Sepultura
Roots

by YesImThatGuy USER (4 Reviews)
April 8th, 2012 | 20 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Roots Bloody Roots indeed.

What happens when a classic Thrash metal bands meets Nu-metal? Well, if your answer was Sepultura's Roots, then you are correct. Sepultura is a world renowned Thrash band. They have garnered so many dedicated fans and a cult-like following. So why would they suddenly want to stop making Thrash? To experiment a bit of course! This is what I believe most people neglect to think about when looking at this album. This isn't a horrible album like most people say it is. It isn't Sepultura's worst album. It is merely the band blending their classic Thrash sound with their Brazilian heritage. What I think turns most people off (or Sepultura fans) when they think about this album is that there are Nu-metal influences on it. This is not a bad thing. Nu-metal, although ridiculed by most Metal fans, isn't a horrible genre. It's bands such as Limp Bizkit and Coal Chamber that make it seem like such a horrible genre. So Sepultura experimenting with it a little bit wont hurt.

Now the Nu-metal sound isn't as in your face as it it would be with a band as such, oh let's say Korn. Though Korn is a Nu-metal band, I am just using this as an example. The sound on the album comes more from the lyrical standpoint and guitar tuning. Max is now writing lyrics that seen to be considered cliche for the Nu-metal genres; songs about pain and hate can be found throughout. Also, as I mentioned before, the guitars are down-tuned just like traditional Nu-metal songs (although I believe the guitars on this album are tuned lower than most Nu-metal).

Enough of my blabbering, let us get on with the review. The main thing that turned me to this album was the Brazilian theme it had going on. I've always been fascinated with Brazil and its culture. I've also been a fan of Sepultura for a long time. So, generally, I was excited for this album. When I got it and listened to it for the first time one thing was evident. Sepultura is heavier than ever. The opening track "Roots Bloody Roots" starts off with some jungle noises. Suddenly it throws you into the middle of a fury of down-tuned guitars. It's pretty brutal for an opening track. "Attitude" starts with some strange tribal instrument (that I still don't know the name to) which slowly transitions into some very creepy sounding guitars with yelling in the background. This is one of my personal favorites on the album.

So, the rest of the album is basically like the first two tracks, heavy and tribal-like. This is most apparent on the song "Ratamahatta". This song is sung entirely in Portuguese and features Korn drummer David Silveria and Brazilian musician Carlinhos Brown. It's a wild track to say the least. The remainder of the album has its ups and downs. Some good tracks and some throwaway tracks. Some of the good ones would be "Lookaway"(which features Jonathan Davis of Korn and Mike Patton of Faith No More), "Ambush" and "Endangered Species". Some of the throwaway ones would be "Spit" and "Dusted". There are also a two tracks where the bands is playing with native Brazilian tribes. These tracks are pretty neat and add something new to the album.

Overall this is a good album. Is it Sepultura's best? No. Is it a good addition to their discography? Yes. From this point in their career founder and guitarist Max Cavalara would leave to form the band Soulfly, and Sepultura would go on a downwards spiral. But, we can still enjoy the classics that Sepultura has given us.

InsaneRantings (2.5)
A Frankensteins monster of noise that is an interesting case study of what happens when a band tries...

sinnersparadice (3.5)

ThroneOfAgony
April 8th 2012

I would love to do a track-by-track on this album, but seeing as how the Sputnik community frowns upon them

Don't say things like this, please

thumbcrusher
April 8th 2012

i was gonna say what Throne said

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only by Fire

FearThyEvil
April 8th 2012

I thought his username was YesImThatGay.

MoosechriS

meh

thumbcrusher
April 8th 2012

the earlier thrash was better, but i still like this and prefer it a lot more to chaos ad

JamieTwort
April 8th 2012

Their first 4 albums rule. Don't care for this one.

Digging: Foxes in Fiction - Ontario Gothic

jybt
April 8th 2012

I'm reasonably sure the instrument at the beginning of Attitude is a berimbau, a traditional one-stringed bow; Max plays this professionally alongside his guitar.

Digging: Daniel Cavanagh and Joseph Geraci - The Passage

Idnuf
April 8th 2012

"This is one of my personnel favorites on the album. "

why are you letting your employees listen to sepultura on the job?

ba dum tsh

YesImThatGuy
April 8th 2012

"why are you letting your employees listen to sepultura on the job?

ba dum tsh"

Yea, it auto corrected that. But hey thanks for catching that.

The7thVermicide
April 8th 2012

Their older works are so much better ,otherwise is an enjoyable work an the singles are catchy

Voivod
April 8th 2012

Great album, albeit it's somewhat difficult to absorb.

Digging: Madred - Supersonic Brainfuck Overdrive

boom

bam

VisionsFromTheDarkSide

2009 Comments

Used to dig this album hard. Gone slightly stale since then

Digging: Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

FRUUUUUUUUUUITS

BLUDDY FRUUUUUUUUUUUUITS

darkwargreymon
April 8th 2012

The length is alright, as it does give a brief description of the band and the album. However, I feel like you could have explained a little bit more about the nu-metal influences or the things that are bad about the album. As people said before, remove the line that states why you didn't do a track by track, it sounds umprofessional. Instead, replace it with a little bit more detail. You can also compare it to similar albums or contemporaries. You don't always have to reference songs themselves, but rather elements that stand out. Overall I think you can have a little more description of these, but I can see you are trying. Try to fix this and you'll get a pos from me.

doesnt suck

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

The7thVermicide

Arise and Beneath the Remains are untouchable

macman76
April 9th 2012

Alright, Ratamahatta fires me up any time I listen to it, also makes me laugh