Burial
Kindred

by Liam Whear USER (7 Reviews)
March 6th, 2012 | 24 replies | 2,536 views

Review Summary: Skrillex is in trouble

Skrillex’ success at the Grammies earlier in February seemed like the nail in the coffin for dubstep and electronic music; this most unsubtle and graceless of musicians, with his wirrs and his wobs, had finally hit the big-time. Thank the heavens for Will Bevan.

Fresh from his collaborations with Massive Attack, Four Tet and Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, Kindred is his second solo EP since 2007’s Untrue, a record that was truly a landmark in minimal electronic music. Much like last year’s Street Halo, Kindred builds on the template Burial set himself with Untrue (and for basically every minimal electronic artist since, be it Mount Kimbie’s relaxing vibes or James Blakes’ isolated emotional atmospherics). However, with two of the three tracks stretching over ten minutes, the ambition has been ramped up tenfold.

‘Kindred’ opens up the EP with the chopped-up beats you’d expect from Burial, but eventually these are overshadowed by the murkiest bassline heard from him yet, before giving way too a mournful vocal sample and haunting ambience that hints more at oncoming dread and tragedy than the desolated cities at night from Burial records of yore.

‘Ashtray Wasp’ is the best of the three tracks, becoming more of a suite with all its false starts, the track evolving with every passing minute. It possesses the most ominous beat Bevan has laid down yet, sounding like the marching feet of a shambling zombie horde. When this clears away, we’re left with more haunting ambience, as the zombies unleash have unleashed their destruction, leaving little in sight.

If Untrue was meant to represent the desolate night-time cityscapes of post-rave urban Britain, Kindred represents its shambling zombified return; menacing, and back with a vengeance. Skrillex, watch out.

Enter Shikari A Flash Flood of ColourMoby Animal Rights
Manic Street Preachers Journal For Plague LoversNine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral
Linkin Park Minutes To MidnightBiffy Clyro Singles: 2001 - 2005
4.2
Deviant STAFF (4.5)
For Burial, the darkness has finally come calling...

LudditeStereo (4.5)
Burial sheds skin and adds muscle...

March 6th 2012

Another quick one I had to drum up for uni

chambered69
March 6th 2012

album killsssss nice review man

ThroneOfAgony

lolwut

clercqie
March 6th 2012

Summary and first paragraph are really unnecessary, if you ask me. I'm getting tired with all the Skrillex bashing in practically every dubstep review...

Digging: Amatorski - From Clay To Figures

clercqie
March 6th 2012

Also, this is not minimal. I'd use "minimalist" instead, to describe the music.
Pretty good review, otherwise.

Tyrannic
March 6th 2012

"Kindred is his second solo EP since 2007’s Untrue"

untrue was an lp

other than that small quibble, it's an alright review. although it doesn't really make much of a point, if you ask me.

March 6th 2012

skrillex is most certainly not in trouble i hear and dance to his wompery every weekend

untrue was an lp

Should have worded that better, I was referring that this is the second EP he has released (the first being Street Halo) since Untrue

March 6th 2012

Note that I didn't say I particularly like listening/dancing to M. Skrillex.

I'm just saying his career is not being jeopardized in any way, shape, or form. And I'm not going to rebel against my friends' party music, so there.

Hep Kat
March 6th 2012

pretty stupid honestly. i rarely neg people but well there it is

Digging: Casanovas In Heat - Belvidere b/w Destiny St.

ThroneOfAgony

lol SHIGTGNAL BDOTSTRSAJKLKLKJKLGJKL;JKLJKLJKLFSADJKLFSDJKL

Why bring up Skrillex?

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

TheVoiceAndTheSnake
March 6th 2012

They're not even in the same realm of music

Deviant.

Terrible review

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

March 6th 2012

Maybe next time you can ramp up your ambitions, tenfold, you loner

twlichty

neg nog

Digging: Lusine - A Certain Distance

boiled custurd

lol

someguest
March 6th 2012

Maybe I'm missing something, but this just sounds like Untrue rehashed. I turn on the first track and hear the same fucking drum loop with sappy samples, only this time the tracks are three times as long. Pass.

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

Deviant.
March 6th 2012

Your uni must be so proud of you