Hypno5e
Acid Mist Tomorrow

by Scott Krasman USER (31 Reviews)
March 6th, 2012 | 54 replies | 5,908 views

Review Summary: An admirably ambitious album that ultimately falls short of its goal.

There is a fine line between being creative and taking things a little too far. Some bands, such as Kayo Dot, have made long careers out of brilliant deviations from the norm. The difference between successful avant-garde bands and failed creations is the ability to stay within the boundaries of coherence. Being unique is a very good thing, especially in a modern-day society that is full of copycats and similar sounds. Newcomers, however, tend to try to be too unique in order to stand out in a crowd of other hopeful bands. Still, there are some up-and-coming groups that are starting to find their own creative niches. The four-piece French group Hypno5e are among the most promising, with their debut album Des Deux l’une Est l’autre garnering a respectable amount of praise from the underground music community. Though their anticipated follow-up Acid Mist Tomorrow doesn’t live up to the hype created by its predecessor, it’s still a solid album that shows a considerable amount of potential for the band going forward.

I liken the music to being a combination of Kayo Dot and Gojira. Though the idea of combining those two styles may sound completely unfocused, Hypno5e do an impressive job of avoiding ridiculously chaotic song structures. The musicianship is excellent and there are moments of sheer brilliance in the nine tracks, such as the ear-splitting introduction to “Story Of The Eye” and the middle section of the title track. Some of the more experimental sections can be slightly off-putting, especially the all-French monologues that are impossible to understand unless the listener is fluent in the language. Thankfully, these do not take away from the rest of the album and only appear in short interludes. The harsh vocals are wonderfully utilized, appearing in the background of the mix so as not to dominate the rest of the music. Unfortunately, the clean vocals are slightly overdone and don’t measure up to the harsh vocals at all. While the production is relatively clear, the bass is almost non-existent and that sometimes makes it a chore to keep up with the transitions.

Some of the moments with the most potential are weakened because of the band’s tendency to drag out certain lesser parts longer than necessary. This issue will likely sort itself out as the members mature and continue to experiment with different ideas. I appreciate the ambitiousness of albums like Acid Mist Tomorrow, as they display a level of creativity that many bands just don’t have. There are just too many sections that don’t end up going anywhere, leaving a lot to be desired at the record’s conclusion. The reason that bands like Kayo Dot are so successful is that the amount of filler is far outweighed by the phenomenal pieces. Hypno5e will hopefully continue to grow and focus on condensing their future material, because they’ve got a lot of promise. It’s just a matter of delivering what they’re capable of producing.

Bobby Barnett Little WoundsWitch of the Waste All Other Voices
Training for Utopia Plastic Soul ImpalementCloudkicker Fade
Right Away, Great Captain! The Church of the Good ThiefTacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster Exegesis

March 5th 2012

pretty cool album

March 5th 2012

sweet troll neg

greg84
March 6th 2012

Good review, but I've got some minor issues.

I totally don't understand the 1st sentence of the 2nd paragraph. It reads awkwardly. Make it clearer.

Also, in the 2nd sentence: can an idea be unfocused? Change it to 'ridiculous' or 'outlandish'.

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

March 30th 2012

This fucking rocks. Love it.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

snewso
April 1st 2012

I like this pretty well. It's weird enough to be good. Heard about this group from The Ocean's facebook feed.

April 17th 2012

Wow, this is sounding fucking sexy and I'm only three tracks in

Digging: The Front Bottoms - The Front Bottoms

It kicks ass.

April 17th 2012

Yeah I finished the album, consistently awesome. Only complaint is that the song writing is pretty....absent... haha

April 17th 2012

What do you mean? You mean it just kind of moves forward without ever really having direction? I noticed that too, but I like it (it grows on you after you listen a few times and learn the music's 'path').

April 17th 2012

Yeah, exactly that. Its the way I write songs too, but when I write the last riff, I'm always like, "Did this song actually go anywhere? Did I just sort of string the song along with no particular direction, or is it just full of logical and suiting transitions?". And definitely once I listen to it a few more times and get an understanding of the song structures itll be better, it was really just a tiny complaint, even nitpicking in the first place.

I was so overwhelmed on first listen, I really hate I have to cram for a bio exam in the morning.

Yazz_Flute
April 17th 2012

I thought this got a lot better as it progressed.

Digging: Eskaton - 4 Visions

April 19th 2012

not as good but still enjoyable

Emim
April 19th 2012

Yeah don't listen to him, it's still really good

Yazz_Flute
May 2nd 2012

This is probably my AOTY so far, even if the band's name is retarded.

yeah it's pretty good, would be a 4 if not for those spoken word parts

Evreaia
May 2nd 2012

"This is probably my AOTY so far, even if the band's name is retarded."

I'm feeling the same. Though the name doesn't really bothers me.

Digging: Dornenreich - Freiheit

snewso
May 4th 2012

this is what those other ambient djent bands such as vildhjarta wish they were.

May 4th 2012

wouldnt call this djent... at all

could be it