Primus
Tales from the Punchbowl

by FrizzleFried USER (15 Reviews)
April 5th, 2012 | 17 replies | 1,484 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Primus is not your natural band. But seriously, you have to say they are quite good musicians. The front of primus is the bass. Played by Les Claypool, one of the best bassist's in history. Though he is a little weirder then most bassists. Not his playing, but his personality is very strange, humorous, and just plain weird. But that dosen't stop him for killing his bass, using slap- bass technique. He is the front man of Primus for all you know it! Then "Ler". He is a great gutair player, but he simply colors the music in some songs like My Name is Mud (pork soda). Then Tim alexander. He is a good drummer. To me he does hit the snare a lot. But all drummers do. It is a main drum in drummer's drumsets. Tim does give Primus it's backround noise. Tales from the Punchbowl is their fourth album in the order of 7 albums (as of now.) It is a great album, But a lot of people do dislike it, but more people like it then dislike it. Tales from the Punchbowl is sometimes shortened as "Punchbowl"or "The Punchbowl". Is a great album filled with funk and Primus's genre complete. Bass bass bass is all you hear, most of the time, but gutair and drums, yes. But a lot of Bass. The two first tracks, Professor Nutbutter's House of Treats and Mrs. Blaileen are heavier then natural Primus songs. It all depends on the way Les writes the music. But if you listen to Antipop you will hear a lot of heavy stuff. Bands take different directions in their genres. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver is one of their most popular, but not their most popular. Southbound Pachyderm is a great song, but the intro just does not catch my attention, it may not catch yours either. But once you go along with the tune, it is good. There is a lot of good stuff on this album. The album is funky and you can go along with the catchy riffs, hard pounding drumming, which they actually made that sound, and awesome bass, yet again.

Les Claypool is a great bass player and awesome lyricist, just weird lyrics though. Because he is yet very weird. He has influenced a lot of people just like a lot of people influenced him, mostly Geddy Lee of RUSH. Les Claypool shreds his bas with his "slap bass" technique. You can seriously dig this guy, no lie, I gurantee that.

Larry "Ler" LaLonde was a gutarist for heavy metal band "Posessed". But he made a jump and decreased his genre, meaning that heavy metal is bigger, louder, and more trashing then Funk-Rock. Larry is a very great gutair player for Primus and we wouldn't have his epic trashes if he didn't join this wacky band. Thanks Ler!

Tim Alexander is another great drummer. But on this album, they made his drumming sound harder then he is really drumming. That just gave Punchbowl it's drum taste. Alexander hasn't been in the band the whole time. He left once, returned, then left again. Which lead to Green Naugahyde. With drummer, Jay Lane. Alexander will never be forgotten. He is a great drummer. He might return in the future. Maybe he will!

Overall: Great album, I enjoy popping it in to my CD player once in a while. Jam out to some weird liquid of Primus. The stories on this album is amazing. I love this album, lot of people dislike it, but more like it. You have to be amazed by some of this stuff. Gotta notice how good Les is. How good Ler's thrases are. How great Herb (tim alexander)'s drumming is. So go buy this album and jam out to some epic Primus.

Primus They Can't All Be ZingersPrimus Hallucino-Genetics (DVD)
Primus June 2010 RehearsalPrimus The Brown Album
Primus Green NaugahydeRush Permanent Waves
Tucker Best (4.5)

MustangHobo (4)
An exceptional album that expands Primus's sound into the realms of the epic while maintaining and r...

Maximilian Harkness (3)
Primus is awesome when they're Primus, not anyone else....

Cai (3.5)

April 5th 2012

my bassist loves this band for some reason I don't remember liking them because they seemed too corney and sporatic but I never gave them a proper listen, so I'll admit that

you can't admit something you already outright did

well sure I can I make the rules not you

ok way to get upset I was just messing with you

well I don't take kindly to stupid jokes

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

April 5th 2012

Much better than your previous reviews, but your constant use of 'but in the first paragraph
makes it a bit cluttered. But it's not a bad review though

pos'd

what captain
How can you not like primus

Digging: Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!

Primus sucks hard

ov gets it ;)

April 5th 2012

"but your constant use of 'but in the first paragraph
makes it a bit cluttered"

good thing he didn't have two "t's" going with that. woulda been off the charts

Yeah Ov I don't know bro, just never gave them the time. I'm sure their awesome and I heard their bassist shreds like no other, 'cept Geddy, but I'll get this tonight and give this a proper listen.

But amirite or am I tripping remember this being corney? bad memory sorry

Parallels

Professor Nutbutter's House Of Treats ftw

halloway

S-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-southbound pachyderm....

jayfatha
April 5th 2012

Least favorite Primus but it still rules pretty well I should prolly make this a 3.5

MichaelSnoxall
April 5th 2012

Not gonna lie, this wasn't a great review. But I love Primus. They always have a killer line up (Les, Larry and the ever changing drummer (they always pick the best drummers))

ok album

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

DallaShepherd
April 6th 2012

Much better than the previous, but hopefully you improve on a few things for the next one.

"It is a great album, But a lot of people do dislike it, but more people like it then dislike it."

Sentences like this don't tell us a whole lot about the album. You have a few of these throughout the piece and they are pretty awkward reads. Also, you spell guitar wrong at least twice..spellcheck!

"Which lead to Green Naugahyde. With drummer, Jay Lane. Alexander will never be forgotten. He is a great drummer. He might return in the future. Maybe he will!"

This is a pretty bad chain of sentences too. You learn very, very little about the album or band, there are too many pauses for my tastes, and I don't think the second one is even a sentence.

Not as bad as your first 3 or 4 reviews, but you still need work. That being said, thanks for atleast trying to improve...I'll go ahead and give you a pos.

omnipanzer
April 6th 2012

This is a rough review where the thoughts are kind of disjointed and not married together very well. Half the time it's as though you are listing facts and the other half listing opinions. It just doesn't seem to flow at all imho.

And then there is this:
"Bass bass bass is all you hear, most of the time, but gutair and drums, yes. But a lot of Bass."

What does this mean sir?

If this was your first I'd probably ignore it and advise but as it's your 5th I kind of want to neg.

Digging: Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

nah that's second
Sailing the seas is the best

Wolfhorde

12067 Comments

yea

April 7th 2012

gota agree with potato on that one although its close hard