Municipal Waste
The Fatal Feast

by Voivod STAFF
April 10th, 2012 | 54 replies | 11,122 views

Review Summary: Good friendly violent crossover fun in store for all.

Exodus described aptly the aesthetics of being caught in a thrash mosh pit in their all time classic anthem “Toxic Waltz” published in 1989. Good friendly violent fun in store of all. In the case of Municipal Waste this punch line is automatically translated to good friendly violent crossover fun in store for all. Their first three records were the absolute tribute to the crossover genre, as it was coined in the ‘80s where a good number of thrash and hardcore bands were intrigued from "opposite" trends and infused them into their ways. In Massive Aggressive however, the band aimed for a more mature way of song writing and to the delight of a good portion of metalheads this transition was warmly heralded. However, die hard crossover fans complained about loss of fun and immediacy by one of their favorite bands. Massive Aggressive was awesome in every possible aspect, however everybody knows that the band’s true game lies in their reckless oscillation between the hardcore and thrash extremes. Their new album The Fatal Feast is nothing short of the good old Municipal Waste we all come to love and wreck our necks with, but with a fair load of wisdom from previous massive aggressive affairs.

In The Fatal Feast the crossover wheel is hardly reinvented with respect to the band’s first three records. However, the acquired benefit of maturity from the band’s previous album is more than evident. Municipal Waste use their previously attained wisdom with the sole purpose of optimizing their "standard" crossover line of business. In result, the whole record sounds like one big and homogeneous thrash/hardcore song that lasts for the overall 37 minutes of the record, as the musical diversity that made Massive Aggressive so distinct in the first place is deliberately absent. The homogeneity of the music is further favored from the flawless sound production, the best the band ever had up to now. Apart from the musical aspect, the band concludes a return to form in terms of its lyrical content. Municipal Waste have dressed their music with some of the most entertaining lyrics (“The Fatal Feast”) they have ever written in their entire career. The lyrical merit of the eponymous song is so powerful that it can single-handedly drive critically acclaimed actor Leslie Nilsen (RIP) to take a temporary leave of absence from heaven and film one of his notorious film parodies, based on all time classic science fiction and splatter/gore films. Holding all aforementioned attributes in mind, the record’s merit is fluctuating only with regard to the kind of sensation every fan group is seeking from its crossover thrash. It is excellent for the band’s future live mayhem, great for domestic listening sessions with fellow crossover diehards under the influence of tons of alcohol and plain good for those who were sold by the unexpected musical diversity of Massive Aggressive.

In closing, with their new album Municipal Waste make an emphatic return to the ensemble of attributes that made them such a fun to listen crossover act in the first place. As the band's experimentation interval with musical maturity was used to make the new album's music more effective and catchy than in before, The Fatal Feast registers as a worthy addition in their back catalog.

Aura Noir Black Thrash AttackShattered Hope Waters Of Lethe
Shrapnel (UK) The Virus ConspiresBlues Pills Bliss
Tad Morose RevenantBolzer Aura

The Fatal Feast (video):

Constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

Ovrot

so is this good?

JamieTwort
April 10th 2012

Might check this out, I enjoy jamming The Art of Partying every now and then.

Great review as ususal Voivod. pos'd

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

so is this good?

It's great, as long as your only concern is caught in a crossover thrash mosh pit.

Deviant.
April 10th 2012

You have this weird habit of using far too many words to describe something that should really be the simplest of ideas to convey. I think I remember reading that English isn't your first language, and if that is the case then it definitely makes sense. But seriously, stuff like this:

As they have used the acquired experience from their experimentation interval with musical maturity to make their style more effective and catchy than in before

is a fucking rabbit hole of letters and words that if cut in half would make far more sense

Also on a side note, who the hell adds tracklists like that??

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

Ovrot
April 10th 2012

That all I'm ever concerned about voivod

TheNotrap
April 10th 2012

Enjoyable reading, have a pos.

I might check this out.

brb gonna first listen 3

DarthMann
April 10th 2012

saw heaps of spec editions for this today but instead i got seventh son of a seventh son, but ill get this next time

good review

Irving

Solid review Voivod my dear Greek buddy, but Deviant has a point when he says -

And the thing is I totally understand where you're coming from - I too have English as a second language, and there are always problems with word choice + being dialectically verbose when it comes to writing. A sentence like "Municipal Waste use their previously attained wisdom with the sole purpose of optimizing their "standard" crossover line of business" is totally something I can see myself writing, even though I know the verb "optimizing" works kinda strangely in such a context (a music review). And when you say "In Massive Aggressive however, the band aimed for a more mature way of song writing and to the delight of a good portion of metalheads this transition was warmly heralded, whereas die hard crossover fans complained about loss of fun and immediacy by one of their favorite bands" I see the same thought processes I experience when it comes to putting thoughts on paper (or keyboard).

One thing which I find helps somewhat is always going back to try and simplify the review - ask yourself: "Am I using too complicated words?"; "Is there an easier way to say this?". Obviously you thought those words were fine first time around but maybe a second eyeball will help clear things up slightly.

And then of course, there's always your family here at Sputnik to ask for constructive criticism. We do trust falls too ;)

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

Irving

Good call buddy.

April 10th 2012

Ok i edited the epilogue a bit.

I'll see what i can do with the prologue...

DarthMann
April 10th 2012

glad i made the right decision :]

strange how users with english as their second language are some of the best reviewers on this site.

taylormemer
April 10th 2012

"Also on a side note, who the hell adds tracklists like that??"

It was obviously ripped from the Nuclear Blast album page. The copy pasta missed a few ingredients along the way it seems.

Thanks.

I read and most importantly I speak a lot of English because of my profession.

This site has helped me a great deal in improving my written English.

ZedO
April 10th 2012

This site has helped me a great deal in improving my written English

Agreed with it, Voivod!

Jethro42

12030 Comments

Great review Vod, bud.

BlackLlama
April 10th 2012

Great review. I'm still torn on the actual music though. I love me some Crossover Thrash, however I thought Massive Aggressive was excellent.

Digging: Morgana Lefay - Maleficium

deathofasalesman

Great review!

I'm pretty curious about this. The Art of Partying is such a fun record, I just might check this out.

April 10th 2012

Congrats on the feature, haven't read your review yet but judging the number of "pos'" it's probably hella good. Will read ina bit.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II