Lostprophets
Weapons

by Adam Knott EMERITUS
April 8th, 2012 | 108 replies | 21,120 views

Review Summary: A convincing and confident tour-de-force of addictive anthem-writing, propelled by something rebellious.

Shadowing Lostprophets is a tricky endeavour; sprinting away from the return-to-roots stylings of 2010's The Betrayed, they find themselves back(?) in the domain of no-holds-barred anthemic rock. I query the notion of return because Weapons is no Liberation Transmission; we've abandoned the weak-willed side of songs like "4am Forever" for a new, overtly rebellious and big declaration. As Ian Watkins announces on "Jesus Walks": "no matter what you do, you're gonna have to fight some day."

And so even though it eschews the accessibility of "Rooftops" and the nu-metal edge they toyed with reclaiming two years ago, Weapons is, bizarrely, the first record you can (perhaps) say sounds like a Lostprophets album. The guitars crash from side to side and every song is packed full of adrenaline-fuelled angst, often softly political, and even as it lacks the roughness fans clamoured for last time out, it finds depth in its intricacies. It's gorgeously trapped in the way "A Little Reminder That I'll Never Forget" takes tiny cues from Coheed's Black Rainbow electronics, and equally in the unadulterated sing-alongs.

And what's more endearing still is that a record devoid of real philosophy or poetic things to say grows into something to hold onto as a result of its own adamancy. Bolstered by the conviction with which the band deliver their steadfast fight-the-power mentality, this straight-up rock approach feels somewhat comprehensive in a way that makes their previous material feel unimportant. Take, for example, "Better Off Dead"'s defiant call of "I'd rather die on my feet than ever live on my knees," delivered from a podium which deliberately separates itself from the almost-rap of the song's verses. It's so well-executed that the cries of artifice! from various corners aren't even audible.

And if you press this all together with a production which surrounds and makes Watkins sound like part of some class-war whirlwind, what results is an album which weirdly defines Lostprophets in a way it's often been difficult to do. It's not that the Welsh rockers have ever blazed innovative trails, and it's certainly not that they do that here, but Weapons feels so full, so intentional, that it's hard not to get dragged into the chorus of people that will doubtless lock arms to these songs live. That's where these songs belong, if we're honest, but they sound pretty damn energised here too - as long as you turn them up loud.

Mumford and Sons BabelAbel (NY) Make It Right
The Gaslight Anthem HandwrittenMotion City Soundtrack Go
Sigur Ros ValtariSilversun Pickups Neck of the Woods
2.7
TBliss2 (2)
‘Weapons’ will no doubt please long time fans, but it also undoubtably presents the continuing s...

TH3FU (2.5)
The Prophets Put A Gun To Their Heads, Minus The Bullets...

Rowan5215 (2.5)
Just barely holding their heads above the water of mediocrity......

April 7th 2012

I've been disappeared (I'm now 23) but I'm back and this album is pretty great.

So: sup!

April 7th 2012

Is their a song about standing on a rooftop?

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

April 7th 2012

No, but indirectly there are about 7.

April 7th 2012

Is track 4 a Kanye cover?

April 8th 2012

Good review and happy birthday! (forgot to say it on Facebook)

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

20856 Comments

Colour me surprised... Even though this is probably a 3.5 for me also.

I was gonna review this, but then thought what else could I write other than "This is a Lostprophets album filled with anthemic sing-along rock". Well done stretching that to 4 paragraphs Adam.

April 8th 2012

Haha... thanks, I think! Half of the review is me working out in my head whether Lostprophets have ever actually been this band before. I really like the record... it's concise, feels natural and is really easy listening. "Jesus Walks" is a favourite track.

&&cheersSowing

20856 Comments

I got the feeling that this was a real "take little bits of pieces from all of their LPs to date" record.

It's definitely concise, but probably too easy listening in a way.

April 8th 2012

Yah, like I said, it lacks rough edges. I see them going quite electronic on their next record, personally... but then, who the fuck knows.

Curse.
April 8th 2012

I would've put money on this being a Davey review before I clicked on it

April 8th 2012

Haha, I was surprised he hadn't reviewed or dibs'd it myself ;D

Spare
April 8th 2012

this thread is like some kinda bad music taste convention

AtavanHalen

what the shit

thought this would be a ck review

burn burn the station

NorwichScene

Some good songs here

Digging: Twin Atlantic - Great Divide

fish.

Still think this is massively weaker than The Betrayed

Digging: Gesaffelstein - Aleph

20856 Comments

Adam, I think they're picking on you... by comparing you to me.

omgraptors
April 8th 2012

I hope this time around they don't release their best songs as bonus tracks only on the japanese edition.

I'll be really mad if 16."Young Pretenders" 17."Undefeated" kick ass.

thumbcrusher
April 8th 2012

It seems like they've just gone from Start Something to Liberation Transmission again.

The cover is eerily similar to LT.

Timmons