Psycroptic
The Inherited Repression

good

by BroManCaptainGuySirDylan USER (19 Reviews)
March 17th, 2012 | 34 replies | 8,079 views

Review Summary: The Inherited Repetition.

Let’s just get this out of the way shall we? No, this is not another Scepter Of The Ancients. In fact, it’s more close to a second (Ob)servant, although even that had more of an edge than this. The main problem The Inherited Repression faces is the lack of diversity. That's not to say it's a bad record; the instrumentation is solid, even impressive at times, but there’s simply not enough variety. Most of the guitar work sounds homogenous and uninspired, even to the point where the band seem to be rehashing previous efforts. A prime example: the opening riff of ‘The Throne Of Kings’ sounds eerily similar to that of the title track of their last record. As infectious as it is; the similarities are virtually immaculate.

Ever since replacing ex-vocalist Matthew Chalk in 2005, Joel Peppiatt has always been singled out as the weakest member of the band as well as an inferior replacement for Chalky, and despite his improvement from Symbols Of Failure to (Ob)servant, Peppiatt’s vocals seem have taken a step backwards in terms of quality. His low growls may have been better than his wretched attempt at high screaming, but at least the difference between the two was noticeable. Here, not only do his vocals lack feeling, but also variety; only further adding to an already repetitive sounding record.

As previously mentioned, the guitar work is fantastically technical. Hectic and fast paced, there’s no doubt that it gets the job done. The riffs aren’t particularly original sounding but are performed flawlessly thanks to Joe Haley on guitar. The introduction of ‘Deprivation’ is one of the finer guitar moments to be found throughout the album and is where Haley truly shines. The soft guitar picking slowly transitioning into a heavy riff is one of the album’s definite highlights, mostly just because it is, in all likelihood, the most distinctive moment to be found on the whole record. Dave Haley also adds to the technicality of the album with his kit. His frenetic drumming in conjunction with his brother’s guitar work make them an unstoppable force.

Overall, The Inherited Repression is a solid album, albeit lacking a certain edge to make it memorable. The best part of the album also seems to be its biggest downfall as the guitar and drum work is excellent despite the fact that most of the tracks sound similar because of it. That’s not to say that every song is bland; the opener of ‘Carries Of The Plague’ and the aforementioned ‘Deprivation’ are the two most notable songs due to their technicality and ferocity.

I think on their fifth album, Psycroptic prove that they’re a band just going through the motions. Then again, perhaps I’ve been too harsh? I wouldn’t argue against The Inherited Repression being the band’s weakest effort to date but it is still worth checking out, especially if you’re already a fan of the band or the genre. Just don’t go into it expecting a whole lot of creativity.

MGMT MGMTCode Orange Love Is Love // Return To Dust
The Amity Affliction Chasing GhostsThe Faceless Autotheism
Will Haven Voir DireWitch Blood Wounderom

March 17th 2012

Phew, first review in a while. Feedback would be awesome. Cheers.

Digging: Braid - No Coast

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Good review but I'd refrain from getting too informal, for example when you say:

No, it’s not a bad record.

I'd say something like: That's not to say this is a bad record, but ...

Have a pos.

March 17th 2012

I thought that sounded a bit out of place but couldn't think of how to fix it. You're brilliant, thanks so much! I'll edit that now.

Shuyin
March 17th 2012

agree with this, album was ok

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

March 17th 2012

Some really spidery riffs on this, but yeah nothing that great.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Tyrael

20740 Comments

wow bloc how can you rate this lower than the new I See Stars album

I am fucking disappointed in you

Yazz_Flute
March 17th 2012

I didn't realize this didn't have a review already.

Yeah, it read pretty colloquially but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

March 17th 2012

excellent review, agree with rating

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

jayfatha

^^^

Auschwitz
March 17th 2012

riffs are good, drumming is good, vocals are annoying. still worth listening to.

macadoolahicky

Sweet review.

Cannot say this did all that much for me either, especially in comparison to the band's previous works.

March 17th 2012

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Vooligan
March 17th 2012

Summary pretty much nailed how i feel about it. Its good, but nothing they haven't already done.

glezz
March 18th 2012

This release is absolutely primo Tech-Death. Top notch. Disregard the dorks above this post.

Or better yet, maybe some above will actually listen to the fricking album.

Vooligan
March 19th 2012

No one was saying it was bad, man. Its a great record, but just doesn't try anything new, which is a little disappointing.

ZedO
March 19th 2012

awesome review for awesome album, you did it well, dude....

Thanks man! That means a lot! :D

bloozclooz
March 19th 2012

although i agree with what you said, the rating is harsh as fuck. psycroptic as always been about "dem riffs", and in the department they deliver. the vocals are a ton better on this album as well.

the intro to "scribe to ashes" gives me a boner every time

ZedO
March 29th 2012

Thanks man! That means a lot!

i do disagree with you 3 rate, but i understand your point of view toward this stuff....

April 4th 2012

Well, being the sole purpose of writing a review, I guess that means I'm obviously doing something right. Cheers dude! :D