Tomahawk

by Doctor D. USER (1 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 38 replies | 7,781 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Tomahawk is comprised of:
Mike Patton - Vocals, Effects
Duane Denson - Guitar
Kevin Rutmanis-Bass
John Stainer - Drums

This is the supergroups first album. It is very eclectic, each song sounding unlike the last. Patton's (ex-Faith no More, Mr.Bungle,Fantomas) voice is more than excellent on this album, Rutmanis's (The Cows, The Melvins) basswork is bone shaking,Densons (the Jesus Lizards) guitar riffs are creepy and well thought out. Stainers ( Ex-Helmet) drum work is just great.

Track by Track:
1.Flashback - This is a great intro to the album. Every time I hear the intro to the song, I get a shiver. Pattons whispering turning into a scream is one of the best things I've ever heard. The guitar line is very amusing, as is the basswork. The drum and "clock" ticking break down is plain awesome. One of my favorites on the album, the lyrics push it down the greatness of it, not because they are bad, just a bit disturbing.Still get's a 5/5

2. 101 North - One of the longer songs on the CD, also one of the slower. The bass line is the stand out of the song. It's not complex, it's just in your face. Pattons voice is great, like it is through out the album. But theres just somthing missing from it, I don't know what it is. 4/5

3. Point and Click-Possibly my least favorite song on the album. It goes no where. The only thing that saves it is Pattons crooning. 2/5

4. God Hates a Coward - The best song on the album. Rutmanis does a fine job,Denson is simply great. Stainer lays down a good beat. Patton makes the song. The distorted verses is what makes this song. Just plain beautiful.5/5

5.Pop 1 - I think the song is about how musicians today (Well, mainstream rappers) get acclaimed and win awards for stealing (or sampling) "beats" from other artists, which is why Patton is screaimng "This beat could win me grammy" It's a great song, the fastest rap I've ever heard lays within this song. Sure it may be heavily distorted, but it's fast nonetheless. 5/5

6. Sweet Smell Of Success- Very slow paced. But, this is much MUCH better than "Point and Click" this song is very reminiesant of the slow Faith No More songs. Especially in the chorus. The techno-ish beat in the middle is very interesting, and gives the song depth, especially while Patton croones over it. Good solid song. 4.5/5

7.Sir yes Sir - This is Rutmanis's song. The bassline is quick, heavy and interesting. Pattons rap/whispering during the chorus is hauntingly great. His scream during the chorus is very VERY Patton. The crooning is a very good way to melt into the last verse. 5/5

8. Jockstrap - [b] The intro is very hillbillyish intro. With Patton singing "Jock Strap you rap, G-String, I sing" with a haunting guitar line. Then it kicks into somthing that sounds very heavy with Patton semi-screaming...once again distorted. The heavy part reminds me of "Beautiful People" by Marylin Manson. This is Duanes song, he has very good guitar parts. Possibly the most he has on the album.

9.Cul De Sac- Shortest song on the album, with what seems to be a banjo, vocals, and some keyboard work. It's a very very good track. If it were longer than 1:45 would have gotten a better rating, but too short.3/5

10. Malocchio- The intro always startles me. It's very noisy, and very Jesus Lizard. Then it melts into a errily soft song. With Patton half crooning half talking, untill the chorus. With the bass very much so in your face. The drumming is standard. It's just a good song all around. 4/5

11.Honeymoon- Starts off with what seems like a hellicopter. Then the bass comes in over the helicopter. It fades out and the gentle drumming kicks in. Pattons does a very sleazy-ish voice then some high-pitch singing for the chorus. Very solid slow song. Not perfect, but very good. 4.7/5

12.Laredo - The intro is very Faith No More-ish, Patton sings very softly and high pitched, and an acoustic guitar plays under it all. Then it comes up to a part where all the music becomes one sonic boom of noise as Patton chants "The Cats in the bag, and the bags in the river". Great song 5/5.

13.Narcosis - This track is just a way to finish out the album. Theres no actual singing, it's a good realaxing song, Just by listening to it, you know the album is winding down. Not really going to rate it, because it's not a song per-say.

If I were to vote biased, 5/5. But, non-biased 4/5. Great album though, I recommend it to everyone.

br3ad_man
April 7th 2004

Good review, except I'd change your thread title to say "Tomahawk" instead of (S/T)...abbreviations annoy some people, myself included.

Done and Done my man.

br3ad_man
April 7th 2004

It's not showing up in the thread listings...

April 7th 2004

****, can any MOD change it from "(S/T) to "Tomahawk"?

Badmoon
April 7th 2004

Good review. I also believe we have set a record. We have a Fantomas, Tomahawk, Mr. Bungle, and Faith No More review on the same page. All include Mike Patton.

^^^

Thats very cool.....do I get a medal of some sort?

Theleftside2

Good Review.
I think "Cul De Sac" is probably the weirdest song Tomahawk has done to this point.
My favorite song on this album, by the way, is "Malocchio" (which stands for the evil eye in Latin.)

Oh yeah, Badmoon...all we need is a review of Mike Patton's "solo" stuff...Which by the way if anybody, especially Orb, can review Pranzo Oltranzista for me I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks.

April 8th 2004

I heart this album. My favourite song from it changes a lot, but at the moment it's probably "Laredo" or "God Hates A Coward". Good review.

April 8th 2004

I'm going to start listening to Tomahawk more often. This review helped a good bit. Nice job. :thumb:

Oh yeah.. in the title it now says "Tomakawk" rather than "Tomahawk." Just letting you know.. haha.

OrbDragon
April 9th 2004

Great review, although I disagree on "Point & Click". That's actually my favorite Tomahawk song

I also love the art on the cd itself...I'm pretty sure that's a drawing of the band in western clothing.

April 9th 2004

[QUOTE=Doctor D.]I didn't do it. I had no controll over it. The mod who fixed it did. Funny as hell though. And, thanks to all the positive feedback, I shall review again.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I was just making sure you knew about that.

April 9th 2004

Thanks, but it is really funny.

Tangy zizzle
April 10th 2004

Doctor D., Review Mit Gas and be sure to give it a 5/5.

Theleftside2
April 10th 2004

[QUOTE=Tangy zizzle]Doctor D., Review Mit Gas and be sure to give it a 5/5.[/QUOTE]
I thought OrbDragon had already reviewed Mit Gas?

:confused:

Tangy zizzle
April 10th 2004

Ahh, That is correct. Sorry, My bad.

I just love that record so much.

April 10th 2004

I would if I had it......and Orb didn't already do it.

OrbDragon

Yes I did

Oops...5000th post.

Dancin' Man
May 1st 2005

I love this album. Laredo is probably my favorite song if only for the chorus lyrics.

Med57
November 5th 2005

Very good album. One of the more normal Patton projects, but still far above most modern music.