Abyssal
Denouement

by Hawks USER (70 Reviews)
March 5th, 2012 | 110 replies | 7,233 views

Review Summary: You need a mind condom for the mind fuck you're about to experience.

If you can, think back to a time when you felt like you were suffocating, choking, graping for air, or anything of the sort. It's a pretty scary feeling. Not being able to breathe and panicking trying to gasp the air in. Now if you can imagine that, you'll know exactly what you're in for when you listen to the debut album, Denouement, by this British blackened death metal band Abyssal.

Honestly, this album gives you absolutely no room to breathe at all. Essentially, this album is just 50 minutes of absolute insanity. Rarely taking any breaks. Think of the chaotic and heavily atmospheric styles of bands such as Portal or Deathspell Omega and you'll basically get the sound Abyssal is going for. There is a difference though, Abyssal seems to focus on making more climactic types of songs. The average of the songs here is around 8 or 9 minutes, so there's plenty of time to fit in exactly what they're trying to do, and to me, it sounds like they're trying to make the listener as afraid as they possibly can. The guitars are extremely downtuned and very ominous sounding. The length also helps them extremely in their transitions throughout each track. One minute will be heavily focused on the riffs and heaviness, and then another will be more focused on the atmosphere and the melody. Yes, there is some melody, but not in a cheesy way. Vocally, there's nothing except for gutturals. I mean, I'm sure everyone reading this probably would've expected that. Not too understandable, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Abyssal are obviously apart of this new breed of death metal bands that aren't as focused on paying homage to classic death metal bands that came before them, but are more focused on atmospherics while still remaining as heavy as a death metal band should be. Bands such as this, Antediluvian, Flourishing, and Impetuous Ritual, as well as the already established and well known Portal, among some others, are certainly bands you're going to want to watch out for if you like this brand of chaotic death metal music.

Xanthochroid Blessed He With BoilsCradle of Filth Midnight in the Labyrinth
Istapp BlekingeAntediluvian Through the Cervix of Hawaah
Marduk Dark EndlessDer Sturmer A Banner Greater than Death
xVision (4)
Mind-blowing throughout the whole record, Denouement sounds extremely depressing and showcases great...

March 4th 2012

Quick little write up for this awesome album. Probably sucks, but whatever, this needs attention.

m/

Yazz_Flute

Sounds linsane.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

March 4th 2012

i didnt dig this too hard but have a pos

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

Crysis
March 4th 2012

Review was ok, extremely vague and broad. Album is immense.

Digging: Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

Thanks Hype. :]

And yeah Crysis, I'm probably gonna edit some shit in tomorrow. I'm baked so I feel too lazy to do it right now. I wrote this last night and I wanted to get it posted.

AngelofDeath
March 4th 2012

Agreed with Hype. Album is kind of whatever. Most of the acts comparable in sound to this band are much, much better.

jayfatha
March 4th 2012

Listening now, first track ruled

March 4th 2012

Most of the acts comparable in sound to this band are much, much better.

Portal is by far my favorite of the bands who play this style. I do think that these guys rule though.

Motiv3
March 4th 2012

this is the aoty so far.

March 4th 2012

I don't think it's my favorite of the year so far. It's definitely up there though.

zaruyache
March 4th 2012

I didn't like the vocals and, if I remember correctly, I thought that the drum (base pedals, specifically) sound didn't fit in with the rest of mixing. Instrumentation was great, though. A lot of nice black metal influence. This is pretty much the only band out of the group that plays this "style" of death metal that I actually enjoy :3

Digging: Paramnesia - Paramnesia

Idnuf
March 4th 2012

Honestly, this album gives you absolutely no room to breathe at all

well im glad you're being honest with us

March 4th 2012

Really? You don't even like Portal?

March 4th 2012

i would probably hesitate to compare this to portal, i dont think they are very similar past the general black/death tag

March 4th 2012

I definitely hear some Portal in there. Mostly though they remind me of a more death metal version of Deathspell Omega. Maybe it's just me.

zaruyache

the drums are programmed

That's what I assumed, but can't they re-program them to sound differently?

Really? You don't even like Portal?

I don't think so? I can kinda dig Mitochondrion, but I absolutely don't understand the hype around Antediluvian. I guess I just don't understand this brand of complex death metal. :-(

March 4th 2012

I forgot about Mitochondrion. They're another really good one. But I don't know, it might just take you some time to get used to.

March 4th 2012

but can't they re-program them to sound differently?

not sure what you mean here, the drums are sequenced in a program with loaded sound bits

ShadowRemains

19437 Comments

definitely not hearing a lot of similarities with portal here at all, aside from a few passages

i actually haven't heard a lot of albums in this style that beat this, honestly. they just combine so many styles so well.

the drums are programmed

they have a drummer named "Striga" on their metallum and facebook page