Upon a Burning Body
Red. White. Green.

by DotEight USER (7 Reviews)
April 12th, 2012 | 79 replies | 13,027 views

Review Summary: Generic in every aspect, with a few rays of hope that shine through.

Upon A Burning Body is a deathcore band hailing from San Antonio, Texas. And if you know anything about them at all, you know that they are extremely proud of their heritage and the state of Texas that they grew up in. Obviously they wouldn't have named their second full-length "Red. White. Green." if they weren't proud.

UABB have taken their second-attempt at music-making and have basically refused to improve at all. What marred "This World Is Ours" still plagues this album. You'll find competent musicians, and some decent song structure - but you'll also find that cohesively it isn't anything close to special (Sumerian is notorious for having artists like this). What really destroys this album is from a lyrical standpoint. It's hard to tell if Danny at times is being serious or not with what he writes. "Because life sucks and then you die" isn't exactly a unique line, and these cliche lyrics are found scattered throughout the album.

With that being said, if you take the time to digest this album in it's entirety, it's a fun ride from start to finish. It's obvious that while UABB may not be the most talented band out there, they certainly know how to work well off of one another. Tracks like 'Desperado' and 'The Island of Lost Dreams' help to break up the monotony of the album, but again don't expect to be blown away. As it is 2012 now, most of us have spoiled ourselves in 2011 with the wave of fantastic releases in every genre.

Production-wise, the album is solid. Most Sumerian albums always sound at the very least acceptable. As standard, the bass is inaudible for the large majority of the album. The drums and guitars however are very clear and crisp, and Danny's vocals are mixed to where they are audible enough to understand, but they don't take away from the instruments.

All in all, "Red. White. Green." is an average album. There are some cool ideas at play, but long-time metal fans will find that this release just isn't up to par for this day and age of music.

Recommended Tracks:

"Desperado"
"The Island of Lost Dreams"
"Mimic"

Versions A Clearer ViewAPOSTATE Against All Odds
Yelawolf Trunk Muzik 0-60Chali 2na Fish Outta Water
Disfigured Elegance The Last DiseaseRebstar Bad Karma
2.9
good
Jacob Hollows (3)
While "Red.White.Green." is a pretty good standalone album, it fails to live up to the high standard...

April 12th 2012

Damnit I need to slow down proofreading before I hit submit.

April 12th 2012

Something is wrong with the MySQL script or something, won't let me edit. Any obvious typos I'll have to get in a bit.

carouse
April 12th 2012

If this is average, I'd like to know what constitutes a 2.

ILJ
April 12th 2012

You should expand this a little bit. Go into some specific examples of why "Desperado" and "The Island of Lost Dreams" aren't monotonous like the rest, and explain what exactly about the rest of the album is monotonous.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

April 12th 2012

Talk about what exactly makes the album bad or mediocre a little more.

and why do Desperado and that other song break up monotony?

you know

April 12th 2012

three of us just posted essentially the same thing at almost the same time....

April 12th 2012

Yeah, still getting the hang of reviews. I find that if it's not a band I like a ton, it's hard for me to write about it. And this band is meh. I didn't give it a 2 or 1.5 or anything because as a guitarist there really are some cool little riffs and solos on here. The album has some uniqueness, but in general it's still Sumeriancore.

April 12th 2012

its always harder to write negative reviews

April 12th 2012

I figure if I keep doing it I'll get better at it. I can always come up with an outline in my head, but on paper it's a different story.

Hawks
April 12th 2012

The title of this album is a fucking joke.

ILJ
April 12th 2012

"its always harder to write negative reviews"

It'd be hardest to write average reviews. If you really love something, you'll have tons of good things to say. If you hate something, you'll have a lot of shit-taking to do. Somewhere in the middle is a little more difficult.

yeah i guess

April 12th 2012

Make an outline or something. To expand on thoughts.

KSK1
April 12th 2012

"The title of this album is a fucking joke."

The album is basically a joke. Like he said in the review, I don't know whether or not he's being serious or not with those lyrics. Their debut album was so much better than this shit.

FearThyEvil9
April 12th 2012

These guys basically pulled a The Crimson Armada.

April 12th 2012

in that they started off shit and still are?

yea i can see that

Hep Kat
April 12th 2012

oh this is a deathcore band

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

Shevanel92
April 12th 2012

I constantly see bands being called "Sumeriancore", yet none of the bands that get labelled as such sound much like one another at all. How can After The Burial (for example) and Upon a Burning Body both be Sumeriancore?

Hep Kat
April 12th 2012

i think it has more to do with being signed to sumerian then the actual sound

it's like the term indie

Shevanel92
April 12th 2012

Yea it just seems kind of ridiculous to me, by that logic As I Lay Dying and Cannibal Corpse are in the same genre, but what can you do. Anyway good review, could use a bit of expansion but it pretty much sums up my feelings about the album perfectly.