Sepultura
Arise

by Foodforthegods USER (35 Reviews)
January 19th, 2006 | 173 replies | 81,486 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

After their first big release, Beneath the Remains in 1989, Brasilian Thrash metallers Sepultura put out The amazing Arise. The period was really nice for thrash band. A lot of classic album were release at this period : Rust In Peace, Seasons In The Abyss, Coma Of Souls, Black Album,etc. So at the time Thrash was really big and Sepultura was at the top. This Album give them the status of Thrash Legend. Lead by Max Cavalera the band continue in the thrash area at the time. I'm gonna review this masterpiece track by track.

1-Arise
This is the title track of the record. It starts with noise from a kind of factory. Then the Thrash madness comes in. The band enter at the speed of 236bpm wich is pretty fast. The riff is simple but really catchy. At 1:30 the song switch to a brigde. You can hear some classic lyrics by max: I see the world old...old....I see the world dead...DEAD!!. Then a slayer-like solo is player by andreas. It's one of the best Sepultura Song ever.
2-Dead Embryonic Cells
Another classic song. The Strongest part of the song is the amazing drumming by Igor Cavalera. He plays a lot of crazy fills, double bass and his beat are really groovy. The riffing is awesome. A Fast song but not the fastest. It's about 220 bpm. The Chorus is a great Thrash Riff followed by a great lead and double bass. The Solo is great and very technical. Tapping, legato, etc. Then one of the most amazing breakdown ever comes in. Wow!! I love it. I think too much band tried to re-create this kind of vibe but failed.
3-Desperate Cry
The best song in my opinion. It starts with weird noise again. Then a clean acoustic riff is played. Then the Distortion is back. Probably the slowest song of the record beside the middle of the song. The best riffing too. This song is guitar masterwork. The main riff is so heavy. Remember that their guitar are in standard Tuning. Another Thrash part comes at 2:08. Pretty fast again. About 220 bpm. A fast but short solo by andreas. Then the song slow a little bit and the clean riff is back. Another thrash riff in E. Another great riff comes in. The best part of the song is at 3:53. One of the best bridge I ever heard in my life. Great Drumming and...WOW the guitars are so awesome. Andreas does another great lead work. A weird part follow with a disharmony guitar stuff. The end of the song is pretty intense. I love when Igor is almost destroying is drumset.
4-Murder
A fast song. Starts with a fast triplets riff. Then Is slows a little bit. The Guitar work is good as asual.The song is good but it doesn't get me like the others. This is a standar thrash piece(Fast riff, Solos, greath drums,etc).
3,5/5
5-Substraction
Starts with a drum fill. Wow I love The guitar riffs.A pretty fast song again. I love the chorus, he is different from the other song. The drum is pretty intense. Andreas pulls out one of his best solo of the record. Another Breakdown. A Great Bass line, then the band comes in with another amazing riff. A great Song
6-Altered State
Another Amazing song. Starts with weird noise again. The one of the most brutal riff eber is thrown by Sepultura. I love the progression in the intro.The Drum is really pumping. I almost want to destroy something when I listen to this song. A lead finishes the intro then max voices comes in. A great breakdown at 3:05. Then a great solo comes in. Probably the best of the record. I love the post solo part. It's So heavy. Then the song finishes the way it started.
7-Under Siege
Start with an acoustic pieces. Then the drums comes in...then the rest of the band. It's the worst song of the record. I hate the effect that they put in max's voice. Beside that is a standard sepultura song.
3/5
8-Meaningless Movements
A great Intro. I love it. It's so pumping. The riffage is perfect again.A great lead at 52sec. Then an awesome riff follows. A great Song. A lot of great riffs. Another awesome performance by Igor.
9-Infected Voice
The fastest song of the record. It gets to 250 bpm. It Starts with a Arise kind of riff. The riffs are so nice. Cool lead work again by andreas. The verse riff is cool and pretty fast.A cool part starts at 1:31. A lightning fast solo at 2:25. Great Song
4,5/5
10-Ogasmatron
What can I say about this Motorhead cover. It's better than the real one. They did a really good job on this song.
11-Intro
This was used to start their live show. It's great.
4/5
12-C.I.U. (Criminal In Uniform)
It starts with weird noise then a awesome riff comes in. This is another standar song by sepultura.
3,5/5
13-Desperate Cry(Scott Burns Mix)
I can't tell the differance.
???/5

Overall 5/5 This is a masterpiece.

Goods:
-Some of the greatest metal riffs ever
-Amazing drumming by Igor
-A better production

Bads:
-the voice on Under Siege
-It may be repetitive for some people.

Dave Matthews Band Away From The WorldU2 360° at the Rose Bowl
Dave Matthews Band Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux KingNeal Morse Testimony
Dimension Zero Silent Night FeverNovembre The Blue
4.2
ScuroFantasma (4)
: A full power thrash metal album that induces head-banging from start to finish...

lostforwords (5)
A classic thrash metal album whose commercial success is just an indicator of its quality...

Neoteric
January 20th 2006

This is THAT good? Sepultura is one of the only thrash bands I've not thoroughly checked out.

Soloistdk185
February 2nd 2006

yea i'd say so man, even though i like almost every album, its this album and chaos ad that stick out the most. I mean its got songs like arise, dead embroyonic cells desperate cry and subtraction. Big time songs in my books

Aeksis8745
February 23rd 2006

I'm a big thrash fan but i haven't picked up any Sepultura yet. Which album should i pick up first? Good review by the way.

Neoteric
February 23rd 2006

Beneath The Remains.

iceman3019
March 18th 2006

i'm listening to this right now after (legally) downloading it. it's a hell of a lot better than roots, but i think it comes second to chaos a.d . . . 4.5/5 . . .

Aeksis8745
March 23rd 2006

Just picked this album up and it is awesome. Max should go back to this stuff with soulfly.

FR33L0RD
January 7th 2007

Good review for a Good Trash Metal Album

rasputin
November 10th 2008

Love this album, it totally ruined my face when I first heard it at 15, and still does.

taylormemer
November 10th 2008

Oh yeah. I forgot I owned this. Coolies.

ManWomanBoogie
November 13th 2008

Personally I don't get what makes this album so cool, but all righty.

taylormemer

Good death metal?

ManWomanBoogie
November 13th 2008

I find this to be rather boring, really.

Satana
November 24th 2008

death metal?

Ryce
June 15th 2009

Ummmm....Black Album wasn't thrash.

thrashman77
October 20th 2009

beneath the remains was better, or i liked more tracks on it for some reasons. though embryonic cells is still my fav song before the went to crappy grove

a5thdiad
October 23rd 2009

i think this is borderline thrash/death, it's chunktastic...definitely one of the purest metal albums ever, in my book.

TRMshadow
November 9th 2009

I'm thinking of getting a Sepultura album, should I get this or Chaos A.D.?

Jesuslaves

Beneath The Remains.

rasputin

This.

TRMshadow
November 9th 2009

I'll go with this since this one was 4 bucks and the other was 9.