Inverloch
Dusk|Subside

by Karl V.H. USER (85 Reviews)
April 9th, 2012 | 59 replies

Review Summary: One half back from the funereal/ death/ doom crypt.

Let’s get this overarching fact out of the way that will most definitely ring loud throughout every single review of this album: Inverloch are comprised of 2/4 of the original diSEMBOWELMENT line-up, producing only one single “unfuckwithable” L.P. called Transcendence into the Peripheral and is considered a cornerstone album in the death/doom realm. Now that the ‘compulsory’ back story is out of the way, we can now concentrate on the heart of Dusk/ Subside with few comparisons. As you might have guessed, Inverloch sound a whole lot like their father band (Opps, I spoiled that one) but this one off child E.P. manages to sum up all the parts of their genetic makeup in less than half the time it took diSEMBOWELMENT to do back in 1993. What also makes this sound so fresh, despite the comparisons is the production which could be attributed to the signing with Relapse Records, having a much bigger budget to work than when diSEMBOWELMENT signed on with Relapse way back in 92.

Beginning the album with nearly a minute of silence, the rumbling melodic guitars creep in at an Esoteric pace. As everything swells into the hyper speed death metal, you begin to realize that the similarities almost stop right there between Inverloch and diSEMBOWELMENT (fuck, I did another comparison). Everything just feels tighter, especially when the doom blows slam the blast beats right down to the floor and pick up again flawlessly with a mini-solo that riffs beautifully over another section of speed and finesse. As you might have guessed, the album is up and down the death/ doom ladder, not at all feeling forced together throughout the run time of each track. In fact, each track on this E.P. flows effortlessly into each other and after a couple of listens, the album feels like one gigantic song. That’s also the appeal of this E.P. and I find myself hitting replay on this monster because the run time feel so much shorter than it actually is. It’s engaging to say the least and each of the three tracks highlight the absolute best parts of why I love death and doom metal to begin with.

Simply put, I can’t get enough of this E.P., far surpassing anything in this genre that has been released within the past ten years. If death/ doom is your thing, you would be a fool to overlook this.

The Austerity Program Beyond CalculationGodflesh Pure
Sun Worship Elder GiantsLord Mantis Death Mask
Horseback Piedmont ApocryphaCarcass Surgical Steel

19498 Comments

Mini-review for a sweet mini-album. Fucking amazing stuff right here.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

19498 Comments

Oh and this album is streaming.

Relinquished

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

"dISEMBOWELED" first para

What?

seeing d.usk at Roadburn bro

That's what they were originally called and I'm fucking jealous.

Hyperion1001
April 8th 2012

you spelled it like that, its dISEMBOWELMENT

19498 Comments

Oh shit hahahahaha I guess I should read harder next time!

This album has been playing non-stop all day.

Eclecticist
April 8th 2012

I have been waiting for this to come out ever since I saw the announcement that it was in the works back like five months. I can't wait to get it and listen to it!

19498 Comments

Go give the stream a listen. Seriously, this is some amazing stuff.

Just preordered this album too.

Ending

1917 Comments

More death doom? Sweet! Nice little write-up too.

Minor subject, but isn't it diSEMBOWELMENT on the cover of TITP with the "d" and the "i" both lower case? Very minor question, but I'm curious as to know because it's going to bug me if I don't find out.

cvlts
April 8th 2012

this looks sexy. gonna check it asap.

lol unfuckwithable

April 8th 2012

This was excellent. Glad you reviewed it, Karl.

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

19498 Comments

I certainly fucked up the spelling and now logo of "diSEMBOWELMENT".

Now fuck off, I got it and fixed it!

MO
April 8th 2012

totally gonna check this out

19498 Comments

You had better or you're dumb.

Crysis, I promise that rating will go up!

April 8th 2012

single review of this album; Inverloch are comprised

Should be a colon, not a semicolon.

called Transcendence into the Peripheral, which is considered a cornerstone album in*

Ahhhhh gotcha.

Feature on this please?

April 8th 2012

Ask in the meds thread, I'm sure they would grant it.

Hawks
April 8th 2012

Definitely gotta listen to this.

Ending

1917 Comments

I certainly fucked up the spelling and now logo of "diSEMBOWELMENT".

Now fuck off, I got it and fixed it!

Alright, now I can sleep peacefully.