Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Tychozorente

good

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
April 9th, 2012 | 9 replies

Review Summary: Omar's "Electro-Pop" album.

Omar had previously ventured in Electronic music in a previous album, "Minor Cuts and Scrapes in the Bushes Ahead". For the most part, the album was instrumental and felt more like an experiment than a conscious effort. It was an exploration of the electronic genre with no particular purpose but to see what the end result might be. Tychozorente is an expansion of that experiment but only this time with the addition of famed Mexican singer and girlfriend, Ximena Sariñana, providing vocals. Where it's predecessor music was composed under a free-form environment, Tychozorente follows a more traditional orchestration.

The album opens with, "Los Siete Sermones A Los Muertos", and it immediately expresses both the mood and the agenda of this album. Its a very delicate piece of music decorated in the familiar layers of ambient psychedelia. This album is divided into two parts; the tracks that have vocal deliveries from Ximena and the ones that are narrated by Omar. There is a romantic atmosphere that is induced by the music that feature Ximena. They are often confessions of romantic experiences, describing both the blissful and devastating sides of romance. The instrumental elements of these pieces display a gentle composition of flourishing psychedelic sounds, feeling almost optimistic in nature.

The tracks that feature Omar project a different philosophy. The music exhibits a more gloomy tone, and his lyrical deliveries seem more like confessions of pessimism than romance. He does expresses a desire for love, but he uses obscure metaphors to describe his emotions that are almost unsettling to the imagination. This album could have been more enjoyable if it were to only feature Ximena's vocals on each track, without having Omar dwelling in ambiguous spoken verses in half of the album. But even still, its refreshing to see Omar expanding his horizons and experimenting with yet another new musical approach. I must comment on Ximena's versatility, as she enthusiastically ventures into whatever realm Omar takes her into. Whether it's Psychedelic Rock, acoustic ballads, or Electronica; she makes herself feel right at home, feeding off Omar's creativity and vice versa. Its tough to say how fans of Omar will view this album, as it diverts even further from his earlier efforts that consisted of more aggressive music. But there are some great moments within this particular effort, I recommend it to any fan who simply desires to listen to anything new from The Mars Volta guitarist.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket
3.3

April 8th 2012

Another Omar review. I hope you guys like it.

April 9th 2012

Lot's of Omar lately. I prolly won't check this out but POS sir.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

@CaptainDooRight
Thanks, mate. It's not a bad album, but he's done better.

April 9th 2012

lol that thing on the cover looks like a big gapping asshole that just got shredded by a girthie large
black penis

LOL

SCREAMorphine

Very well written, pos

Omaha
April 9th 2012

Never checked out anything by this guy other than Xenophanes and Solar Gambling. if I liked Xenophanes a decent amount where should I go from there?

@OmahaStylee94
I suggest "Un Escorpion Perfumado" and "Los Suenos De Un Higado", theyre pretty similar in style.

insomniac15
April 9th 2012

^^"Cizana De Los Amores" is great too, it's the first album I listened to from Omar and got me hooked up.

Digging: Mark Lanegan - Phantom Radio