Lifelover
Pulver

by CrimsonFloyd USER (5 Reviews)
March 20th, 2012 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Until the day you die, you will always be shit.

Lifelover-Pulver

After the nineties, Norwegian Black Metal died down, with the major names drenching their sound in punk, folk, thrash, symphonic metal, or even changing their sound to ambient synth. Many "kvlt" bands started to make copies of the golden age black metal, along with a completely new legion of bands who played Post-Black Metal identical to each other, calling themselves original. Out of this mess of music came a band who didn't care about the current music scene, about being kvlt, about being original, a band who didn't care about life, really: this band is Lifelover.

Their songs written by a man calling himself "B" who always appears masked, they played a fresh new form of Black Metal becoming unintentionally original taking influences from indie, folk, surf rock, ambience, and post-punk. The band has dubbed themselves as "Narcotic Metal." Call them what you will, to me they are simply the most depressing black metal band to have ever existed. The sound is not your typical blast beats and buzzing guitars everywhere with inhuman vocals from e depths of Hell. Rather, it has very controlled, sinister drums with Melancholic guitar chords and pianos, along with very human vocals from "( )" who has one of the most emotional vocals I have ever heard. He sounds like he is in terrible pain, thus making us listeners feel the depression. Lyrically, I have heard that they speak mainly of sex, narcotics and depression however I refuse to research the lyrics as it may spoil the atmosphere, the emotions that the music makes me feel on it's own.

Other than the sound described above, expect some interludes with a child happily singing, ambient guitar passages, samples of cries and gunshots. I am convinced that this album is meant to tell a story considering the number of samples, but it does not matter to me.

The standout track is the album closer, En Sang Om Dig. The first half of the song interchanges surf-rock passages with some very dirty guitar tones with ( )'s amazing vocals soaring over. It then makes a transition to a ambient passage made up of church organs with some spoken words over it, ending with the only English sentence on the album: "Until the day you die, you will always be ***." That sentence pretty much embodies everything Lifelover is about.*

B never tried to be a good person, and he was not very different from his music. He was a depressed individual with no support from his family. In the end, his life was cut short by a narcotic overdose. However I have all I need from Lifelover right here in Pulver.

Funeralopolis
March 20th 2012

This band's music is so unsettling, this needed a review pos.

Digging: Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain...Why Kneel

ThroneOfAgony
March 20th 2012

getting this from the album cover

in

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

March 20th 2012

fucking awesome review bro! Loved reading it. pos hard

March 20th 2012

"I have heard that they speak mainly of sex, narcotics and depression however I refuse to research the lyrics as it may spoil the atmosphere, the emotions that the music makes me feel on it's own."

I know exactly what you mean here.

ApplicationToHeaven
March 20th 2012

i love erotik so i'll probably check this out

SgtPepper
March 20th 2012

Have a pos, man. Good stuff.
Also I love your name, the sign of a real prog-head

least m/ band name EVER

sarcasm. they're full of it

love this, erotik, and konkurs. the last two didn't really do it for me

March 21st 2012

listening to this right now, sounds good so far

North0House2
March 21st 2012

I've always been intrigued by these guys, good review. I almost played their music in my geography class because I needed a Swedish BM band... They're Swedish, right?

Anyway, awesome review, gonna give "En Sang Om Dig" a listen, promptly.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

Spec
March 21st 2012

great album cover for a black metal band

@North

Yeah from Swed, but they split up is '11

CrimsonFloyd
March 21st 2012

Thanks everyone. Nice to know I successfully spread the good word.

Hawks
March 21st 2012

Pretty good review. Reminded me to finally listen to this. I've been meaning to for a few years now, just kept forgetting about it.

People who like this album should definitely check out Silencer and Circle of Ouroborus.

fucking DUH

"but srs least m/ band name EVER"
oh, was this an attempt at sarcasm? sure it was

March 21st 2012

what then, sarcasm can't be m/?

March 21st 2012

but it's so warm in here

oh dear, it's tightening

March 23rd 2012

swrong papa

MetalMan79
June 5th 2012

have a pos man, I have to get this