Xerxes
Our Home Is A Deathbed

by Martin L. USER (44 Reviews)
March 14th, 2012 | 37 replies | 5,574 views

Review Summary: Not the best, but just what we needed

The most notable aspects regarding Xerxes’ second LP can be seen in reference to other bands like Pianos Become The Teeth or Touche Amore, and this highlights both the best and worst facets of 2012’s Our Home Is A Deathbed. Coincidentally enough, Xerxes home really is a death bed, in that they very mindfully inhabit space left for them in that combination-of-hardcore-and-screamo-with-just-enough-melody sound popularized by the previously-mentioned acts. Problem is- there’s not a whole lot of space for them, here. Did we really need another band with song titles like “Our Home Is A Death Bed” who strive to perfect the perfect start-stop + screeching screams + chaotic instrumentation formula? Well, not particularly; but let’s give Xerxes credit for pulling off the feat with some style and dexterity.

The main strength of the record is the dynamic songwriting and lively pacing. Our Home builds just enough momentum before slowing to a more minimalist atmosphere, then minutes later the fire-breathing rasps of the singer return with gusto. Recognizable, right? It’s a listen not nearly as demanding as last year’s Ampere release, for instance (though “February,” among a few others, does show off the band’s more energetic chops); yet, the pacing feels much more sincere than Wave-darlings Defeater and their recent pussy balladry. Our Home feels relatively fresh, overall. This is discounting, though, the album’s obvious, hackneyed surroundings in terms of album and song titles as well as artwork (I tried to narrow it down to one example, but alas...). Thankfully, this doesn’t reflect the quality of the lyrics, as one would rightfully expect, that manage to impart a level of sincerity and significance.

Another pinnacle of Xerxes’ success is in the completeness achieved through more subtle effects like the textures and production, most notable on tracks like “Suburban Asphalt” that slowly linger like billowing, smoke after a roaring campfire flame is doused. As I’m sure you’ve noticed though, nary a few sentences pass throughout this review without a name of another band grazing by. The fact that Our Home is so inviting and simplistic in its approach leads to it being easily compared to as-adept peers in the scene. Xerxes lies somewhere in the median - I’d love to say this as an unencumbered positive reaction, but take that as you will.

So besides the moments when the melodrama gets to be a bit much, like on “Sleepwalking With You,” Xerxes have written an album bursting not only with interesting songwriting to counter the uninteresting song titles, but with a fresh sense of sincerity. It won’t change any minds about The Wave (or whatever), but Our House is a straightforward and engaging listen that provides much-needed invigoration to a sound that was quickly deteriorating.

Aidan Baker Already DrowningPity Sex Feast of Love
NoMeansNo WrongHuata/Bitcho Split
The Men New MoonGiles Corey Hinterkaifeck

March 14th 2012

I mention a lot of negatives in the review, but this is a very enjoyable listen, even though sometimes I suspect I give it a little too much credit. I haven't had it for long though, we'll see if I like it more down the road.

Xenophanes
March 14th 2012

Really glad this got a review. Very nice write up.

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

good rev bro, you deserve that 100%

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

March 14th 2012

Thanks both, and glad you agree Xenophanes.
CaptainDooRight I've read some of your reviews too, I think we have similar taste in metal.

March 14th 2012

awesome thanks for checking out my rev's bro

pos'd as well

name 5 metal albums that we fully agree on, go:...

March 14th 2012

Well I just remember you from your Addaura and Rhinocervs reviews which is why your name stood out, and then scanning your ratings I'm also a big fan of Corrupted, Paysage d'Hiver, and Warning (not that these are uncommon opinions really, but still).

March 14th 2012

awesome bro we are soul mates

fuck yea

Corrupted, Paysage d'Hiver, and Warning are some of the best bands in existence[although Warning is no longer a band but yeah]

cvlts
March 14th 2012

pretty well written review bro

i have this floatin around but have heard some meh things about it. but i'll check it out now.

pos'd

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

Xenophanes
March 14th 2012

it's probably too hxc for you dante

taxidermist

It's pretty sweet.

joplinpicasso
March 14th 2012

Exactly my sentiments - you know the scene well, and review the material as such.

March 14th 2012

Thanks guys! Also, that Men record is fantastic.

Hep Kat

stopped reading at pianos

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

Me too.

sixthgoldenticket
March 19th 2012

sounds like what touche amore's always been trying to pull off.

henryChinaski
March 20th 2012

Suburban Asphalt f*ckin rules!

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

March 20th 2012

That's definitely one of my favorite tracks, so I agree.

Tikicobra
March 21st 2012

Tide/This Place As a Prison is so good.

jimmyarmpit
May 10th 2012

This is a solid release for the genre, but it doesnt feel like it freshens up the genre the way citycop or brother bear did for me last year.

ShitsofRain
May 30th 2012

i wish those last 25 seconds of this record would never end...

Digging: Ground Zero - Revolutionary Pekinese Opera, Ver. 1.28