Make Me Famous
It's Now or Never

by Jarred Gandel USER (3 Reviews)
March 26th, 2012 | 49 replies | 10,863 views

Review Summary: From Youtube to Sumerian Records

If you ask me what the greatest innovation of recent history is, I'll go ahead and say the internet, hands down. Everything you want to know about anything is at your fingertips. You can stalk your ex-girlfriend through social networking websites, see if that irritation in your pants is something you should get checked out, or even look up something to prove your annoying friend wrong! The internet is quite something, and we all take it for granted. Denis Shaforostov knew that (possibly?), and through the power of Youtube promoted himself through vocal and guitar covers, and soon enough started posting Youtube videos of his own metalcore band "Make Me Famous." His band then got signed by Sumerian Records, released a single, released their first record titled "It's Now or Never," and they all lived happily ever after.

It's quite the story, really. It also helps that this album isn't actually terrible, unlike most recent metalcore releases. Sure, it's not perfect, and there are some cliches I'd rather not hear (cheesy electronic parts), but they do a good enough job at keeping everything fresh and listenable throughout the album. That being said, this is a 15 track album with each song lasting almost 4 minutes, and sitting through the whole thing without your neck snapping off from all the headbanging may turn off some that want just a quick listen. The terrible and laughable track names may also make some question the integrity of this album.

The album opens with "Blind Date 101," which is easily the worst song to open the album with as it is the most predictable and straightforward song on the album. It would be suitable as filler halfway through the album, but tossing it at the front of the album was a lackadaisical idea as the track is missing the grabbing power openers should have. It's one of the few plagues on this album, aside from the unnecessary and almost intrusive electronic/dance parts scattered on the album. The album really kicks off with the 2nd track titled "Make It Precious," which also happens to be the first song Make Me Famous ever released. The rest of the album is well put together and well produced, and nothing is really too overdone in my eyes... I mean my ears.

Denis has an extremely high vocal range (listen to Once You Killed A Cow, You Gotta Make A Burger) and is well complimented by Serj Kravchenko, who does the powerful lows that are dominant throughout the album. The two harmonize cleans and screams beautifully and take advantage of it wonderfully. In fact, everyone in the band is great at what they do. Catchy guitar melodies are laid down on top of chugging guitars that follow the drummer, who plays absolutely out of his mind. Some of the drum fills and double bass work are pretty remarkable, especially for a metalcore album. The 7th track titled "In the Shadows of You" is a step away from the usual, given that it sounds like a glam metal instrumental, but is none the less my favorite track on the album and really shows off the technical complexity this band has.

For a band that started out on Youtube, these guys did alright. It's nothing groundbreaking and they aren't changing the metalcore genre anytime soon, but this is a great album regardless. The instrumentation and vocals are all wonderful, even though they are occasionally broken up by the repetitive and pointless electronic parts, but it's not enough to hamper the listening experience. With all the "Attack Attack" and "Asking Alexandria's" of the world, this is a nice change of pace.

2.3
TheRevi3w (2)
A new metalcore band with amazing talent; if they weren't an Asking Alexandria knock-off....

DropdeadWHA (1.5)
Make(s) Me Sad......

Dimitri1033 (2.5)
Stand Up and Scream v0.5...

Lennon Sipes (2)
At least they didn't name the album "Never Say Never"…...

DrummerDudeGuy
March 26th 2012

Writing reviews are harder than what I thought... let me know how I did

Shiduba
March 26th 2012

It's a nice review, and I also like this album, it's a fun listen, even though a bit lengthy. These
guys basically take the Asking Alexandria formula and do it a bit better. I like the fast breakdowns,
and the vocal work is impressive. Some tracks are pretty bad though, could have cut the album down to
10 or 11 tracks in my opinion. Make it Precious and Once You Killed a Cow are still awesome, despite
being old tracks. And the drummer kicks ass.

TooLateToGoBack

Nice review.

That band name, though. awful.

Funeralopolis
March 26th 2012

good review for a new reviewer.

Digging: CunninLynguists - Oneirology

RosaParks

amazing album!

Nikkolae
March 26th 2012

Standard "metalcore suxs but this doesnt suck that much, listen to it" review

Digging: Corrupted - Paso Inferior

BewilderedLemon
March 26th 2012

I'm pretty sure Asking Alexandria made this exact album a few years ago and it was shit then.

Funeralopolis
March 26th 2012

they made it now but time travelled and released it then

Love your summary.

Was going to check this out, but I Youtubed a few tracks and seemed like just another 2.5.

Digging: Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead

IAmKickass
March 26th 2012

This album is about 5 songs too long.

March 26th 2012

I used to watch that Dennis kid's youtube videos

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me

RosaParks

me too
who would have guessed that he lacks any creativity at all

patman1001

this sounds exactly like Asking Alexandria

KSK1
March 27th 2012

It's a shame that this is so bad because the vocalist is pretty damn good. Also, 15 songs? Talk about dragging.

jackalope11
March 27th 2012

I listened to a couple songs today and it actually wasn't that bad. That Earth song is fucking beast. The techno is shit thoughhhhhh

GunmetalAngelx
March 27th 2012

I downloaded the entire thing and then was tempted to write a review myself so I did lol. Seriously didn't like it ALL that much though, this type of metalcore has just been done so many times before.

cycon0
March 27th 2012

They know how to keep up with the latest "scene" trends but I personally feel that Denis shouldnt have deserved anything from anyone. The amount of arrogance and downtalking to anyone who has ever tried and critique (constructive or not) him, ask him simple questions about him and his music and/or proved his "put in place" comments wrong is unbelieveable. Not only was he a pretty ungrateful person then but now that everything is handed to him on a silver platter, he will continue to take everything for grantded and not even be appriciative. I don't care about any BS he tries to pull on any of his fans now and even then, but it shouldnt have been ignored.

It's Ukrainian Asking Alexandra without a doubt.

TomorrowIsTuesday
March 30th 2012

The efforts to be funny in the song names really annoy me.

This Song Is Blacker than Black Metal and Earth are pretty awesome but the rest is eehhhh....

J0ckstrapsFTW
March 31st 2012

So boring and I like this kind of shit

mastille
March 31st 2012

The vocals and lyrics are pretty horrendous

Asking Alexandria is much more entertaining, they have a good vocalist

If anything this band reminds me of Etienne Sin

Maybe not as obviously insane but...