Megadeth
Cryptic Writings

good

by mark sammut USER (37 Reviews)
April 9th, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,957 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cryptic Writings is actually pretty straightforward

Megadeth is one of the biggest metal bands off all time, no question about it. Albums like Rust in Peace, Peace sells…But Who’s Buying? And Youthanasia are all undeniably great albums. Megadeth is all about Dave Mustaine. He’s the main lyrical force, the lead guitarist and vocalist. There have been overall 22 different members who at different moments were a part of Megadeth, and although a few have left quite a mark (Marty Friedman), as long as Dave Mustaine is the front man Megadeth will go on.

During the 90s, Megadeth had already built quite a fan base but they had failed to really reach a mainstream audience. Songs like ‘A Tout Le Monde’ and ‘Sweating Bullets’ had paved the way for them to follow Metallica and became music juggernauts, and this desire to reach those heights is reflected in the band’s music for the late 90s. Cryptic Writings was released on July 17th 1997.

Cryptic Writings was a fairly successful album, debuting at number 10 on the Billboard 200 and also going platinum. It continues the bands evolution to a more mid-tempo melodic hard rock style, although some songs are a throw back to their thrash metal days.

Mustaine has always been a vivid and good lyricist, even though at times he can become a bit to self-indulgent. Relationships (‘Trust’), drug addiction (‘Use the Man’), school violence (‘Have Cool, Will Travel’) and rebellion (‘FFF’) are all chosen as a subject matter for a song or two. Filled to the brim with good riffs and solos, although more melodic and restrained than their 80s and early 90s stuff, Cryptic Writings has all the qualities of a great Megadeth album…but it doesn’t quite reach that height as often as it should.

‘Trust’ opens the album, and it’s one of the best songs on the album. The opening drum solo is just brilliance, and the listener can feel themselves getting excited as Mustaine’s melodic riff starts to gain momentum and then it erupts, and we are taken into hard rock heaven. It’s not a particularly fast riff, but it’s still one of the best on the album. The song has a slow mid-section which has a beautiful melodic solo before gaining momentum again.

‘Almost Honest’ is similar to ‘Trust’, covering the same subject matter and having a similar tempo and beat, but it’s definitely inferior to the opening track. The riff is good, the chorus is also catchy, but it falls a bit flat.

‘Use the Man’ is an acoustic number. The lyrics are dark and haunting, following the story of a man who died after his first shot of heroin. It’s not your typical Megadeth song, and it’s often passed over for being an acoustic number, but it’s one of the best songs on the album.

‘The Disintegrators’, ‘She-Wolf’, ‘Vortex’ and ‘FFF’ are all throw backs to the bands thrash era. Fast riffs, aggressive lyrics and furious solos. ‘She-Wolf’ and ‘Vortex’ are similar to older songs like ‘Five Magics’ as they deal with the supernatural and dark fantasy.

‘Have Cool, Will Travel’ is a great number dealing with School Violence. The band also shows some variety by adding a harmonica to the song. It’s a fast number, with numerous of breakdowns and a good solo. Mustaine sounds just okay here as he does for the majority of this release. ‘A Secret Place’ is a mid-tempo rocker, with a number of different guitars being used. It’s a good song, with introspective lyrics about getting lost in your own mind.

Cryptic Writings is a constantly good album, but other than ‘Trust’ and maybe ‘Use the Man’, none of the album is really brilliant. It’s better than its follow up, no question about it.

Butch Walker Left of Self-CenteredPink The Truth About Love
Barenaked Ladies Everything to EveryoneMetallica Death Magnetic
Avril Lavigne Let GoGuns N' Roses G N' R Lies
3.2
good

Fluttertrank
April 9th 2012

A secret place is awesome. FFF is sweet too.

Ayashi
April 9th 2012

I love 'Deth but I found this album pretty awful, I hardly even like Trust. She-Wolf is good

April 9th 2012

Agreed with the rating. Not that great, but not that bad.

Digging: Messiah - Choir of Horrors

TheNotrap

Some nice songs here.
Trust, A Secret Place or She-Wolf rule hard.

Have a cryptic pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

SgtPepper
April 9th 2012

^ What bloc said. Trust is my favorite song. Have a pos.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

April 9th 2012

Is good but nothing more , trust and she wolf are excellent tracks .But the rest is nothing special despite of been consistent .

At least this is better than risk and the world needs a hero

AtomicWaste

1983 Comments

Album is okay. I might even argue it's catchier than others in some ways.

But in the end, Dave Mustaine still supports Rick Santorum and thinks Barack Obama was born outside of the US.

Digging: Rx Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty

ZedO

At least this is better than risk and the world needs a hero

agreed.......

But in the end, Dave Mustaine still supports Rick Santorum

I support Dave for US president! Anyway, he must keep his blonde hair long, and stay close with his
guitars and Megadeth, haha......

Dave for persident 2012-2016

KyokushinMaster
April 10th 2012

Hell no! Dave should never be president he'll try to convert everybody to Christianity. And all all of his decisions will be dictated by his religion or more so his Big Gaint EGO! I think he is a great musician, but I will never vote for him. If I had to elect a famous musician as president I'll elect Lars Ulrich many don't like him but he stands for what he believes in and he get shit done! Plus his level headed and a nice dude overall. Dave is also a nice dude at times but his bigmouth and ego betray him way to often and hes too right wing for me and I agree with republicans on a lot of issues. But his just over the top for me.

ZedO
April 10th 2012

Okay, I got it! what if:

Dave : President (Mr. BigMouth)
Lars : Vice President (Mr. NiceGuy)

They should be the Fantastic Duo!

Lars for vice-president