Pianos Become the Teeth
The Lack Long After

by Neal Zetek USER (6 Reviews)
March 28th, 2012 | 235 replies | 18,045 views

Review Summary: "I'm pleading for one more time with what I know now."

The rolling drum fills of Filial that introduced us to Pianos Become The Teeth back in 2009 are absent in the first jangly strums of The Lack Long After. Then the song explodes right back in to the cathartic post-rock swells listeners have come to expect from Pianos. The first thing you’ll notice on this release is that the songs are heavier and that the mix has cleared up. At times Old Pride suffered from a muddy mix, which caused the songs to bleed into each other. This flaw isn’t completely fixed because the band’s songs still tend to blur into one another but the guitars pierce through the cacophony of bombastic drum fills and separate themselves from the vocal tracks better this time around.

The structures of the songs make more sense now. The climaxes are tighter and more elegantly executed. After opener I’ll Be Damned peaks into its feedback screeching drum roll ending, you ask yourself, “how the hell they’re going to top this?” and they do. The disjointed nature of some of the tracks on Old Pride are gone, nosedives in tracks come when they should, build ups are implied and led up to in the instrumentation.

The broken howl of Kyle Durfey sounds as pained as ever but there seems to be a little bit more variance in his screaming, including some really pretty harmonies. There are also some really well done breaks in the songs where the instruments go quiet leaving the screaming alone to carry the song.

One of the stand-out moments on the album comes on Shared Bodies when the drums abruptly come to a halt leaving a mournful post-rock twinkle and the refrain, “But I think I felt more inside you then I would have liked!” that repeats until erupting into really beautiful breakdown. A similarly cathartic moment comes in the slow-burner Liquid Courage that build into repetitive post-rock swelling that peaks higher and higher until exploding out onto the next track Spine with some really manically calculated drumming.

The only thing hurting this album is the same thing that hurt Old Pride, a sense that the songs bleed into each other. Regardless, Pianos have created eight songs that effectively destroy the eight given to us two years ago.

Portugal. The Man Censored ColorsPortugal. The Man In The Mountain In The Cloud
Touche Amore ...To the Beat of a Dead HorseTouche Amore Parting The Sea Between Brightness And Me
The Black Angels Directions to See a Ghost

cool album

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

Spec

treb

March 28th 2012

The singer has long hair and is awesome
So rare in hardcore

March 28th 2012

one of my favorite screamo albums ever

SCREAMorphine
March 28th 2012

Listened to a couple of tracks on Youtube when this came out but never got the actual album, maybe I should.

Nice review

Damus
March 28th 2012

be nice and give postive feedback!!!!

It's good

MarkTheDead
March 28th 2012

Great review, though it reads like a 4.5 considering the only thing you note to have an issue with is the fact that songs tend to blend well with one-another. xD

TooLateToGoBack
March 28th 2012

Absolutely love this album.

"Sunsetting" is probably the best song they've ever done.

FromDaHood
March 28th 2012

This album had very minimal staying power just saying

Digging: Phantogram - Voices

sixthgoldenticket

best wave band.

Apollo
March 28th 2012

have not been able to find a decent torrent of this

fish.

20200 Comments

I got a decent download ages ago but it was probably on mediafire and so's probably gone now. I have the CD anyway

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

Funeralopolis
March 28th 2012

introduction is so awkward, more so that there isn't one.

Digging: CunninLynguists - Oneirology

March 28th 2012

"This album had very minimal staying power just saying"
wrong but ok thanks

Funeralopolis
March 29th 2012

Huge step up from Old Pride

March 29th 2012

album has some of the most depressing lyrics ever written seriously

Alxander19
April 2nd 2012

This is pretty much the most emotionally cathartic album I've ever heard.

MarkTheDead
April 3rd 2012

If you think so, do yourself a favor and check out I Wish I Could Stay Here by Basement, so much passion and raw heart in that album. Give it a spin Bro!
:D

SCREAMorphine
April 8th 2012

Had this at a 3.5 but bumped it up to a solid 4, fantastic album.