Faithless
Reverence

by ThroneOfAgony USER (12 Reviews)
March 20th, 2012 | 37 replies | 3,627 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A masterpiece from one of the greatest electronic groups ever

Anyone that loves electronic music knows that ‘Insomnia’ was nominated for the greatest Dance anthem in 1995. Over the course of more than 10 years, Faithless, the group who designed the 10 minute epic have risen to their fullest, and meaningfully so. The club-banging track has been featured in a wide range of video games, commercials, and movies. ‘Insomnia’ is also one of Faithless’s most preciously made tracks, partly due for the complexity and distinct melody/rhythm changes; and even though the song has its highest moments (the lustrous synthesizer that slides in action halfway), it will entertain just about any electronic music fan, even for people who are the complete opposite and who find the entire song to be an annoyance. But really, this song and Faithless’s amazing debut is both equally prodigious and approachable. And the majority of ‘Reverence’ is just about everything you can ask for in the electronic music world. There are perfectly structured beats, uplifting synthesizer leads, and beautiful vocals sung by both male/female that will invite anyone inside to explore. It’s all just a huge ball of goodies.

With this album, Faithless don’t manage to display one specific genre as opposed to many others. As in, they explore house, downtempo, and even non-cheesy trance to make something completely varied in its own nature. ‘Insomnia’ is an amazing anthem house piece whilst ‘Salva Mae’ is an out-of-this-world trance tune with a heartwarming melody. ‘Don’t Leave’, sung by the female vocalist herself is probably the most emotionally gratifying here. The gentle piano chords are with what give it so much emotion, and of course so do the song meaning. ‘Baseball Cap’ fiddles with the lyrics a bit more instead of the common love theme by repeating ‘baseball cap’ over and over again, and ‘If Loving you is Wrong’ perfectly refers back to the standard cheesy love lyrics.

‘Reverence’ is definitely a mysterious journey that is not only Faithless’s best, but a quintessential album for electronic music. It’s commonly referred to as an unquestionably perfect record and essential for the dancefloor. Faithless are a group above and beyond the ordinary, and ‘Reverence’ perfectly exemplifies this in fashion.

Coil Horse RotorvatorCoil The Ape of Naples
Kraftwerk Computer WorldAphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Tiesto In Search of Sunrise 5: Los AngelesBonobo Animal Magic

The Dance

March 20th 2012

sup throne been a while huh

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

pos

pizzamachine
March 20th 2012

Sweet to see a review for this!

THANKS PIZZA AND CAPTAIN

March 20th 2012

yeah captain it's been a while man, how ya been

March 20th 2012

not bad bro, post your vote for what album I should review next on my thread

just chillin bro, jamming some Abramelin right now

I got two electronic album last night, one from Deviant and the other from Xenophanes, both super awesome, crashed to one of them last night and had trippy dreams

March 20th 2012

dude sick. alright i'll see which m/'s you should review

thanks for posting

yeah bro I'm gonna check this out for sure

March 20th 2012

you should. insomnia is pure gold.

also, inb4 deviant finds something wrong with the review.

^lol

yeah I'll youtube it tonight to get a feel for the album, if it's good I'll def get the full. ill start with that song u rec'd

StrangerofSorts
March 20th 2012

" inb4 deviant finds something wrong with the review"

You'll have to make do with me in the meantime.

I'm a bit surprised this never got a review before, so it's a little disappointing that you never really dived into the depths of the album. I'd like to know a little more about the underlying themes of the album, especially since you describe it as so essential. Making a bit more of why it's so good as compared to any old release would be great, too.

Apart from that it's well written enough, despite a couple of comma-minefields scattered around the place. The second sentence, for instance.

Funeralopolis
March 20th 2012

I bet this isn't a masterpiece.

Digging: CunninLynguists - Oneirology

Activista anti-MTV

sup tarkus

VlacDrac
March 20th 2012

"I bet this isn't a masterpiece."

Actually it's average
It doesn't have many memorable parts.

Deviant.

In b4 Strangerofsorts ;)

Pretty much what I would have said

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

March 20th 2012

who the f neg'd this, this is a good review, there were a couple grammar mistakes but that doesn't warrant a neg, give the guy a break

March 21st 2012

listening to this now, sounds chill bro

pretty groovy riffs in opening track

March 21st 2012

oh wow, didn't know you commented. but yeah bro it's the best. and yeah the opening is one of the best for sure

AllGabrielsAreGlass
May 1st 2012

5 tracks on here are amazing (Reverence, Salva Mea, Insomnia, Dirty Ol' Man and Baseball Cap.) but the rest is just one big long mmmeeehhhh train.

By the looks of things I probably wont be getting any other album from them.

TronaldDump
June 2nd 2012

Insomnia is the greatest song in all electronica.

There I said it.