Joy Division
The Best of Joy Division

by Graveyard USER (2 Reviews)
April 12th, 2012 | 38 replies | 4,102 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A collection of songs that represent the pinnacle of the band's relatively short career span

Joy Division's legacy was based upon the fact that the band was able to produce quality material, while under the constant stress of having to deal with financial issues, constant rejection, and an illness that plagued their frontman Ian Curtis. Being influenced by bands such as the Sex Pistols, it took some time and effort for Joy Division to develop their sound and song structures that fall within the post-punk genre of music. With the bass being the lead part of the band's collective sound, as well as the screeching guitar lines performed by Bernard Sumner, they distinguished themselves from the main Manchester scene that was going on at that time. With their audience in awe of the hypnotic sway and jagged rhythms of the band, everyone was forced into a wasteland of utter despair and in a grotesque state of hopelessness.

The compilation opens full front with "Digital" and already your given this sense of playfulness with the track, while at the same time the darkness run over you in a slow, cryptic like mantra state, concerning the depth of the subject matter presented with the lyrics. With the bass busting out of the gate with a simple yet catchy beat, everything else second to this only adds layers upon layers of simplistic melodies that complement each other in a positive fashion. With the drums in the standard 4/4 rhythm, the dynamics produced by the band play off each other like a game of chess, in terms of not portraying a certain style and sound set forth by the bands that were projected forth before them.

When it comes to compilations such as this, the songs selections range from sub-par to horrid results. Usually adding a bonus song or so to tempt fans into buying a range of songs that fans/locals don't care about or already have in their possession, this release stays clear of that all together. Thankfully these fourteen tracks should please the local fans, but might be a little disappointing to the fans more familiar with the band's catalog. All the favorites and stone cold classics are here, (Love Will Tear Us Apart, Dead Souls, Atmosphere, Transmission, etc.) as well as tracks that are pretty much useless in adding any depth whatsoever to this release (Incubation, These Days). In a more realistic sense though it is impossible to call these song selections the best, or even the highlights, when the band recorded no obvious low lights and only in a relative sense a handful of mid lights.

The only negative aspect of this album, are some of the song selections I mentioned earlier and could do without. There is no sign of fan favorites such as Day of the Lords, Passover, Insight and Colony, which only adds disappointment and a sullen nature to the listener's ears. With these accusations though, this is a great starting place for someone looking to get into Joy Division and hopefully might branch out into the band's other releases and the post-punk genre as a whole.

April 11th 2012

Anyone interested in this band should definitely pick up this or Substance

If you all find any grammar mistakes, please let me know, so I can improve on my reviewing skills

Parallels
April 12th 2012

oh i have this on disc it fucking rocks

Spec

Rules.

Parallels
April 12th 2012

"There is no sign of fan favorites such as Day of the Lords, Passover, Insight and Colony"

Nailed it. Otherwise this would be a 5 just like their studio albums. Why couldn't they have just put those songs on? The album could have fit 20 more minutes on the disc as it is... And this is a great review, pos'd

Thanks Parallels and Spec

There was so much potential for this release it almost feels like a cash in at some points

It's still not letting me edit some of mistakes in the review, though :/

April 12th 2012

man do I hate best of albums

April 12th 2012

They always get you with that bonus track, trebor

DarthMann
April 12th 2012

yeah and yesterday it wouldnt let me post in the meds thread and decided it would be pretty funny if it repeated my post about 9 times which i was supposed to delete

anyway sweet review mate

Willie
April 12th 2012

Ran it through word, couple of spacing issues was all.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

Thanks Willie

SgtPepper
April 12th 2012

Have a pos man, great choice for your first review. I hope to see more from you in future.

SCREAMorphine

Great review, pos

josh d is gonna shit

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Goatlord
April 12th 2012

I think in the case of Joy Division, a "best of" album is superfluous due their small discography. Why not just pick up Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and Substance right off the bat? They're all 100% essential top to bottom.

lol

"josh d is gonna shit"

lol is that a good or bad thing

April 24th 2012

bumping because of joy division

oltnabrick
June 3rd 2012

You might as well just review their albums

Digging: Miyuki - Fellow Citizen

June 3rd 2012

Well this needed a review, therefore I gave it one

Do you see the correlation right there?

June 3rd 2012

But baby powder is made of corn starch and I'm allergic to corn