Nargathrond
Carnal Lust and Wolfen Hunger

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2012 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A successful black metal album without the use of any electrical guitars; mainly thriving from the atmosphere created by symphonics; yet, not succumbing to the pitfalls of typical symphonic black metal

"Carnal Lust and Wolfen" is one of the most bizzare, yet unique black metal albums I've ever come across. These Russians have clearly chosen to do things a bit differently, playing a black metal style without the use of any electric or acoustic guitars. The music stand with only the use of vox, drums, syths/keyboards, and a bass guitar. Replacing electric guitars with keyboards can be a very risky move in the realm of dark metal, but the compositional arrangements are the only thing holding this album from falling apart. Some songs are more black metal oriented such as most of the first half of this album, while the second half tends to focus more on darkened electronical elements whilst still using the full support of the other band member's/elements.

"Moonchild" and the title track are the most metal oriented which use a fair share of darkened melodies, but tempos are usually mid to slow, almost always favoring the slow. These slower tempos allow the layered synth harmonies to marinate; the titled track, being my favorite from this album, has some of most beautiful melodies on earth that carry the emtional atmosphere of the other instruments. Clean pianos then join the scene with merits comparable to a classical virtuoso. These two metal-oriented track are then fused into the rest of the album with an ambient ballad-like intrumental track, which leads into the latter half of the album. This latter half is mainly focused on dark electronic ambience.

The balance of electronics are quite impressive as neither really gets in the way of the other. They somehow find a middle ground, drawing both lovers of black metal and dark ambient. Tracks like "Ixaxar" and "Mael Bennique", although using a plethora of electronics, don't detract from the emotion of previous tracks. While the emotion is still there, the flow of the album is kinda awkard at first but after repeated listens can yield desirable results. A stronger use of alternating tempos could make certain more appealing and enjoyable, making a bit stagnance the main downfall for this album.

For a release that came out in 2000, Nargathrond were doing something unique in the black metal community. They were not dependant on following a line of decendants, rather they created fresh material which can be highly enjoyable, but at the same time they left many gaps and holes within their albums that left listeners craving more of their greatest attributes. Thankfully they put a really hot mystic chick on the cover waiting for my throbbing chode, therefore drawing my attention evermore.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

March 2nd 2012

I'm still hard from staring at that cover

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

wowz you're on a roll

March 2nd 2012

Title track and my fav song off this, must check!!:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRDJOw0i1Jc

March 2nd 2012

yeah for sure pizza, thanks for stopping in, are you gonna check this, it's right up your alley due to the use of electronics but not overdone

Alright, I'll check it out. :]

that's doin a deed bro

March 2nd 2012

Hrm, I can't see this growing on me like Burning for the Ancient did, but I do like how silly this is. : )

March 2nd 2012

haha makes me laugh a little but there's some interesting things here

Awesome! I didn't know BFTA grew on you. That's music to my ears.

March 2nd 2012

It's music to my ears too hehheh

March 2nd 2012

I'm kinda curious if sput will like this more than me or less.

March 2nd 2012

who would that be? not sure if I've heard of him..

March 2nd 2012

This sounds really interesting.

March 2nd 2012

"oh...it came to me. botanist. it needs a review...it's pretty wild

can't decide if i liked it i was too wtf"

Looks interesting, if your not gonna rev it i'll do it if it's 3.5 or above

@hawks - yeah bro check it. it's not gonna knock your socks off but you will prolly wanna masturbate a little bit of rattlesnake to it

March 2nd 2012

Hahaha I will definitely download it a little later. Not gonna do it now because I'm waiting on my friend to go blaze. I don't wanna get halfway through it then have to stop.

March 2nd 2012

"I don't wanna get halfway through it then have to stop."

yeah same for masturbating too

bro blaaaaaaaaaaaze it hard

March 2nd 2012

I'm already blitzed out of my mind, but I'm still gonna smoke more.

discombobulation owns hard

March 2nd 2012

cool will do, sounds cool, i always get boners when I have a new album to check that looks decent