Orbital
Snivilisation

by ThroneOfAgony USER (12 Reviews)
March 26th, 2012 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Both very creative and brilliantly thought out, this is by far an amazing electronic album.

Orbital is easily one of the best, most influential techno groups to emerge from the early 90’s, and their album Snivilisation perfectly exemplifies why this is. Even though their unquestionably amazing record, In Sides has been classified as their most groundbreaking, Snivilisation is still very essential from the group. Snivilisation is loaded with an immense amount of goodies/gems on it; piercing, yet completely out-of-the-ordinary melodies that could easily rupture your bones into tiny shreds, dense percussion that could be found through 90% of the album, and stylish/very artistic keyboard layouts that you probably wouldn’t find on any other Orbital release. Basically, the most positive aspect here is the musical integrity. It’s definitely significant in every way possible and is very accessible too.

The cleverness is the best thing on this album. As in, you won’t find anything similar here, at all. The melody placements here and the overall formulated structure of the songs are so distinguishable that you won’t need to compare 2-3 different tracks. They all have an entire different sound, mood, and approach to them. Album opener, Forever takes the sound approach to an entire different level, with a beautiful atmosphere that gives the song a more visionary approach, and a vocal snippet dated back from who-knows-when. Crash and Carry has a fascinating melody to it and a foot-stomping percussion outline that makes this song one of the best, and Kein Trink Wasser features a wonderfully upbeat keyboard that gets more intense by the minute. Science Friction is circled around the synthesizer, and a spooky atmosphere that shifts left and right.

So the point i'm trying to instill is, Snivilisation is one of Orbital’s most consistent albums, next to their ever-so-popular In Sides. It’s extremely crafty, accessible for just about anyone, and a truly admirable effort for the duo. It represents so much from the group, and is outstanding throughout. There’s nothing dissatisfactory here, and is by far one of the most brilliantly thought out electronic albums I’ve ever heard.

Coil Horse RotorvatorCoil The Ape of Naples
Kraftwerk Computer WorldAphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Tiesto In Search of Sunrise 5: Los AngelesBonobo Animal Magic

Wonky

In Sides

Orbital 2

March 26th 2012

A little short ( I know) , but this album is incredible.

pos will check

March 26th 2012

you should, it certainly kicks ass

scissorlocked
March 26th 2012

amazing album, props for reviewing it

Digging: Distance - Outer Limits

March 26th 2012

Thanks, I realize that it's pretty short, but there's only so much you can say about this album.

StrangerofSorts

More electronic reviews?

That makes me very happy.

March 26th 2012

me too :D I've just really been a reviewing mood lately, so that's why I've been doing reviews by the handful

fuck yea reviews m/

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

March 26th 2012

seemingly a lot of people are in the review mood my review got bumped off the page in a few hours flat

StrangerofSorts
March 26th 2012

Yeh there's definitely been a lot more reviewing lately. It's kind of good, in a way, since a lot of us are knocked out of action by revision and all that.

March 26th 2012

well i suppose it is in the best interest of the website to have more reviews coming in. I have a lot of negging to do.

Deviant.
March 26th 2012

In Sides has been classified as their most groundbreaking,

No way man, Orbital 2

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

jkc91

^ YES!!
Although In Sides is a close second, followed by this as their third.

mindleviticus
May 11th 2012

This album is fantastic. Listening to it, did anyone seem to notice that Philosophy in Numbers and Science Friction have the same drum beat?

Chironex
December 14th 2013

This is my favourite Orbital album.

March 14th 2014