Madonna
MDNA

by MonstersInsideMe USER (2 Reviews)
March 25th, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,768 views

Review Summary: Madonna + Cliché Dance Beats + Rehashed Image = Laughable, yet Listenable Attempt

The main two problems I have with this album is that it's trying WAY too hard to sound current, and that somehow makes it already feel dated, and secondly I feel like she's rehashing her "bad girl, religious" imagery through out this album without even thinking about it.

The thing about Madonna is that the name itself conjures up the feeling of a legend, so any bad songs of hers are sometimes justified, when they really shouldn't be. Now it's 2012, and since this album is directed towards "the youth" so to say, they don't think "oh, it's Madonna, therefor it's good." They just think "Who is the old tacky lady trying to sound like lady gaga? Eww this is bad." And, PLEASE, beautiful killer? How many times have the words Beautiful and monster, or killer been put together. Just stop Madonna, it stopped being cute 2007.

The album isn't necessarily bad, and if I don't consider the fact that she's trying to hard, or that it somehow already sound dated, it's an average album. Personally, I love Madonna in the sense of a cultural figure, but as a musician she's ok. I think it's just her voice, i never really get any emotion from it. So the fact that the lyrics are trash, and the music is cliché, it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Another problem with this is that the filler is almost unlistenable to me, like Turn up the radio, Some girls, and Superstar. Ugh.For some reason I actually like give me all your luvin', and Girl Gone Wild, probably because they're the best produced ones.

Overall this album is ok, and I'll probably never listen to it as a whole again. I must commend Madonna for admitting that she "***ed up" when she made this album, but she realized it a little late. I hate to say this, but I find this album kind of reductive.

Highlights:

Superstar
Some Girls
Beautiful Killer

caiocoletti (3.5)
MDNA definitely will get you hooked....

Alex Beebe (3)
Madonna's sound sounds great on MDNA, as for Madonna herself, not so much....

Dylan S. (2.5)
And no one is surprised....

Choi Korie Bextor (3)
Madonna can do much better...

gota check this

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

ConsiderPhlebas
March 25th 2012

The main two problems I have

How many two problems do you have altogether?

March 25th 2012

Why would anyone go out of their way to listen to this?

Digging: Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pikapika Fantajin

MonstersInsideMe
March 25th 2012

The main two problems I have are that it's cliched, and that she's rehashing her image, the other ones aren't as big problems for me.

ThroneOfAgony
March 25th 2012

"The album isn't necessarily bad, and if I don't consider the fact that she's trying to hard, or that it somehow already sound dated, it's an average album."

Reads incredibly choppy

Review is okay, but you should elaborate on a few more topics

Ire

kate rip off

Peripes
March 25th 2012

''too hard to sound current, and that somehow makes it already feel dated''

Maybe because everything on it is so clichéd and unoriginal.

''Turn Up the Radio'' is the only enjoyable song IMO.

Don't care what anyone says, Gang Bang is awesome

March 25th 2012

And this review is painful

AsoTamaki

"Gang Bang" sucks, dude.

"Love Spent", "Masterpiece" and "Falling Free" are fantastic songs and sadly the only three I can see myself listening to a year from now. All of the others are lacking any kind of defining personality which is a failure for a Madonna track. A couple are just plain bad. "Turn Up the Radio" and "Beautiful Killer" are alright too, but there were better versions of those songs on her previous albums.

Overall, better than Hard Candy, but still a disappointment.

March 26th 2012

I mean I am not saying Gang Bang is a quality song but it is my definition of a guilty pleasure for stuff like this. But yeah this album is a very mixed bag, "Love Spent" "Falling Free" are both good songs, and even "Girls Gone Wild" is not as bad as you would expect. But then songs like the horrendous "B Day Song" and "Superstar" really ruin this. Though I still find this more listenable than Hard Candy or something like Femme Fatale

March 26th 2012

I dont know Confessions was pretty decent