The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation
Egor

by Elijah Andrew STAFF
March 20th, 2012 | 75 replies

Review Summary: A dark, but ultimately beautiful record that sees The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation expand their sound, whilst retaining the same haunting presence as before.

The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation is a strange entity, straggling the line between a true musical vehicle and a bizarre side-project. An offshoot of the popular Dutch act The Mount Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, TMFDC began as an ambitious experiment to create murky and unwieldy soundtracks to silent films, such as Nosferatu and Metropolis. Yet the alter ego morphed into something else entirely, something more fleshed out and self-aware. Boasting their self-proclaimed "mutant jazz" sound, the band has released several albums filled with dark ambient soundscapes and jazz-lite elements. Until now, however, the band has always felt like a side-project; a mere vessel for the Darkjazz's more experimental leanings. But with its fourth record, Egor, the Doomjazz Corp. has crafted a bold and vivacious record that is as dark and perplexing as it is beautiful and brilliant.

Egor, for all intents and purposes, seems much closer to a Mount Kilimanjaro record than any of its predecessors. Featuring a less drone centered sound, the album draws influences from a wide array of ambient and jazz. It still retains the "free form" aesthetic that has been prevalent in both bands' works, utilizing it to give the album a very organic and spontaneous feel. Strings and brass play a much larger role than before, and the ghostly vocals reappear to give Egor that special eerie sound that the band is known for. Even with the solid instrumental work, the album's strength lies in the stunning atmosphere. A palpable tension hangs in the air at all times, even at the most lulling and comforting of moments. It's nigh indescribable, like a nagging thought in the back of one's mind. This energy permeates the record, managing to be more affecting than most records could ever hope to be.

The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation have always dabbled in the mysterious and phantasmagorical, but Egor is easily their most accessible and bold recording to date. At many points within the album's four extended tracks, it almost appears that there is a bit of structure rearing its head. Bopping trumpets and somber violins maddeningly dance with one another against the timbre's background, but it feels much more planned than ever before. This may come as a disappointment to those who've fallen for the uncompromisingly unhinged nature of the band's older material, but rest assured, Egor is beautifully composed. Darkness swirls and roils at all the right moments to create the perfect tension, only to explode in a cathartic release of wild jazz and noise. Segments like these appear fairly often during the album's near 70-minute run time, giving listeners plenty of moments in which to be completely immersed.

Once more, The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation has crafted an dark-ambient masterpiece fit for even the most jaded of musical adventurers. Within its bleak, formless shell lies a bevy of engaging sounds; an experience unlike almost anything one is likely to hear all year. Abandon all reservations and fall into the nameless and formless void that is Egor.

Imperial Triumphant Abyssal GodsMastery (USA-CA) Valis
Ascension The Dead of the WorldLie in Ruins Towards Divine Death
Laster De Verste Verte Is HierAntemasque Antemasque

Streaming here

Hyperion1001

19429 Comments

oh fuck these guys have a new record out?!?!?!

sweet will get right now pos

Digging: Fluxion - Vibrant Forms II

March 20th 2012

Seriously though it fucking rules.

Hyperion1001

19429 Comments

cant wait to listen anthropomorphic was one of my favs from last year

Activista anti-MTV

yeaaaaaaaa [2]

Imperial
March 20th 2012

Will be listening to ASAP. These guys never disappoint.

March 20th 2012

How long have you had this?

Also, I predict your next review will be the new pg.lost

March 20th 2012

pg. lost are vastly overrated so I tend to not give them the time of day, so this time Dev, I believe your powers have failed.

March 20th 2012

Also this leaked a few days ago I believe, but I've had it since yesterday morn

March 20th 2012

*deletes half-written pg.lost review* ;)

March 20th 2012

I truly didn't even know they were releasing new material.

BUT, I will restore your faith in my obscene predictability and probably write a review for the new Mars Volta lol

March 20th 2012

I don't listen to them either, I just saw the leak pop up somewhere

Downloading this asap

March 20th 2012

Well I hope you all enjoy this. Band never disappoints.

SgtPepper
March 20th 2012

Great review! have a well deserved pos, man.

Imperial

So good...

Samizdat

Ooooooooooooh, I likey-likey this

March 20th 2012

Holy shit, did not realize that this had leaked over a month ago

Where the hell have I been?

March 20th 2012

oh seriously?? I've only had it for a couple of days and thought I was a badass lol.

March 20th 2012

Dosed up on disco biscuits apparently

March 20th 2012

And no andcas, only because your head is occupying far too much room up there yourself