Epica
Requiem for the Indifferent

good

by My1mmortal USER (7 Reviews)
April 9th, 2012 | 40 replies

Review Summary: Epica release a predictable but solid 5th album.

Epica are a band that spawn much debate. On one hand they have produced some of the most intricate and epic symphonic metal to date ('Kingdom of Heaven: A New Age Dawns' springs to mind), but on the other they seem to have released the same album over and over. Generally weak and poorly composed 'The Divine Conspiracy' was certainly overhauled in 'Design Your Universe', which showed flourishes of genius and brilliance. The question is- will their new album show a new improved band, or a band who are being held back by their own direction?

The answer is, evidently, both. After the slightly cheesy orchestral opener (standard Epica fare) we are pulled straight into 'Monopoly on Truth', a fast-paced and enjoyable symphonic romp. This song is very much a standard Epica song, it would feel at home on any of their older albums, but it's certainly a fun and satisfying listen.

Simone is, as always, the brightest light in this album; her simply angelic vocals carry even the weakest of tracks and she, if possible, sounds even more perfect on this album. Mark Jensen's occasional growls are appropriately deep and strong, although one is sometimes left wishing he was slightly more articulate with his grunts. Songs such as the title track show the powerful co-operation of the two vocal styles, although Simone's cleans certainly upstage. This song has some interesting middle-eastern elements and a creative structure that leaves it one of the album's highlights.

Instrumentally this is a perfectly solid release. Solos are present on many tracks and they are generally pulled of with technical skill and are well-composed, for example the solo on 'Monopoly on Truth' or the keyboard/guitar solos on 'Internal Warfare', a dark and dramatic track. The orchestral elements are as always well produced and enhance the music in just the right ways, although just as on the older albums they have a tendency to stray into the realm of over-the-top and unnecessary.

However, this is by no means a perfect release. Far too many tracks could be given the unfortunate label of 'filler', as they follow a completely predictable song structure with almost no variation or unique features. Aside from the always-pleasing voice of Simone these songs slip under the radar almost completely, detracting from the flow of the album. Lead single 'Storm the Sorrow' has a pleasant and catchy chorus, but laughably boring verses and and an all too familiar song structure.

There is a 'ballad' on this album, similar 'Tides of Time' from Design Your Universe. 'Delirium' makes fantastic use of choirs to create an entrancing sound which carries the song as lead vocals float over the surface. While not exactly a stunning acoustic, the song acts as a perfectly executed chill-out track which functions as a much-appreciated break from the fast paced and heavy songs that dominate most of the album.

All in all a fan of Epica will almost certainly adore this release, it takes everything that made Epica a great band and improves it, if only slightly. However any who had doubts about the band before will certainly not be converted by Requiem for the Indifferent, as it still a very standard Epica romp that does little to change the group's direction.

The Agonist PrisonersThe Agonist Lullabies For the Dormant Mind
Kells AnachromieDjerv Djerv
The Agonist The EscapeEths III
LordXyrnos (2.5)
"Requiem for the Indifferent" features superb talent but little heart....

michaelk156 (5)
Epica flourish musically as they unveil a harder, more progressive edge to their sound. Although the...

Voivod

Ugh no

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

Dreamflight

Great review.

This is by far the weakest Epica album imo, especially the sequence of tracks 8, 9, 10 and 11, they're just too bad to be true.

I mean, when the best song here is the catchy one (StS), you can't avoid to ask "wtf happened?".

April 9th 2012

accurate rating, I struggle between a 3 and 3.5 on on this one.

there are some really solid tracks along with some that are not

I'm a big fan of track Delirium

My1mmortal
April 9th 2012

I completely agree, I love Avalanche, but the 4 tracks preceding it are not good at all. Delirium is beautiful, but I can't help thinking this band is capable of more...

pizzamachine

Good review. : )

The7thVermicide
April 9th 2012

The first part of this album is really good pal .

ZedO
April 10th 2012

great album. Simone Simons vocals, awesome!

April 10th 2012

ok so I've officially concluded that Delirium is the best track off this album hands down.

Knott-
April 10th 2012

I once heard a song by this band in a bar in France and had to ask the barman what it was, it ruled that much. I might check this out ;/

TheNotrap
April 18th 2012

too predictable but still has its moments.

Digging: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

CrookedYellow
April 26th 2012

I was worried after "Design Your Universe" went in the same direction as its predecessor "The Divine Conspiracy", with little difference in song structure between the two, that "Requiem for the Indifferent" would follow suit. I haven't listened to the full album yet, although I think "Storm the Sorrow" is fantastic , but judging from your great review the album has done just that. Epica is getting a bit too predictable. I wish they had lessened the bombastic style for this album and incorporate more of subtle style found on "Consign to Oblivion". Great review.

Dreamflight
April 26th 2012

Yea, Storm the Sorrows is amazing.

April 26th 2012

ok so I've officially concluded that Delirium is the best track off this album hands down[2]

Acanthus
May 16th 2012

Just got this, pretty cool CD art.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

May 16th 2012

I didn't really like the art. But album is pretty weak but better than most other acts doing the same thing

Poet
May 16th 2012

Band's always been boring sans a couple songs. I did just listen to Delirium though and good lord it is gorgeous.

May 16th 2012

Yeah bro that's my fav track off this. The rest are all average but that track is really legit. They coulda made a good album following formulas like that

Acanthus
May 16th 2012

Probably going to be a 3.5 for me honestly.

That's legit man