I The Mighty
Karma Never Sleeps

by NothingForSomething USER (22 Reviews)
April 5th, 2012 | 16 replies | 10,586 views

Review Summary: My biggest problem with I the Mighty: the name.

When I was first recommended this EP, I thought that I'd be dealing with some forgettable metalcore band with a name just as original as the music. Clearly I had never heard of I the Mighty before, and my bad judgement almost led to a great EP going right over my head. Don't get me wrong, they are breaking no genre walls or pioneering a new sound. But for what it is, Karma Never Sleeps has a memorable charm to it similar to the kind I find in Secret & Whisper's Teenage Fantasy. It could be because of either the talented vocalist or just my longing for progressive tinged post-hardcore; Regardless I the Mighty, Equal Vision Records' newest member, has crafted a worthwhile debut.

The San Francisco quartet's six songs clock in at about twenty-four minutes-neither too long nor too short. Additionally, in regards to order of songs, Karma Never Sleeps feels very cohesive, with a well defined beginning, middle and end. The beginning is not abrupt and feels like a proper beginning, and the end is satisfying with no feeling of loose ends. In this way there's a very slight but surprising sense of immersion.

The vocals and lead guitar are the strongest aspects of I the Mighty. The vocalist, when singing with power shows brief glimpses of Secret & Whisper circa 2010-and interestingly at softer times sounds a bit like Anthony Raneri of Bayside (see Dancing on a Tightrope). As far as the instrumentals go, the guitar stands out the most with great technical riffs throughout every song. At times, and with all band members in unison, they achieve a great ambient sound as well (see the latter half of Cutting Room Floor). The downside, however, is that at some points the EP fails to stay fresh...specifically around the fourth song, the Frame III. Fortunately Karma Never Sleeps finishes on a strong note with the best it has to offer, Escalators.

With a little more personality, I can see I the Mighty gaining a following with fans of Closure in Moscow and the like. Until then, Karma Never Sleeps will do. It's a great, but definitely not perfect label debut with a fantastic musical aesthetic.....all they have to do now is change their name! (kidding).

Defeater Letters HomeApart From This In Gloom
Turnover MagnoliaSenses Fail Renacer
Vanna The Few and the Far BetweenFrameworks Small Victories

AtomicShane
April 5th 2012

i was waiting for a review for these guys. they're pretty dope.

TooLateToGoBack
April 5th 2012

time for a name change. will check out since I need some new post-hxc

nice review.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

Sauce
April 10th 2012

escalators is so good

iamSeraph
April 11th 2012

short and fitting...nice read.
great music anyway.

BewilderedLemon
April 12th 2012

Cutting Room Floor is amazing.

Strider
June 14th 2012

I'm falling in love here

erandolph90
July 15th 2012

I'm in the same boat, "here comes the chugga chugga I The Generic," but I was pleasantly surprised. I feel like track four and five are definitely not up to par with the rest though, as you said, it flows very well.

sixdegrees
August 7th 2012

The Frame III rules.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

cliiint
October 7th 2012

this is awesome, every song is really catchy

Cygnatti
October 7th 2012

good band

Acanthus
November 2nd 2012

Pretty good stuff here, reminds me of the later mid 2000's post hardcore stuff.

nofyt
January 10th 2013

I agree about The Frame III, the weakest link, but all the other songs are outstanding! I would also think that Closure in Moscow fans would absolutely love this album!

Great review, and as mentioned, this is just an EP, wait for the full length and they will blow our minds!

suppatime
January 25th 2013

this ep makes me wanna do it

swordsforhands
May 1st 2013

These guys were a pleasant surprise.

nononsense
May 1st 2013

Good band.

Digging: Invent, Animate - Everchanger

DaveyBoy
November 1st 2013

20856 Comments

San Franciscan rockers I The Mighty continue to evolve on their dynamic 3rd EP 'Karma Never Sleeps'. With a conceptual theme of karma running through its 6 tracks, this is both accessible & technical, as melodic guitar lines & hard-hitting drums provide a fantastic backing for Brent Walsh's versatile vocal range. Tighter & more focused than its predecessor, this cohesive release dials down the hooks for the sake of its progressive tendencies. Another strong EP, the sky is the limit for this talented quartet who have taken a step in the correct direction here. Recommended Tracks: Dancing on a Tightrope, The Frame III & These Streets Are Alive.