Addaura
Burning for the Ancient

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 27th, 2012 | 124 replies | 9,531 views

Review Summary: My hands keep stretching, reaching for the skies, hoping that one day I will obtain my goal.

When your whole being is consumed by a task/goal at hand, focus is of greatest eminence. Everything you do, whether it be eating, thinking, or breathing, are sacrificed and dedicated to this destination at hand. To the surrounding world such allegiances can be awe-inspiring. "Burning for the Ancient" relates in a similar fashion to such pursuing doctrines. When a swimmer is striving to smash a time or even the world record for long distance, audiences can't help in noticing the skill level and grace required for such a feat. Although everyone knows the swimmer is going to continue with the same strokes and underwater kicks, raising and lowering their head during each breath, redundancy does not deter from the enjoyment. Addaura is likened to such spectacles.

Addaura is mostly known as a Cascadian Black Metal band which is basically a scene of black metal artist' emerging out of the Pacific Northwest region of North America; such as Wolves in the Throne Room. They play a type of atmospheric black metal with longer than typical song lengths. The Ep "BFTA" averages at about 13 minutes per song with 4 tracks. This overall Ep length of 52 minutes is almost unheard in the world of Ep's, giving "BFTA" more than enough time to show it's listeners what it's capable of. With so much time dedicated to an Ep, fans of Addaura should expect a full length very soon.

Not only does "BFTA" draw emotions of facsination from its listeners, the nature of such lengthy songs allow the audience to zone out and become encapsulated by it's unforced but forward pressing characteristics. It's as if you've become the swimmer embarking on this journey of life and freedom, challenging your own wits to self glorification. Before the quest is undertaken the right mindset must be obtained; knowing that a tedious excursion awaits you. The soft acoustic interlude of "City Light[In Still Dark Forenoon Silence]" seperates your mind from the world around you. The building tom tom patterns prepare you for the dive into the ocean. As you take your plunge you know there is no turning back. You know from this piont you have done everything in your power to prepare for the hurt and pain you will feel as you as you slowly reach your azimuth. When the drums come in with medolic pushing tremolos you know it's you against the elements; the freezing water, the shark infested waters, fatigue, and doubt. This is what you've come for, this is what makes you feel alive, this is why you do it. I will not give up, I WILL keep striving.

"The Muses Thro' Their Bowers" represents the possible breaking point with full steam ahead blast beast that only let up for seconds until resolve is once again obtained for furtherance. The long hull of mid-high tempos are a play on emotions; contemplations that carry you through till the end. The neverending swaying melodies represent the waves of resistance, yet the motivating factors behind your endeavors; they are constant, yet vary depending on swell push which occasionally changes tide. "Solace Beneath a Greying Sky" is found as you near the end of this journey. You know you can obtain it. The mellow ambient pianos scream in your mind "This is it!". Second wind is achieved and press you once more for the finale. Being the most gratifying part of "BFTA" as is the conclusion to your journey, all emotions are released into a barrage of tears and euphoria at the same time as the melodies and climax flourish. The pain of of hours upon hours of non-stop striving are reaching their plateau. The creshendoe-like melodies are your anthem to succession; the profusion to a higher being.

With an Ep that pushes boundaries of not just musical technicality, but emotion, Addaura prove their worth amogst their contemporaries such as Fell Voices, Deafheaven, and WITTR. If you like atmospheric black metal you will love this.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

February 27th 2012

Just submitted the tracklist. Hopefull it comes through soon.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

February 27th 2012

I found this album particularly boring. If I had to rate it based on the two listens that I gave it I would place it as a 3/5.

Tyrael

20416 Comments

great album, need to relisten hard

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

February 27th 2012

I don't think that I could re-listen to it, nothing about it makes me want to go back to it.

Crysis
February 27th 2012

heard this was good but everything about it makes me think it won't be... i'll give it a listen later this week when im back on my usual pc

Digging: Katatonia - Kocytean

February 27th 2012

"If I had to rate it based on the two listens "

takes several listens to fully appreciate. I've listened already about 8-10 times and love it greatly.

@Tyr - check it bro

"heard this was good but everything about it makes me think it won't be"

what about it? because it's Cascadian BM?

Tyrannic

nice

very nice Tyrannic

also, any thoughts or constructive criticism is welcomed in regards to the review.

Hawks
February 27th 2012

Nice review. This rules hard.

February 27th 2012

I doubt that I will return to this album but since I agree that I didn't completely listen to it I will refrain from officially rating it so that I don't bring down the rating unfairly.

In terms of criticism I have two pieces of feedback. The first is that I would get rid of that analogy. Analogies are never used in objective attempts mostly because if what the subject that you are comparing is at all similar to what it is that you are comparing it to, then what you're comparing your subject to would be more like your subject rather than what it is that you are comparing your subject to. So unless you feel like getting highly specific as to what it is in your comparison that is so similar to your subject then I would scrap the analogy altogether.

Also, I would be interested in a little more description in your first paragraph to compensate for your analogy if you choose to scrap it, if I hadn't heard the album I wouldn't be so certain as to what it is that you are driving at in your introduction.

Thanks Hawks.

@Eclescticist - good feedback, I appreciate that. I was trying to portray the nature of the album since atmospheric black metal can be a bit difficult to describe at times. I was also trying to draw attention to the "spectacle" of this album rather than just another swimmer striving for a goal; the nature which is the art of the strive.

February 27th 2012

Solace Beneath a Greying Sky sounds pretty good a few minutes in.

February 27th 2012

I understand and I appreciate what you were trying to convey, however there are better ways of conveying your message and I hope my advice helps you with that.

February 27th 2012

"Solace Beneath a Greying Sky sounds pretty good a few minutes in"

yeah that's my fav track bro

"I understand and I appreciate what you were trying to convey, however there are better ways of conveying your message and I hope my advice helps you with that"

thanks bro it does, I'll keep that in mind for future reviews and/or revising the current if need be.

Wizard

This overall Ep length of 52 minutes is almost unheard in the world of Ep's,

Moonsorrow did an E.P a few years back that was 70 mins.

This sounds good, nice review.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

thanks system!

"Moonsorrow did an E.P a few years back that was 70 mins.

This sounds good, nice review"

Thanks Wizard; holly shat nutz thats a long EP. What gives? I mean its like why even call it an EP if it's gonna be that long.

Wizard
February 27th 2012

They have two new songs on it (one being 30mins long) and the rest are awesome covers.

DoubtGin
February 27th 2012

"overall Ep length of 52 minutes is almost unheard in the world of Ep's"

that's just wrong

February 27th 2012

Didn't know Moonsorrow's done any covers. Couldn't imagine who they'd want to cover.

Do you recall the name of the EP? I'd love to check it out.

February 27th 2012

yeah lol that's what I was thinking too Doubt.