Orgone (PA)
The Joyless Parson

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
April 16th, 2012 | 58 replies

Review Summary: “Unconventionalism” personified, yet controlled so as to be effectively absorbed.

With the innumerable generic metal acts overtaking the music market it’s hard to weed[favorite word] out worthwhile artist’s, yet, in fact, many may have given up altogether and succumbed to the stagnancy every so present. Finding something different and worthwhile can be a rewarding aspect in itself. For is it not true, the reason we all strive for new and fresh material is due to the dormant marketplace’s constant release of rotten apple after rotten apple. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could pick a fresh apple straight from the tree while in its prime, peak season? Obscure death metal band Orgone, from Pennsylvania, is just that and more. They create some of the most unique and delectable music you can find. The interesting thing is one would guess such inimitable music would be hard to digest, and while this may be somewhat true, Orgone’s second LP attempt, “The Joyless Parson”, balances a taste of music that takes a little dedication to fully absorb while holding compositions that fuse perfectly into the next; giving off a seem less quality that feels smooth like warm showers hitting your yearning cold skin.

This 7 track masterpiece has 3 songs that are over 10 minutes in length, 3 fillers, and 1 track just under 5 minutes in length totaling about 45 minutes in runtime. The intro filler “Scrying” plays off a mid tempo droning feel that plays off various textures until it crescendos into the meaty self titled track. The listener in then taken through a plethora of unconventional, techy guitar riffs. The feel is as if your listening to a classical virtiouso unleashing every bit of expression without regard to the listeners understanding. While this could deter some, those wishing for a fresh outlook of un-conformity will be greatly blessed. The tempos on this track as well as many others will without notice change tempos but it still feels like it was meant to be. While songs with other bands repeat several phrases and passages Orgone’s riffs are seldom ever heard more than once and even then a strong sense of cohesiveness can be felt. The lengthier tracks are full of excitement which seldom becomes boring. This is due to the mature nature of using tempo changes to their benefit which is the purpose of the fillers as well as occurrences during dynamic inter-song passages.

Drummer Justin Wharton and guitarist Steve Jarrett really push the boundaries of Orgone’s capabilities. In “Void of Course” they represent the song title quite well with abstract notions with well placed tempo “stops” and hooks that never leave the listener feeling awkward or left behind. Dancing between melodic ideas and technicality they provide a basis for bassist Andrew Ransom to follow along with a jazzy “walking the bass” approach that places emotions into uncharted territories. There is always a forward motion to felt as outward intentions of furtherance manifest themselves through careful thought and perseverance. The blend of high notes and low notes is almost always present and they are used effectively to breathe life into areas where strong voids could otherwise be present. The piano filler/interlude to the epic closer allows a sense of serenity to be absorbed into the listener with the purpose of opening your “third eye” which is the philosophical thought of seeing things that are normally unseen. With the closer “Circulated Treason” the hearer is graced with the final blow to tie everything into one which comes unexpectedly as it leaves, leaving the listener craver for another run.

Orgone shows that music is not stagnant and just requires a certain mindset with musical goals that are higher than the sky to accomplish such feats. They were not afraid to present there all and expect each one of you to approach their music with the same open mind they first expressed. May the future of Orgone be strong and inspirational.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence
4.3

April 16th 2012

This was fairly a quite write up for me although it is kinda lengthy but I've listened to this over 15 times already and it gets better with each listen.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

SgtPepper
April 16th 2012

"the reason we all strive for new and fresh material is due to the dormant marketplace’s constant release of rotten apple after
rotten apple."

" feels smooth like warm showers hitting your yearning cold skin."

-Great writing,the review is well-written as usual. I'll check this out, they sound really interesting. I like more complex metal.

April 16th 2012

Thanks man it's really good. I'm having the same problem you were. I had a few grammar errors but I can't edit right now. Bummer.

Their music wasn't that hard for me to find but I did find it surprised their new stuff wasn't on youtube. I'll if I can find a bandcamp or something for them. But yeah it's really good man, I can see you really liking this.

Haha I had to stop myself from writing any further on this one because I could have easily included another 2-3 paragraphs about the clean production, lyrics ect. but I took care of the main points so hopefully any readers would catch the main points about this album.

SgtPepper

@CaptainDooRight
No, mate you did a great job in describing the band and the music. I honestly dont see a way to better it, i think it's prefect the
way it is. And yeah i'll be checking these guys out. have a well deserved Pos!

Nikkolae
April 16th 2012

great band, and great review as well

Digging: Cursed Graves - Western Blood

ZedO
April 16th 2012

Only heard their "The Goliath" album, probably will check this out! As usual, great review...

NocteDominum

Dat album art, posd bro

April 16th 2012

Thanks Paper that means a lot man.

@ Nikkolae - thanks man have you heard these guys before?

@ ZedO - thanks man, this a majoy step forward beyond what you heard on Goliath.

@ Ipod - yeah man I love the art, it's just as abstract as the music. Thanks man.

Hawks
April 16th 2012

This band is from Pittsburgh huh? Might have to check them out.

Nikkolae

April 16th 2012

"This band is from Pittsburgh huh? Might have to check them out."

yeah bro rep your hometown man

"i remember listening to The Goliath a while back and enjoyed it alot, the bassist grooves like there's no tomorrow"

yeah I love his style got such a good jazzy metal style thats fits perfectly. He's abstract yet always in "acceptable" key

April 16th 2012

Thanks for reviewing this man, u beat me to it but it had to be done. Band/Album is too good to go unnoticed.

Pretty sure this band is done with, this was supposed to come out in 2008 but they kept moving the release date back and then I found it online to download about 2 months ago. I don't think it was an official release, it just leaked. But Steve Jarret's new band Miracle Worker is incredible, imagine Orgone but indie-rock.

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

xist
April 17th 2012

Two things....i'm not entirely sure how the score works when you admit in the review that there are 3 fillers on an album of 7 songs. Something seems awry when almost 50% of the album is space filling.

Also i couldn't work out for sure if they're instrumental or otherwise from the review. I get the strong impression that they are from what you've written, but it's not really stated and when you mention them as, "Obscure death metal band Orgone," it makes me think they're not.

April 17th 2012

@ Wachnizzle - cool man I'll have to check out Miracle Worker. Sucks if they are done man.

@xist- the fillers are only a couple of minutes, the main 3 songs are over 10 minutes in length. that takes up more than half of the album. plus one of the songs is a song that is about 5-6 minutes long. Hope that makes sense.

They feel instrumental because most of it is but there are death vox in there too but it's not the albums highlight.

April 17th 2012

Fillers or not this album is a gauntlet.

April 17th 2012

gauntlet of war to rid the mediocracy of stag posers

April 18th 2012

Too bad they never officially released this album. The level of creativity and originality within this band is incredible. Album is a MUST hear for any technical deathmetal fan.

April 18th 2012

It's funny their labeled as Tech dm because I feel they sounds nothing like the such

but for arguments sake they would still classify as it.

I guess it could be properly said they are one of the most unique tech dm bands I've ever heard.

they really should make this official, what a shame that would be but it does feels pretty good to have a copy of it :]

April 18th 2012

I figured that's what genre they are, maybe avant-garde deathmetal would be more accurate.

I live in Pittsburgh so maybe I should go knock on Steve Jarret's door and tell him to get the album pressed and promoted. Imagine having this on vinyl.

April 18th 2012

OMg that would be heaven

dude you really should for really do that

he would prolly love to have a fan show interest

tell him sputnik sent you