Anthrax
Stomp 442

by dannyboy89 USER (31 Reviews)
February 25th, 2012 | 12 replies | 3,411 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Anthrax stays the course, but does nothing special.

An Anthrax Story:

Episode VII: Stomp 442

After the release of Sound of White Noise, our heroes we're getting more commercial exposure, but at the expense of the support of their hardcore fans (something not uncommon with the rest of the Big Four, which seemed all to be veering away from their thrash roots). Anthrax certainly didn't sound the same: the riffs had more distortion, the drums had throttled back on the blastbeats, and the bass no longer seemed to occupy the privileged spot it once had. While Belladonna had distinguished himself for over the top falsettos and a superbly clean tone, Bush was doing the opposite: he sang in a baritone style, and sounded much like Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots (this was probably all on purpose, so as to blend in with the alternative rock fashion of the time).

Yet another factor which would dent Anthrax's sound was the departure of lead guitarist Dan Spitz. While it may not seem relevant to some listeners, Spitz possessed a clean tone, and could shred very well (he's easily one of the most overlooked guitarists in metal). Not replaced by another official lead guitarist, Paul Crook and Dimebag Darrell would fill in the blanks when it came to the solos.

So, at this time the band's lineup is:

Scott Ian: Rythm Guitars
Frank Bello: Bass
Charlie Benante: Drums
John Bush: Vocals

As I said, this album has plenty of missing ingredients. While the album gets going well for the first couple of songs, it's not long before boredom sets in. And that's the problem with this album: it's BORING.

The band can make enough good beats to catch your interest, but the album as a whole just doesn't deliver. Monotony, dullness and lack of any real rock n' roll inspiration drain this record like crazy. The band doesn't really seem to be having any fun at all here, they sound as if they played without wanting to.

While at least Sound of White Noise had some enyoable songs which can easily become guilty pleasures, Stomp 442 has arguably less interesting moments, and just feels too recycled. Do yourself a favor and don't pick this up unless you really need it.

Recommended tracks:

Judas Priest PainkillerSade Love Deluxe
Sade Stronger Than PrideSade Promise
Sade Diamond LifeSeal Commitment
2.6
Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (1.5)
An embarrassing misstep from the once great thrash metal legends....

11952 Comments

I waited some time so that my pushed reviews could sink in a bit. I know I'll get hate, but I did my best to make a balanced analysis.

Hyperion1001
February 24th 2012

another fine piece of art

Digging: Octex - Idei Lahesna

11952 Comments

It'll probably need more touches, but I edited it a bit.

11952 Comments

Yeah, this is probably one of my best reviews. I guess it's a bit easier to write about a record you don't like much than about a record you love.

February 25th 2012

So the actual review is 9 lines long. You don't tell me anything interesting in those lines for me to check the record out (that's the purpose of a review). You need to check how's a review properly done.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

11952 Comments

@insomniac: the idea of this review is that you don't check it out.

Insurrection

20767 Comments

worse than st anger

February 25th 2012

@ dannyboy - so.. then why are you doing this ? I thought reviews are meant to be read by people

Rastapunk
February 25th 2012

I think he meant that you don't check out the cd ;)

February 25th 2012

I understood that, that's why he gave it a 2.5 rating. But I was saying that through this review (more of a soundoff than a review) he doesn't really explain anything, he just mentions stuff.

February 26th 2012

11952 Comments

@ insomniac15: I would get into the songs, but the CD is too boring for that. That's why I didn't get into those specifics.

miketunneyiscool123
April 30th 2014

It took me some time, but I kinda like this album. Aside from some awful lyrics and boring musical
numbers, they jam out pretty hard on this one, especially on Random Acts..., King Size, and Drop The
Ball.