Electric Wizard
Supercoven

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
April 10th, 2012 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Descending into a nightmare of bong-induced mysticism.

Electric Wizard's Supercoven is a voyage through lengthy instrumental passages decorated in a ghastly ambience. It opens with the eponymous track, "Supercoven". A flourishing release of gloomy psychedelia set the mood as it's cosmic vibe flows through our senses. Inducing a haunting atmosphere that keeps us hypnotized as the sounds of droning guitars begin to take over, having us descend deeper and deeper into that familiar abyss of inescapable darkness. It is an ominous, yet spellbinding experience right to the very end.

"Burnout" displays a different agenda. The instrumental elements have a much more elevated pace than "Supercoven", containing a more complex orchestration of guitar arrangements. The music reflects the mind-altering sensation of drugs as psychedelia decorates it's content. The lyrical verses project the familiar topics of drug usage that are often found in the music of Electric Wizard. The narrator confesses himself as a slave to that pleasurable sensation. Referring to a drug-induced state, that psychological seclusion where one enters that bordering line between imagination and reality. A moment in time were addiction seduces logic, and the only thing that matters is absolute euphoria. The guitar sections of this song are mind-blowing. These are passages where guitars replace lyrics as a form communication, letting the instrument express all of the intensity and aggression that posses it's musicians.

An updated version of Supercoven was reissued in 2000, which also contains two extra songs. The production on the bonus tracks is a bit rougher. "Wizards of Gore" is from a 1994 demo and "Electric Wizard" is a Live take from a show in Netherlands in 1996. This is a release that will be sure to quench the thirst of any admirer of Stoner Metal looking to venture into an odyssey through brutal psychedelic passages.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket

April 10th 2012

This is perhaps the shortest review I have ever written. I hope you guys like it.

Graveyard
April 10th 2012

lol love the summary and the review is pretty legit

pos'd

Funeralopolis

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict

April 10th 2012

Thanks guys. I cant believe no one had reviewed this, it's a great ep.

April 10th 2012

awesome review and right up

"he music reflects the mind-altering sensation of drugs as psychedelia decorates it's content."

that's what it's all about man

"The guitar sections of this song are mind-blowing. These are passages where guitars replace lyrics as a form communication, letting the instrument express all of the intensity and aggression that posses it's musicians. "

love the wording, on point. Pos boner

@CaptainDooRight
Thanks Captain. Speaking of guitars, I checked out Andy James from your review. I was watching "The Storm".... damn can he shred. I also love the camera shots and how they zoom in on the neck, makes it easier to try to learn.

April 10th 2012

Yeah man he is just unbelievable, I wanna gain that skill someday but yeah I'm watching that vid with the neck shots right now and jaw is still on floor haha

ZedO
April 10th 2012

...I cant believe no one had reviewed this, it's a great ep...

So, I'd say; thank you...pos!

ThroneOfAgony
April 10th 2012

Awesome review. You actually might make contributor

rockandmetaljunkie

Another well written review. Pos

"This is perhaps the shortest review I have ever written"
Ep's don't need long reviews, but short and to the point.

rockandmetaljunkie

EW rule

Inveigh
April 10th 2012

yea this is a great review for an EP that desperately needed one

nice work

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

17WordHaiku
April 10th 2012

Great review, pos for sure.

The wizard never disappoints!

MoosechriS
June 25th 2013

finally got round to buying this, just got to wait for it to arrive now. I'm quickly becoming quite obsessed with the wiz at the moment.

ffs
January 31st 2014

BlackWizard
June 1st 2014

Wow, very great review.

DikkoZinner
June 25th 2014

supercoven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![2]