Jonny Greenwood
Jonny Greenwood Is The Controller

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
April 14th, 2012 | 13 replies | 1,880 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Sit up and meditate, no time to contemplate."

Jonny Greenwood Is The Controller is a compilation of Dub and Reggae songs handpicked by the Radiohead guitarist himself. The album consists of Jonny Greenwood's favourite Reggae and Dub artists from the vaults of famed record label Trojan Records, in honor of their 40th anniversary. He truly did a fantastic job in his selection of the music as the album reflects many different styles and variations within the Dub and Reggae genres. Songs like "I'm Still In Love" by Marcia Aitken, and "Cool Rasta" by The Heptones, represent the more traditional approach to Reggae music of the 1960s and 1970s, with lyrical content that reflect familiar topics like romance and religious spirituality.

"Flash Gordon Meets Luke Skywalker", on the other hand, exhibits the more abstract elements of Dub music, which even incorporates a quasi-psychedelic overtone to induce an atmospheric vibe. Among the Dub selections in the album, we tend to find Jonny Greenwood favouring the works of renowned artist Lee "Scratch" Perry especially, as there are several tracks by him on this album. "Bionic Rats" is perhaps the most interesting of his pieces, and like "Flash Gordon Meets Luke Skywalker", it descends into lengthy arrangements of Dub music decorated with ambient effects that again borrow influence from the distorting elements of Psychedelic rock. Overall, this is definitely an album to check out for any fans of Reggae music, as it contains a wide variety of artists that you're bound to find a song to love.

Broken Bells After The DiscoSound and Fury (FI) Pulsacion
Jail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular EmotionChick Corea The Vigil
Pond (AUS) Hobo RocketBlack Sabbath 13
good

April 14th 2012

I wanted to experiment with writing a short review, something "Short, sweet, and to the point."
Though i hope it isnt too short.

insomniac15
April 14th 2012

For a compilation I believe this is the best way to review, since it's short and concise. However, for an album I don't know if you get to say much, maybe for an awful one where you don't have much to say.
Still, cool review, pos. I am waiting for the next Omar Rodriguez-Lopez review haha.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

SCREAMorphine
April 14th 2012

The short review format worked out pretty well, nice review

Pos

Thanks guys.

And oh it's coming, Insomniac. though i think i probably do Omar too much. By the way I'm digging the psych rock style of
Spiritualized, you have good taste. i checked out "Little Girl" and the lengthy "Hey Jane".

insomniac15
April 14th 2012

Thanks. You're not doing too much Omar, I mean since he has dozens of albums and a lot of different styles always changing, each review matters for the newcomer but not only. I've slowly gotten to know the albums more this way.

If you like Spiritualized, check Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, it is really amazing, but if you have time also check Let It Come Down. The latter is underrated IMO. It is huge, Pierce got an orchestra of more than 100 players to play on the record.

April 14th 2012

I'll check them out, I like anything psychedelic.

Deviant.
April 14th 2012

Great to see whoever added this album to the db couldn't be bothered putting in the individual artists

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

Deviant.

Also:

approaches within the Dub and Regge genres.

*reggae

It is a descend through lengthy arrangements of Dub music

*descent, though you don't descend through something

Also there's no need to italicize song titles, especially when you're already doing that for album names

octopus3000
April 14th 2012

Honestly, who gives a shit?

ThroneOfAgony

There's a 99% that's Sonic

April 14th 2012

Good review sir. Good read and to the point which was your goal that you accomplished just well. The length was appropriate. Just listened to gypsy man right now, brings back the memories.

POS

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

@Deviant.
I was the one who uploaded the album to the database, sorry for not adding the artists, it was a careless mistake. And
thanks for bringing the typos to my attention. Also, i italicize song titles and album names to differentiate them from the
other text. though i put song titles in quotations to separate them from album titles.

Also not to annoy with the question, as i know you guys are working on it, but we still cant edit our reviews, do you know
when that is going to be fixed?

ThroneOfAgony
April 14th 2012

Not to intervene but yeah I hope that gets fixed soon. It's beginning to become a pain for me.

And great review too, pos'd