Hawk Eyes
Ideas

by Greg Fisher STAFF
April 6th, 2012 | 109 replies | 12,151 views

Review Summary: Wildly eclectic and forward-thinking, Ideas strikes a perfect balance between hardcore-infused fury, technicality and infectiousness.

Leeds-based Hawk Eyes have a knack for moulding a multitude of influences in their eclectic music. While their first album, Modern Bodies (released as Chickenhawk back in 2010), drew valid comparisons to noise punk legends, Unsane, given its no holds-barred, relentless approach to heaviness, Ideas departs from the previous full-length disc into a more diverse, fearlessly experimental direction. This doesn't mean that the quartet have resigned from such key components of their style as cascading guitar riffs, pounding bass lines, combative drumming and maniacal harsh vocals. The disc, in fact, vastly elaborates on the act's old sound, adding some unexpected facets that make their music particularly difficult to pin down.

Ideas contains a refreshing hybrid of styles with the group striking a perfect balance between hardcore-infused fury, math-rock technicality and infectious melodies that derive from alternative rock. Hawk Eyes sound spastic and experimental at one point only to become supremely accessible or even anthemic at the other. Their approach to a sonic onslaught relies heavily on frequent tempo changes, structural diversity and bizarre time signatures which can only match The Dillinger Escape Plan in their unpredictability. In addition, the songwriting feels admirably focused, yet oddly challenging throughout. The members of the band do a grand job in keeping their presentation fluid and, with its lean 40-minute running time, the album is suitably up-to-the-point as well as punishing in its delivery.

Paul Astick's versatile vocals are yet another asset of the disc. Aside from demented screams, his performance also features clean singing that frequently relies on arresting vocal harmonies. What's arguably the flashiest aspect of the disc is the multi-faceted guitarwork though. Both Astick and Rob Stephens deliver some of the most frantic and technical riffs in heavy rock. Opener “Witch Hunt” shrewdly incorporates plenty of superbly harmonized riffs into one biting whole, while dissonant “Yes, Have Some” sounds like Queens of the Stone Age on acid due to its peculiar rhythmic pattern. On the other hand, genre-bending “Bees” relies on a bludgeoning, sludgy riff in its ferocious chorus, being juxtaposed with spaced-out soloing in the track's finale.

Aptly titled Ideas may be a melting pot of influences, yet Hawk Eyes have absolutely no difficulty blending them together coherently. Especially the powerful mid-section of the album proves this point. “Hollywood Sweatshop” advances swiftly through its dazzling, often punk-echoing progressions, whereas “The Meeting” combines irresistible funky groove and playful chanting vocals to an unabashedly fun effect. Even when Hawk Eyes happen to explore their safer mode with a decidedly more traditional approach to song craft, their compositions are way more sophisticated than their peers'. For instance, “Headstrung” boasts supreme vocal melodies and has a linear structure that surprises with a mellow, nearly art-rock bridge.

Such boundless creativity, coupled with uncanny musicianship and subversive lyrics, clearly showcases Hawk Eyes as a force to be reckoned with when it comes to heavy rock. Ideas marks a major step in the ongoing evolution of the band. Endlessly daring and forward-thinking in its approach, this is one of the noisiest, yet most engrossing albums of the year.

Dog Fashion Disco Sweet NothingsSo Slow Dharavi
Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunFire! Orchestra Enter!
Ought More Than Any Other DaytUnE-yArDs Nikki Nack

April 6th 2012

cover immediately reminds me of disturbed ten thousand fist' cover

so there's a strong chance I'll hate this with a passion

I miiiiiight check it tho

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

April 6th 2012

This is my favorite album of the year so far. It really reminds me of Option Paralysis. These guys are hardcore punk minded version of Dillinger. Awesome stuff!

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

April 6th 2012

I don't really care for Dillinger but I'll check it anyways

April 6th 2012

^ Hmm. You may not like it then. It's very technical.

CrownOfMagnets
April 6th 2012

this isn't nearly as heavy as dillinger either.

April 6th 2012

It is in places. Milk Hog is just as heavy imo.

"It's very technical"

I love tech, as tech as they come, technicity isn't a deal breaker for me. Music is a deep personal thing and either they click or they don't. That's all it comes down to. I've listened to bands where individuals relate them as similar but one will be a big no for me, while the other is pure gold.

OK. Check out these then:

Eclecticist
April 6th 2012

Awesome review, very interesting to read.

April 6th 2012

Thanks a bunch dude. I think you may like this.

Eclecticist
April 6th 2012

I will definitely check it out when I get home.

April 6th 2012

I agree your summary is perfectly descriptive as well. POS.

April 6th 2012

Thx. They have kick ass videos too:

Skyspinners:

I Hate This, Do You Like It:

Whoah. Damn zombies.

April 6th 2012

Hey there! I watched the videos to the songs you posted and each time I was stunned by the change in rhythms and sound. They are cool, but a bit too metal-ish for me. Still, great review, you really combined here the words to make it a very interesting read. I have a lot to learn from your writing style haha. :D pos.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

April 6th 2012

There's no such thing as "too metal-ish" for me, but thanks anyway man. These were 2 out of their least experimental tracks tbh.

April 6th 2012

I'll check the whole album anyway

April 6th 2012

Cool. The album deserves more attention on here. I have a feeling a lot of Sputnikers would enjoy it if only they gave it a chance.

April 6th 2012

That's the case to a lot of albums. There are a bunch of albums praised by everyone and so many that people don't really want to check out because they don't hear about them. Many are preoccupied to listen to critically acclaimed albums just because they are critically acclaimed and don't just search to see what fits for them.

CasinoColumbus
April 6th 2012

Modern Bodies ruuuuuules. Still need to listen to this one though, but I keep forgetting about this album time after time. I guess dementia is coming early.

@insomniac15:
This is quite the opposite to what I do. I try to avoid the hype at all costs and actually search the stuff that interests me. That's why I'm familiar with plenty of excellent bands nobody on Sputnik has heard.

@CasinoColumbus:
I think it's much better/more mature than Modern Bodies. Still, these are completely two different albums. So, I can't say for sure that you'll like it more.