Groundation
Building An Ark

by Rastapunk USER (28 Reviews)
April 5th, 2012 | 24 replies | 3,528 views

Review Summary: A masterpiece of Jazz/Reggae jamming from the beginning to the end.

Groundation has been around for a while now, and have been known to bring an amazing show when playing live. I've actually seen them once in November 2011 and it is truly amazing! I've been into them since last year after listening to their 2001 Each One Teach One LP. First time I heard of Building an Ark was actually after their concert, announcing it was going to be out in March 2012. I was so excited when I first listened to it that I feared I would be disappointed, thinking it would be better than their last one. But I wasn't!

Building An Ark starts off with a rather acoustic, and low song where Harrison Stafford gives a great singing performance. This is the song that will tell you that they still got it. And if you're still asking yourself if they're still reggae, Humility is there to reassure you. Their roots reggae is still perfect, and Stafford still gives you those perfectly timed singing and Dub sounds that he is known for. They kept their mystic atmosphere they had since their beginning and brought even more Jazz to their compositions, sometimes having entire part of their song being a Jazz jam.

Something very enjoyable in this album is the fact that everyone gets a shot in the spotlight. Backup singers are actually singing in Payaka Way, bass is very well heard, piano solos, trumpets, guitar solo, everything is there, like a huge Reggae/Jazz jam. I've already talked about Stafford's singing ability, but he is actually one of the highlight of this album. He has an incredible voice that you can sometimes mistake for Bob Marley. Some people would kill me for saying this, but this actually one of the best reggae band since The Wailers, musically and live.

I can't find anything I dislike in this album, and I've listened to it a lot of times since it's been out! Everything I've been saying earlier is there from the beginning to the end. This is truly a masterpiece!

If some of you still think Reggae is nothing musically, just an easy four notes song with the One Drop rhythm, listen to this LP and tell me if this is what you thought reggae was. Recommended songs: Building An Ark, Humility, Be That Way, Payaka Way, Daniel, The Dreamer

Groundation were for this album:

Harrison Stafford: Vocals, Guitar, Percussions

Butcher Babies GoliathHigh Tone Ekphrön
Aswad AswadBob Marley and The Wailers Survival
4.3

April 5th 2012

First try in reviewing reggae

Eclecticist
April 5th 2012

I fucking love Groundation, can't wait to download this album!

April 8th 2012

damn sput sucks for not showing this more attention

better than all that indie pop shit

come on sput stop being gay as fuck

April 8th 2012

and pos fucking hard

i love you for reving this my jah brethren

April 9th 2012

Thanks!!

April 9th 2012

"I'm thinking about slowly reviewing each album, and especially the Rockamovya (awesome side project) one."

Bro I'll pos every review if you do that, shout me when their up.

sup silent

Blackbelt54
April 28th 2012

I gotta get this

ch1l3n0
June 8th 2012

I completely agree with you. Groundation is the best reggae band since Bob Marley and The Wailers. But Harrison's voice is unique, I can't see how you can mistake his voice for Bob Marley's voice.

June 8th 2012

Blaze it.

June 9th 2012

Singing style, have you heard Rockamovya??

Tyrael
July 8th 2012

20824 Comments

Oh man this band needs more attention on sputnik

one of the better american reggae bands along other powerful acts like Giant Panda Guerillia Dub Squad, John Brown's Body and 10 ft. Ganja Plant

Tyrael
July 8th 2012

20824 Comments

Oh well I haven't heard this one yet but Hebron Gate is a classic

July 17th 2012

Yeah they're definitely the best reggae band since the Wailers!

green grass pastures

What?

weed bro, weed

July 18th 2012

No need, music makes me go high enough ;)

July 18th 2012

i respect that, i'm thinking about fully quiting myself

July 18th 2012

Never started, smoked a little bit with friends at concerts but never really started. I prefect the effects of alcohol :D.

I think you'll appreciate the music to it's entire quality when totally sober, because when drunk/high we tend to only hear bass... :P

July 18th 2012

yeah i listen to music both ways all the time, im not sure if i have with this or not but yea