Unsane
Wreck

by Martin L. USER (44 Reviews)
March 20th, 2012 | 33 replies | 7,335 views

Review Summary: Unsane deliver a vehement blast from the past

It’s without hesitation that I say the early 1990’s are my favorite epoch of music. Even without experiencing it firsthand, the audaciousness of emotive slash gritty rock concoction is too much to resist when performed with such exuberance by acts like Unwound, Sonic Youth, The Jesus Lizard, among a myriad of others. Unsane, with their no holds barred brand of noise rock, was an aggressive indictment of everything soft, smooth, and clean fit well within this niche and even helped to define it to some extent. Wreck proves that they still are, as well.

The fact that Unsane was such a juggernaut throughout the nineties only makes the fact that they’re alive and kicking (violently, mind you) today all the more impressive. Furthermore, Wreck doesn’t just evoke or rekindle the vicious post-hardcore-cum-noise style, but it brings it back to life and implements it in a way that makes Unsane just as relevant today as they used to be. The beauty of Wreck is the convincingness of every element, most notably Chris Spencer’s yells and snarls which are most vehement on highlights like the muffled “Pigeon” or the dicey “Decay.”

While not as cacophonous and claustrophobically crushing as 2005’s Blood Run, the band’s latest flows without hinderance while remaining as vicious as always. Tracks like “No Chance” and “Roach” are minor slip-ups as Unsane seem to be running low on energy; but the thick bass and pounding drums manage to keep Wreck moving throughout, reaching an apex on the insane “Don’t” with its rash blend of distortion and howls. It’s far from harmonious, yet very satisfying. Additionally, the closing cover of Flipper’s “Ha Ha Ha,” couldn’t be more fitting; it serves as both a callback and a relevant piece of the album, melding the two eras together with ease.

It’s especially convenient that Unsane decided to deliver a record at this point in time, with noise revivalists gaining more and more exposure by the month. Torchbearers of the genre like The Men, Iceage, Pissed Jeans, and Drunkdriver have all put rather interesting spins on the sound that Unsane helped to pioneer, but none have topped records like the monumental one adorned with a victim run over by a train. Wreck, with its unrelenting dynamism and sheer intensity, is a reminder as to why Unsane and company have torchbearers in the first place. Wreck won’t be the record that defines Unsane -and it shouldn’t, especially considering their self-titled- but it is a record that adds yet another notch to the still-illustrious belt of noise rock’s reliable workhorse.

Aidan Baker Already DrowningPity Sex Feast of Love
NoMeansNo WrongHuata/Bitcho Split
The Men New MoonGiles Corey Hinterkaifeck
Joseph Viney STAFF (3.5)
Unsane in the membrane...

porch

good review

i kinda got more out of the couple of times i saw them live than i do listening to anything after the
early period. later stuff is all the same shit

accompliceofmydeath
March 20th 2012

Sounds like this is worth getting.

Digging: Crowbar - Crowbar

March 20th 2012

Never heard of these guys.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

pos

carouse
March 20th 2012

This is definitely worth hearing guys, I think. Thanks for reading though.

March 20th 2012

Good review. No Chance is my favorite track on here though and Decay isn't an opener.

These guys are awesome. One of the best noise rock bands ever. Iconic.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Hyperion1001
March 20th 2012

strong contender for worst band name ever

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

lol shark sandwich

Urinetrouble

4.5/5

Should I review this or no?

do it

Ire

ya

Ire

this album wrecks hur

Wizard
March 20th 2012

Good to see this band get some recognition. Review is perfect.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

March 20th 2012

I'm actually surprised it isn't more popular on here.

Colliiiin
March 20th 2012

Awesome, awesome album, it's great to see them over 2 decades later still putting out solid records.

Digging: Majority Rule - Interview With David Frost

Goatlord

I'm glad Unsane exists.

SteelErectedb4you8er
March 21st 2012

Good review, and they just keep them coming. Make sure to check the dates because they are touring with The Melvins in April. The bass player in my band is huge on these guys and got me hooked on them. For the longest time I only knew the song with video of skateboarders getting injured, "Scrape," I think?

March 21st 2012

Yeah. I confirm. Scrape. Awesome video!

chambered69
March 21st 2012

you have good taste martin i'll check this out good review

snewso
March 25th 2012

Haven't listened to this group a bunch but the first couple tracks i listened to (no chance & ha ha ha) were pretty killer.

I'd love to make the 3 hour drive and see them with the melvins but haven't worked it out yet.