Kraftwerk
Computer World

by ThroneOfAgony USER (12 Reviews)
April 16th, 2012 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1981 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A brilliant album created by one of the most famous electronic groups

Kraftwerk, the group that has influenced electronic music by an excessive amount over the last 30-35 years, has remained one of the most prominent in the genre; and their album Computer World is an excellent example of the band and what they can do. While the entire album is short and condensed, it’s very enjoyable and serves as one of Kraftwerk’s best. The theme here is primarily centered on computers, or to be trouble-free, technology. There are a lot of glitchy, bouncy synthesizers and rare vocal pieces snipped directly from technology (an example would be a calculator) which altogether, make this album exceptionally good.

The tracks are narrowed down to the point of them being incredibly simple; which honestly, isn’t a bad thing. Complexity and progression wise, there is none whatsoever and because of that, makes the tunes completely easy to comprehend. The common “what did I just listen to” dilemma isn’t located here; the tunes will be trapped in your head instantly and without difficulty.

Computer World is simply fun to listen to. Emotion wise, there aren’t many moods that are available here, other than bittersweet enjoyment. The tunes are all incredibly upbeat as well, no dark or punishing synthesizers are found on the album but instead delicate, fluorescent ones. Therefore, this makes the amicability and friendliness more approachable.

The album beginner ‘Computer World’ is an easy song to listen to. It’s a very innocent, delightful track that uses a good melody, a shiny keyboard line, and weird cyborg-sounding vocals. It’s an excellent intro the album too. The next tune, ‘Pocket Calculator’, is a more energetic song with its motivating synth-line, feral backbeat; and as well as that, it has an interesting calculator vocal piece that drives the song. The song is one of the best on the 5 track album. ‘Computer World pt. 2’ sounds like a weird cell phone conversation with the random beeps and noises, and the last track ‘It’s more Fun to Compute’ is the most full-of-life tune on Computer World. Each and every one of the songs on Computer World are outstanding in some shape or form.

Computer World is without a doubt, a truly remarkable achievement made by the four guys; but honestly though, it may not suit everyone’s needs. For newcomers, the simplicity may make this tough to enjoy, but if you want to listen to one of the greatest electronic albums ever, then you definitely should try this out.

Coil Horse RotorvatorCoil The Ape of Naples
Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92Tiesto In Search of Sunrise 5: Los Angeles
Bonobo Animal MagicOrbital Snivilisation
Andrew H. EMERITUS (4.5)

April 16th 2012

This review is a little simplistic, but there really isn't much to talk about with Computer World

April 16th 2012

This album is underrated in Kraftwerk discography.

April 16th 2012

It's pretty popular actually. But Autobahn will probably always be their most well-known in my books.

April 16th 2012

Yeah, BTW my favorite album of Kraftwerk is Trans Europe Express.
And I like The single Tour de France.

I almost forget it
Pos'd

Yotimi
April 16th 2012

Love this album. I assume Coldplay does too.

Digging: Chrome Sparks - Goddess

Thanks Vlac.

I have yet to check out TEE, I should change that. This album or Autobahn may be my fav.

April 16th 2012

Well, if we want to talk about underrated albums they would be their first three (Kraftwerk, Kraftwerk 2 & Ralf and Florian). Which are half assed Krautrock.
The band thought those albums were so bad that they eliminated all the pressing which where printing back in the days.

April 16th 2012

Honestly, I always thought Electric Cafe was their most half-ass, but since it's Kraftwerk, it's still not too bad

April 16th 2012

There was only one track on the album that never did it for me, but neverthless, it's still alright.

April 16th 2012

*sigh. System, system, system.

But in all seriousness, you should check these out

April 16th 2012

sup bro, pos, gonna have to check this out

funny cuz I never really listened to much electronic music but as of lately

that's been changing thanks to you and several others

although I'm a metal head at heart I don't discriminate against possible good music, you know what I'm saying bro

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

April 16th 2012

If you don't like it that's perfectly normal

And thanks captain ;). This is some good electronic music

SgtPepper
April 16th 2012

Another great review. Pos'd.

wabbit
April 16th 2012

Great album. I always thought this was their most popular?

Yotimi

I assumed Trans Eropa Express was

Deviant.
April 16th 2012

Another day, ThroneofAgony reviews another obvious electronic album

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

April 16th 2012

Of course. But wait for tomorrow, where I'll be reviewing something OTHER than that ;)

wabbit