pg.lost
Key

by minty901 USER (9 Reviews)
April 9th, 2012 | 20 replies | 5,027 views

Review Summary: pg.lost remain fixated on a path well-trodden, but when the music is this good, does that matter?

"Key" is the latest album by Swedish post-rock band pg.lost. Since their excellent debut EP, "Yes I Am", pg.lost have been renowned for their dark, wistful atmosphere and expertly-crafted crescendos. What makes this band stand out is how incredibly well-produced their music is, and this hasn't changed for their latest album. pg.lost have a knack for creating intensely loud and powerful explosions without any sacrifice to the clarity and crispness of the music. This makes their songs extremely listenable, even as they're blowing your face clean off. Yes, this staple of pg.lost's music hasn't changed, but neither has a whole lot else, for better or worse.

"Key" maintains the same tone that has been present throughout the entirity of the band's catalogue. The music is dark, and at times aggressive, but with an oft-present air of hope and romance. "Vultures" fits this bill snugly, recalling songs such as "The Kind Heart of Lanigon" from early in the band's career. Though this song is uplifting, it's nothing that hasn't already been perfected, and even exhausted, by this same band in years prior. This familiarity will likely disappoint those who yearn for something new from their favourite European post-rock outfit, however the album's merits should not be understated -- pg.lost are still the masters of their craft. They may play the same game they've always played, but they've yet to be bested.

This isn't to say that no time at all has been spent exploring new avenues of sound in the three years since their last release. Album highlight "Terrain" delivers a fresh take on the tried and true pg.lost formula, bursting out of the gate with hard rock riffs and screeching bombast, before seemlessly transitioning into more pretty guitars and a funky drum beat reminiscent of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie". This song is fast-paced and ever-so exhilerating, and doesn't let up. To mention Red Hot Chili Peppers in an atmospheric post-rock review might seem obscure, and it is, but that only serves as a testament to what pg.lost have achieved here. "Terrain" is aggressive, groovy and powerful -- with little doubt the best post-rock track of the year thus far.

Beyond "Terrain", though, "Key" is standard fare. Moreso than ever before does pg.lost's sound find itself amidst the generic; at more than one occasion are there moments that one might have professed were lifted straight from Explosions in the Sky's well-worn catalogue. Parts of "Spirits Stampede", "Sheaves" and "Gathering", in particular, are your usual showcase of how to make nice sounds out of pretty guitar melodies. These songs are very good, mind, and if this brand of luscious post-rock is to your liking, then you most certainly wont be disappointed.

Despite the occasional glimmer of something new from one of the genre's finest, "Key" remains fixated on a path well-trodden. pg.lost may one day hope push the boat out, but for now the anchor still drags along the seabed. When the music is this good, though, who needs drastic change?

Highlights: Terrain, Sheaves, Weaver.

Jimmy Eat World iTunes SessionFeeder Generation Freakshow
Explosions in the Sky All of a Sudden, I Miss EveryoneCaspian Live At Old South Church
This Will Destroy You Tunnel BlanketExplosions in the Sky The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
Eli EMERITUS (3.5)
No longer the genre's ugly duckling, pg.lost finally shows what it's made of with its third record, ...

1962 Comments

not a very imaginative review, i know, but i just wanted to get something out there for this album. it might read more like a 3.5 than a 4, which maybe it's leaning towards. but it is probably their best album and definitely recommendable. its available to download now from their label's bandcamp:

maybe one day i'll write a non-post rock review.

April 9th 2012

no joke I swear I was listening to this last night from rec'd thread

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

first lp is best though

1962 Comments

you mean yes i am or its not me, its you?

eternium

Definitely getting this.

April 9th 2012

"you mean yes i am or its not me, its you?"

yup that one "its not me, its you?" the other is an EP

1962 Comments

this one might be level with that one for me, if not better. it might not quite have the same heights as dayshift or siren, but its probably more consistent in the middle section. when i first heard this it was a 3, and i thought weaver was boring, but after multiple listens weaver is now one of my favourite songs by them. the album is definitely a grower i think

April 9th 2012

yeah I'm gonna be jamming it few times throughout the next couple of days, I do hope it grows

1962 Comments

you say it isn't as good as their first LP, but do you still like it?

April 9th 2012

also if you don't mind can you shoutbox me the link for the dl for this, would greatly appreciate it

oh yes love it

1962 Comments

i bought it from the bandcamp so this is the link i used:

it did leak about a month ago, so i've been listening to it for a month, but i have no idea where i found the link.

April 9th 2012

oh cool thanks, will thanks :]

Yazz_Flute
April 10th 2012

I always mix these guy's name up with Pg 99 and I got excited for a second.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Omaha
April 10th 2012

Pretty good review, good job friend. I saw this on Bandcamp last night and am intrigued.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

DarkNoctus
April 10th 2012

no idea what people see in this band :[

1962 Comments

their music is just so god damn well made. and at times really powerful (in terms of volume, not so much emotion). this is very close to being a 3.5 though. on it's own merits, its a 4 easily, but if one was to judge it based on the premise of having heard this kind of music countless times before and wanting something fresh, it would be no higher than a 3.5. perhaps a dual-scoring system based on experience is what's needed on this site :P.

April 14th 2012

1962 Comments

sheaves is quickly becoming my favourite song on this album. has the same structure as terrain with less oomph, but the way it builds up to the final moments is fantastic.

balcaen
May 10th 2012

Didn't think post-rock could be this boring. bah

May 11th 2012

1962 Comments

just had to check your godspeed ratings before replying to this. was gonna flame you for hypocracy if youd rated them highly. thankfully, you havent. i dont find this boring but fair point.