Wavves
Wavves

2.0
poor

by DrEpic4181 USER (12 Reviews)
March 15th, 2012 | 13 replies | 3,742 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You know the thing about Wavves?

They suck.

Dear god, I understand the appreciation and love for music and art that is different, but I have no love for headaches. It seems as though Wavves is a child, and their only method of winning your attention is by screaming at you and punching you in the balls.

You see, Wavves can play two kinds of music on this album – slow and annoying, and fast and annoying. Whereas crappy bands like the Beatles and Genesis and The Strokes rely on melodies, Wavves rely on screaming into a distorted microphone just to sound different.

And different is good. If more bands tried to be different, some would be awesome. But while listening to this album, through the blaring noise I almost could conjure up a thought. That thought, quite simply, was - “What would this band sound like with no effects, playing songs in a garage”? I bet if that actually happened, the music would be alright, or at least different. Wavves has talent, to be sure. There are some interesting studio tricks and guitar licks here or there, but as an album, Wavves completely fails.

The band is creative, sure. The Lo-fi thing works. I get it. But holy horseshoe, Batman, could they just turn down the distortion a little bit? Oh wait, no no NO, dont do that, because I don't want to hear the lyrics. They sound like the kid in middle school. You know the one. The kid with the Linkin Park t-Shirt that wrote poetry about he's the only one that gets life and people don't understand him. The kid that people like us beat up with sockem boppers filled with bricks and left for dead in a graveyard buried alive. Now that we all remember how we spent our sixth grade summers, let us abscond back to the music.

Oh wait, this is music. I came so close to forgetting. As I type this, the music plays “softly” in the background. Sounds less like music to me, and more like a rejected soundtrack to Poltergeist: The musical.

It's confoundingly ironic that the only 2 songs that I find interesting seem to be the ones written intended for normal people. The intro, “Intro Goth” is a minute long intro without crazy effects or guitars being thrown into kiddie pools. The second song is also somewhat tolerable, and even bordering on alright.

The rest of the album is inexcusably obnoxious, vying for your attention with crazy sounds and unintelligible words, missing the point entirely. Someone needs to tell these guys that being different doesn't make you legendary – being good does.