The Police
Reggatta de Blanc

by someguest USER (23 Reviews)
February 25th, 2012 | 24 replies | 1,896 views

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

Many times pop music is made to enhance moments - many of them temporary - to make the current times more enjoyable. It draws entire crowds together on single notes and capitalizes on simple beats at the surface. It's flocked to not because of what it is, but because of what it represents. The times and the people you're with are only enhanced by it. Outside of its desired environment, many pieces within pop can be discarded without a slight afterthought because they don't have the authenticity to back them up in the long run. However, The Police are still relevant today, not because of what they did at the time, but how they did it. It was more than pop music, but at its core that's exactly what it was. And it holds its gripping power even as it continues to drift further from the spotlight.

Everyone in the band was classically trained; it's not that this matters when it comes to the legitimacy of the music, but it's this fact that allows the band to create simple music that's so gripping. The playing is simple at its core, but the focus on grooves and tugging at your spirit while remaining catchy makes it transcendental of sorts. As the trio blends ska, punk, and reggae with pop, they create something fun for everyone and something deep for the individual. "Message In A Bottle", the well known single from this album, displays this approach well. The lyrics of being the lost one in a world of billions can be very relatable for someone really paying attention, but the music has enough bounce and life for others just to get lost in the music. Sting and company understood this divide and created the right formula for both sides to be immersed within their music.

Although the band (read: Sting) became increasingly political and socially aware with time, many of the songs focus on personal tension between individuals (love) and the battle with oneself. "Bring On The Night" is a great example of the latter as the song shifts from a dark overtone to one which is more upbeat as the protagonist is relieved of his fear of day. And while the guitar gives the music its overall attitude, it's the rhythm section which solidifies their base sound extremely well. The drumming isn't complicated, but it's tasteful; the influence of jazz is incredibly apparent here, keeping the playing clean and well thought out. It would seem that the production may be an issue because of the age of the album, but there's really no noticeable flaws with it - everything is clear and distinct. At this time in their career, The Police knew exactly what they were going for and what it took to please everyone. If people were to pick up their music now, they would realize this still holds true.

Johnny Cash Johnny Cash With His Hot And Blue GuitarNew Order Substance
Deftones Koi No YokanDFRNT Fading
Radiohead In RainbowsArghoslent Hornets of the Pogrom
BigHans (2.5)
A slight Sophomore stumble....

themightyquinn23 (3)

February 25th 2012

This could be said for any of their albums starting with this one. I know I was 'supposed to leave', but this relieved some tension. You can blame the movie Lost In Translation and my unrecognized love for a woman for this one.

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

February 25th 2012

Sting is a huge fag but used to be cool

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

February 25th 2012

I don't really care for his solo work, if that's what you mean.

February 25th 2012

so dig outlandos the hardest but cool

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

February 25th 2012

Very good review, dude, and agreements all 'round.

TheNotrap

MESSAGE IN THE BOOOOTTLE

February 25th 2012

Very good review, dude, and agreements all 'round.

thanks gyro

ChuckyTruant
February 25th 2012

Sweet review. And Copelands drumming is fantastic.

Digging: Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

12030 Comments

I expect to bump this up

ChuckyTruant

You will.

12030 Comments

Album is nearly flawless. It's just that I'm not fond of the last 2 tracks. Bumped up.

iFghtffyrdmns
February 25th 2012

awesome review, though in my opinion, just that first sentence could be beefier. it works and says what it has to, but at the same time it does so in a pretty meager and unassuming way.
YOU'RE SOMEGUEST AND YOU'RE BACK FROM YOUR (aherm 3 day) HIATUS AND YOU SHOULD FUCKING ASSERT IT.
(aka with a better first sentence)

hey i'm glad you're back

February 25th 2012

so something along the lines of 'pop music sucks outside of the instantaneous'? lol

and yeah I'm a loser so I'm back already. thanks for the good word.

iFghtffyrdmns
February 25th 2012

More often than not, pop music is fabricated in the interest of enhancing a specific moment - most commonly a temporary one - with the hope of drawing every last drop of enjoyability and excitement out of that mere, ephemeral instant.

VERBOSITY BOOM

February 25th 2012

well i've been told i write a little too technically, so I toned down the language a little bit

maybe it's all preference though

dannyboy89
February 26th 2012

Won't neg this since I love the album.

But your review is extremely vague. You should make more specific descriptions about the music: the only song you mention here is "Message in a Bottle". Because of this, there shall be no pos from me.

Digging: Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

February 26th 2012

reviews are to describe the general sound of an album with some specific examples. if I were to break down every single part why would you need to listen to it?

omnipanzer
February 27th 2012

Great album, good selection feater.

Digging: Dead Combo - A bunch of meninos

BigHans
February 27th 2012

Havent listened to this in ages but I remember thinking this was their weakest album.