Genesis
From Genesis to Revelation

2.0
poor

by Matthijs van der Lee USER (219 Reviews)
March 4th, 2012 | 18 replies | 1,968 views

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Slowly wandering towards a purpose.

Before the name Genesis became associated with poppy love songs sung by Phil Collins, it stood for one of the genre-defining progressive bands of the 70’s. And before the band earned that status, they recorded a debut pop album. Collins had nothing to do with it; he would only join the group two years after they made their first recording, as would guitarist Steve Hackett. Genesis initially consisted of vocalist Peter Gabriel, keyboardist Tony Banks, bass player Mike Rutherford and guitarist Anthony Philips, and experienced somewhat of a slow, directionless start before discovering their actual potential.

Fans of pop Genesis are unlikely to have even heard about it, and their progressive followers probably won’t care about From Genesis to Revelation. Fact is, this often unmentioned debut is neither worth knowing nor caring about, and doesn’t fit in with anything else in the remainder of their discography. Producer Jonathan King, who gave the group the opportunity to record their first LP, even after they released two low-charting singles, is also partly to blame for the unimpressive result. His hand in the recording process had the inexperienced band compose songs based on Biblical subjects (clarifying the origin of their name), which he later ‘enhanced’ with orchestral sections, further pushing back their own input.

The eventual result offers little excitement, going through thirteen tracks at a consistently dreary pace. The arrangements here are built on little more than piano/organ and vocals, with some acoustic guitar, and are forgotten all too quickly. There’s some historical value to be found, at least: Banks would of course ensure a leading role as keyboardist in Genesis’ unique progressive brand, while a recognizable but very timid Peter Gabriel gives little indication of the vocal strength and extravagance that would soon make him into a truly unique singer. The band’s musical talents remain mostly hidden below the surface of this forgettable debut, proven no more than a stepping stone for one of the most remarkable forces in progressive rock.

Genesis Mark I:

Genesis Invisible TouchGenesis Genesis
Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke
2.6
sonictheplumber STAFF (2)
The beginning of Genesis isn't a good one....

Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers (2)

March 4th 2012

Let's just see where this goes, took me long enough to finally write something again.

Voivod

Nag is back B-)

pos

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

March 4th 2012

I'm a huge Prog-head but i could never get into Genesis. I like the review, Pos'd.

Thanks Voivod ;)

I'm a huge Prog-head but i could never get into Genesis.

Out of interest, what are your prog favourites then?

JamieTwort

20007 Comments

Welcome back Nag. Great review as usual.

Haven't heard this one and I doubt I'll bother checking it out any time soon.

March 4th 2012

The Mars Volta, Ataxia, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Mastodon and Cynic (Prog-metal), Magma, The Sound Of Animals Fighting,
Orbs, to name a few that I'm into right now.

March 4th 2012

Thanks Jamie, obviously you shouldn't bother with this unless you're really interested in hearing how they started out.

Horrible album name

dannyboy89

11912 Comments

@PaperbackWriter: you don't like Rush?

Nice review Nag.

Ire

pos welcome back

@ dannyboy89
I like "Tom Sawyer" and a few other songs but i wouldnt call myself a Rush fan.

LetoAtreides
March 4th 2012

Great review. I'm a big fan of Gabriel-era Genesis, but what I've heard of this was impossibly bland.

ILJ
March 4th 2012

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this album was "Sooooo.....the Bible?"

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

March 4th 2012

fuck yea great review nag

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

dannyboy89

11912 Comments

@PaperbackWriter: 2112 through Signals are all great IMO. I like most of their records, but those 6 are the essentials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74 from Permanent Waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmIOg33oPo from Moving Pictures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDSfDKJGAo from A Farewell to Kings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZXGjoQTzw from Hemispheres

If you don't like any of these songs, you're probably better off not being a fan of this band.

Jethro42
March 4th 2012

Seems like a discog has just begun. How great it would be. Welcome back to the pen, mate! Funny anecdote about From Genesis to Revelation; When the album came out, some music stores have displayed the cd among the religious releases.
While I disagree with your rating, review is full of win. The lack of band's musical direction, their young age/inexperience and their temporary and overdoer producer who spoiled their tracks (without warning the band) with some dubious string arrangements all together didn't help the sauce. You're also right when you mention that this album doesn’t fit in with anything else in the remainder of their discography, but when you're scratching deeper the surface, you realize that even if it's nowhere near the Genesis sounding, couple of its songs are somewhat enjoyable. This would be a 3.5 for me. The production keeps me away from it for a large part.

March 5th 2012

Thanks everyone.

I don't even regard this as a proper Gabriel-era album. Trespass is where it all really starts.

Without the strings this might be more of a 2.5-3, indeed there are some good songs here but they're mostly ruined by the production. Now that I'm covering Genesis your comments and extended knowledge on the band will be especially valuable Jethro, I'll do my best to keep this discog going.

Tyrael
March 5th 2012

20740 Comments

HOLY SHIT A MATTHIJS VAN DER LEE REVIEW

pos'd so hard I broke my mouse