Holy Molar
The Whole Tooth And Nothing But The Tooth

good

by Jawaharal USER (33 Reviews)
January 18th, 2006 | 7 replies | 3,842 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

I'm still wondering as to why Holy Molar made this album sound like it was recorded in a jail. At the beginning or end of each song samples of prisoners rioting, jail guards yelling people to pull their pants up, and Holy Molar screaming "ITS GONNA BE A JAILBREAK TONITEEEEE" are played. This is no concept album, no lyrical themes I can decipher, or anything remotely related to a jail. I guess itís for some small humor value because I guess metal heads enjoy these kind of lame jokes.

I guess there in the music because Holy Molar is just one of those bands you don't take seriously, and in a good way. It's fun loud and heavy music. Being a side project of The Locust, you can tell where their lunacy is coming from. Using the similar synths and keyboards found in locust songs, Holy Molar creates a spazzy, grindish mix of metal very similar to The Locust.

The synths are possibly Holy Molar's strongest attribute. Sometimes creating dancy tunes like Dungeons And Drag Queens 2. Drip! Drip! Drip! makes good use of keyboards to create an eerie, somewhat ambient mix. But for the most part the synths try to stick to the grind sound the band is trying to achieve. Usually the synths are buzzing and thrashy and bear resemblance to Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy. Sometimes they even seem funky like in Deep Thought Eject Button

Even with the unique inclusion of keyboards in their music, Holy Molar don't exactly fuel themselves on originality. For all I can tell, it sounds like the vocalist screams the same things each song and the guitar blasts for the most part are similar. Though variety is not necessarily required to make music, it makes it all the more enjoyable. But Holy Molar know how to nail the spazzy/grind sound and make every minute of it listenable (even though there aren't many minutes at all). From the gagging vocals on One Minute And Thirty-Six to the weird timings on Sunburnt Tounge Holy Molar show that they know how spazzy music should be done: loud, fast, and crazy.

Clocking in at 26 minutes, their isn't a ton of music to enjoy. Even with their excellent musicianship the lack of variety makes it a tiring listen. A little too much of a good thing can be a bad thing and like the prison samples, Holy Molar is a joke that gets old.

AFX Hangable Auto BulbDead Cow Company EP
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly Get Cape, Wear Cape, FlyCerberus Shoal Homb
Various Artists Children Of NuggetsCombatwoundedveteran I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos

Cavity Search

Coup__D_Etat
January 18th 2006

I'm prety partial to Holy Molar. Sunburnt Tongue is probably one of my favourite tracks on here, as are the last three Dungeons & Dragqueens tracks. But yeah, I don't really get the jail joke either.
The tooth cleaning at the end of the last song though.. talk about a waste of 5 mins.

Arrakakaka
January 18th 2006

Holy Molar! Yeah! I got this off of Pete last month.
Superb review as well.

Dancin' Man
January 19th 2006

This is a fun album/band. I like it. You kids and you're crazy stealing.

GenoahProject
September 5th 2006

Nice review. Holy molar is fun to listen to, and nothing more. Locust needs to quit with the f'in side projects. Maybe then we could get an album over 20 minutes.

LifeInABox
July 2nd 2007

Who cares? Plague Soundscapes is a friggin classic and it's only 21 minutes. Quality, not quantity.

Neoteric
February 14th 2008

this shit rules.

TheGreatGrandGeneral
February 26th 2012

This album is garbage, and i love it.