Linkin Park
Meteora

by TheZehan USER (9 Reviews)
March 8th, 2012 | 62 replies | 4,516 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Linkin Park manages to stay fresh, maintain their old fans, and gain new ones all at the same time

There is no doubt; Hybrid Theory was as groundbreaking as everyone says. When expectations are set so high by a band so quickly, you’re usually set up for disappointment. There are many examples of this (Evanescence's transfer from their rock-influenced sound of Fallen to the mellow beauty of The Open Door, for example) and most people would throw Linkin Park's second project Metora in this category of sophomore slumps. I, however believe this album is a more complete listen than Hybrid (as good as it was), and Metora focused on the positive points of Hybrid and added better lyrics and some gutsy ideas that worked beautifully.

The lyrics on Hybrid Theory weren't bad by any definition, but they are more mature in this album. You can easily tell that when listening to tracks like "Somewhere I Belong" and "Easier To Run". Both these tracks have motivational lyrics hidden behind the sorrow of past mistakes. They are easy to relate to and both make for great listens (if you like the softer side of Linkin Park). The instrumentals are less impressive in both of the tracks, but more complex beats, guitars, or piano parts would take away from the meaningful lyrics (which are the obvious focal points of these tracks). "Nobody's Listening" is another highlight where Mike shows off his fantastic rapping ability (like he does in older tracks "Step Up" and "High Voltage"). This is a hip hop influenced track before rock influenced. The beat is one of the catchier ones I've hear LP come up with, and the chorus involves chester enough, but not too much (like other tracks can do); LP does start toward their current state on this record where Chester is he frontman and Mike is just an accessory.

Most of the other songs, excluding "Hit The Floor" (Easily the worst track on the record) and "From The Inside" (Never could get that into this song), are good listens. "Firgure.09" is a song old Linkin Park fans might recognize as "Part of Me" from the original Hybrid Theory Demo. It was my favorite track from the demo and the newer version is my favorite off this one. The screaming bridge is easily my favorite part with Chester screaming while Mike raps behind him. "Faint" and "Lying From You" are both live favorites with "Faint's" fantastic bridge and catchy string beat became iconic memories from this album. "Session" is one of my favorites (also making a reappearance from the demo) with it's catchy drum machine line at the beginning which transitions to great synthesized scratches and an altered version of the original beat. "Don't Stay" is another heavy tracks with a great beat and the live drums stand out to me for some reason (even though it's a simple beat). The guitars also make a bigger impression of this song and add to the angry feel of the song. "Numb" is the big radio hit off the record and is easily recognizable by anyone who turns a radio on. It really isn't a standout track if you were into the heavier tracks that made Hybrid famous (instead of just listening to "In The End" and "Pushing Me Away" on repeat), even though I love Mike's small part in the song ("Caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow"). Love it, and "Breaking The Habit" won't turn many heads either, but I enjoy the mostly electronic beat and it mixes with Chester's clean vocals well.

I understand why people don't really enjoy this album compared to their debut, but this album manages to go mainstream while keeping the elements people enjoyed off the original. At least there is still Mike rapping on this album and guitars present (listen to A Thousand Sun to understand LP's further sound changes). When anyone asks me about LP, I make sure I show him or her this album as much as I show him or her Hybrid.

Bulletproof Messenger The Crucial LineSince October This is My Heart
Nine Lashes World We ViewWe As Human Burning Satellites
Jars Of Clay Jars Of Clay12 Stones Potter's Field

Aphrodisiac
March 7th 2012

fuck you for reviewing an album i like
satan is pleased with your work and is donating a pos

March 7th 2012

This is a repost from my old profile (as will the next two just so I don't have to keep typing this). Please leave positive/negative feedback and I want constructive criticism. Help me get better. Oh and this isn't my last review, my Jars of Clay one is, so hopefully I've improved since this one.

March 7th 2012

Thanks, glad to hear something positive from you for once.

DrEpic4181

album sucks, like all linkin park

I need to find this CD

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back from the Discomfort

AsoTamaki
March 7th 2012

Uh, what? Those are two completely different songs, man. Lol.

MO
March 7th 2012

"album sucks, like all linkin park"

hey now first 2 albums were decent

DrEpic4181

obv, we disagree.

March 7th 2012

Aso, my bad. I was told by friends it was the same track, so I never got it. I just believed them and bought the other tracks. I always heard it was a demo for figure.09

iFghtffyrdmns
March 7th 2012

why so many reviews for this lately

March 7th 2012

It is the same review reposted

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Controlled Breathing

TheSpirit

nice dig funeral

Digging: Emarosa - Versus

album sucks, like all linkin park

They're not THAT bad , even disapointing LP's like MTM and ATS have some good songs ,the problems with them are that they begun to make music that didn't show their strong points like the 2 previous albums and the fact that they couldn't remove their label as a nu metal band .

March 7th 2012

minutes to midnight has some good tracks but has also some deplorable tracks.

March 7th 2012

What I've Done, Shadow Of The Day, Leave out all the rest, and the little things give you away are all pretty good the rest is lolbad.

March 7th 2012

I only own half of Minutes to Midnight and none of 1000 Suns. They completely abandoned their old fans and changed to drastically. (like Falling up did, if your familiar with them).

March 7th 2012

Of that album I enjoyed Given Up ,What I've Done ,No More Sorrow ,The little things you give away and wake , hands held high and shadow of the day have some quality but are boring and the rest is just a pile of bullshit .

March 7th 2012

Never liked Shadow of a day. I also have No more sorrow (wasn't as good as I hoped), Bleed it out (decent, but also disappointing), and Given Up (my personal favorite, even though it still abandoned their sound). The song What I've Done is actually how I found linkin park, I know it sounds stupid, but I was very overprotected as you can probably tell.

March 7th 2012

Give up has vomit inducing lyrics, and hands held high is just a mess.

March 7th 2012

ATS is not that bad either , is just another hit and miss album ,wretches and kings ,when they come for me ,waiting for the end ,blackout and burning in the skies are decent