another.

The endearing thing about this band is that you sense that they will probably grow old together, still making music under a train track somewhere, still proving to whoever may be listening that summery dad-rock can not only work, it can be some of the most interesting music you hear this year.

klap
April 16th 2012

good album

Digging: Literature - Chorus

Activista anti-MTV
May 27th 2012

good stuff

the stream was streaming and now it's not

HenchmanOfSanta
June 3rd 2012

Only 28 votes? I thought this album was kind of a big deal.

Activista anti-MTV
July 6th 2012

loving this album

DaveyBoy
July 23rd 2012

20857 Comments

Playing a lo-fi throwback style which melds soul, blues, southern rock & traditional R&B, Alabama Shakes release their much-anticipated debut LP 'Boys & Girls'. The most distinctive piece of the Alabaman quartet is 23 year old singer Brittany Howard, who sounds like a cross between Janis Joplin & Aretha Franklin. She shows good range here, often dominating the CCR like guitar-work, but many tunes unfortunately feel incomplete, lack diversity & feel immature from a songwriting perspective. The potential is definitely there & they are likely to be a hoot live, but it all feels a little tired on record. Recommended Tracks: I Ain't the Same, Be Mine & Hold On.

AtavanHalen
July 23rd 2012

hey

fuck you

CaptWaffles
July 24th 2012

whoa, that's a woman singing?

clercqie
July 31st 2012

They're so much better live

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

omnipanzer
July 31st 2012

Glad to see these guys getting some attention.

clercqie
July 31st 2012

It's really strange this has so little comments/ratings, because they were hyped everywhere

culbert9
August 20th 2012

The emotion of howards singing is will drag you in. Its truly a excellent example of how music has died.

HenchmanOfSanta
August 20th 2012

What?

CloudsOfDust
October 20th 2012

What a voice.

December 18th 2012

They are so incredibly good live.

Digging: Neil Young - Live at the Cellar Door

JamieTwort

20644 Comments

Hold On is such a great song. Probably should have put this on my 2012 list I just made but for some reason I forgot about it.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

December 18th 2012

Yeah, Hold On is great! This album is good, but probably no more than a 3 (3.5 at tops) for me. Good list, btw - dunno a lot of the albums, but there are some important ones on it!

JamieTwort

20644 Comments

Thanks man. This is a 3.5 for me I think.

December 18th 2012

Yeah, that's what I'll settle on as well. Brittany is just too cool for this record to only be a 3

Cygnatti
March 8th 2013

apparently these guys got a lot of hype everywhere, I wasn't aware of it though.

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

BrushedRed
June 11th 2013

I live in Alabama. Born and raised. And I go to university of Alabama. Glad to see we get some recognition. Well besides there being a meth lab. Or a drug bust.