Serosia
The Vehicle

by Wunderbar007 USER (16 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2012 | 9 replies | 1,452 views

Review Summary: Serosia remains determined to provide quality over quantity to its faithful, albeit limited audience.

With its third record finally released to the public, Serosia remains determined to provide quality over quantity to its faithful, albeit limited audience. Complete with only three tracks of average length, the band doesn’t stray far from its comfort zone. Instead, Serosia aims to impress with performance and polish which, by the way, has just scored them a producer, Cristian Machado of Ill Nino, for their fourth record. Whether this is a blessing or a curse is still to be seen, but I imagine the acknowledgement alone put smiles on many faces. Fortunately, The Vehicle EP did the same.

As brief as the first play through was, I was eager to hear each song all over again. The vocalist in particular has this fantastic quality present in many of their previous tracks and thankfully reappearing here. These brief flares of energy, where Lucas d’Agata shifts gears and rapidly shouts before regaining equilibrium, provide the necessary hooks to keep you engaged. Sadly, the rest of the band doesn’t really attempt anything extraordinary like in “Perspective and Balance”. The soundtrack provided is heavy enough to preserve their alternative metal label but seems to lack any sort of experimentation that drew me to the band initially. Still, where the former holds true for the first two tracks, the third, Eleventh Dimension, does attempt to be different both vocally and instrumentally. Slightly slower and softer, but nowhere near enough to be called a ballad, the closing track provides a much more melodic experience than what fans may be used to. Singing takes precedence over shouting, notably near the end of the track, which happily brings to mind Index Case and makes this the standout track.

As a returning fan, I definitely imagine their first full record to be filled with tracks similar to Criminal and Rainstorm with some progressive breaks like Eleventh Dimension in between, though I wish for the opposite. I can’t help but feel that this record was stripped of some of the originality which made “Perspective and Balance” so distinct. Nevertheless, what we are left with is still miles ahead of what the majority within the genre are churning out right now. If you’re looking for some style and substance in your music, wrapped in a heavy package, then Serosia is not to be missed.

Farenheit DisconnectedSinew The Beauty of Contrast
Serosia The Current State of BeingSemtex Arise: Breathe: Nothing?
Haloscript Ghosts and Good IntentionsDeligma Forever Faded

March 2nd 2012

Giving them a listen will cost you nothing. Check them and their new tracks out here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/serosiaband/app_178091127385

silentstar

1902 Comments

Reminds me a bit of a heavier Sinew

March 2nd 2012

Now that you mention it, yea a bit

1963 Comments

Nice review man, sounds kinda interesting

March 2nd 2012

Thank you man! I really like them. Give "Perspective and Balance" a listen if you can, it's their best work so far in my opinion.

1963 Comments

cool will put it on my to-do list....hows the list i gave ya goin?

March 3rd 2012

It was a great list, thank you again for that! I enjoyed some songs from a lot of those bands and many I've actually listened to before. I really enjoyed the Butterfly Effect and Hurt in particular. I'll need a little more time with the rest to get into them.

March 4th 2012

1963 Comments

no worries man just keen to see what ya like/dislike outta that lot good to hear

March 4th 2012

Cool. Let me know what you think about these guys if you have a chance to listen to them